U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 08:06 AM

51 posts, read 105,528 times

Advertisements

being a retiree and potential wilmingtonite, you make your own action.Low key boardwalk strolls, restaurant visits, there are plenty.Bars and such...
the beach is nearby if you want it. I worry most about floods and storms there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 03:33 PM

2,973 posts, read 2,063,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansd View Post
being a retiree and potential wilmingtonite, you make your own action.Low key boardwalk strolls, restaurant visits, there are plenty.Bars and such...
Understood but being a retiree isn't really comparable to being someone trying to etch out a living, especially in a resort/vacation oriented place like Wilmington where there's keen competition for low paying jobs, especially given the demand being higher than supply in a resort area, which presses wages downwards.

Or the frustration of having to be somewhere at a specific time but dealing with lots of traffic from people who don't know where they're going and aren't on any kind of schedule. It's like comparing an experience as a vacationer to how life would really be day-to-day. There's really no comparison.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:28 PM

97 posts, read 19,659 times
I would move to Wilmington in a heartbeat. Great city.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 PM

97 posts, read 19,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaprayMarcell View Post
I moved to Wilmington in February and have been suffering the annoying agony of constantly search for things to entertain myself. The parks are boring and worthless. There is literally NOTHING to do any day of the week. The bar scene isn't really my thing but the few times I've managed to make it out, I was disappointed with the locals being so "southern" in that racial issues and north vs. south mentality is just too dumb for me to be bothered with again. I tried out the comedy club and walked around downtown in the evening but it's definitely not a place for family's or anyone over 30. I would rather gouge my own eyes out with my own fingernails than stay another 6 months in this dreadful town. The jobs are crappy and the wages are a complete joke. The cost of living here is comical. Paying $1300/mo. for "luxury" living which is really just a bunch of hogwash. The apartments have the cheapest quality, most poorly put together, bug infested, horrible layouts I've ever seen. Truly wouldn't recommend EVER waisting a moment of your time in this city or any city in the surrounding 200 miles.
Love the new thread !

Wilmington is a great city if you are a retiree, as another poster mentioned. Otherwise, you made a mistake and should move to a city that's creating jobs etc.

I, on the other hand, would like to move to a slower-paced city on the coast like Wilmington.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 AM

12,267 posts, read 9,493,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansd View Post
We love Wilmington and have visited many times. But having lived once in a flood-prone area in coastal CT we aren't anxious to repeat that mistake. We can deal with hurricanes and power outages and the inconvenience it causes but we can't tolerate flooding. A broker who recently took us around Wilmington assured us he was only showing us areas that hadn't flooded. Then my wife discovered pictures and videos of the same neighborhoods under water after Flo!

Old 08-10-2019, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 91 times
Wilmington is beautiful! I'm always on the beach lots to do out here for me. Definitely ideal for a retiree or someone planning to retire on the Coast.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 3,529 times
There are a few lovely and quiet neighborhoods around Wilmington (such as Leland, Ogden, Murrayville), not necessary to live in city limits. We do love the area, beaches, historical and boardwalk things. Good and bad things are here as in every city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina