Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 16,592 times

Advertisements

I'm 20, hail from the Charlotte exurbs (China Grove), and have lived in the Wilmington area since coming to UNCW for college in 2006. I find Wilmington to be quite nice on some levels, such as its huge historical significance, beautiful homes, and relatively pristine coastal setting. BUT...a pressing issue for me is that there is, in my opinion, very little to do, not to mention the traffic that, for a city of about 90,000, is horrendous. Are there any other Wilmingtonians out there that regard this town in a similar love/hate way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Yes, I agree. What little there is to do in Wilmington that interests me, I've already done several times. There's even less to do where I live in Pender County.

Shortly after I moved in here, someone told me that all there was to do around here was fishing or golfing. Neither of those interests me. I love the beaches, but it's been too cold lately to get any enjoyment out of them.

The trouble with the area is that there are few parks, nature trails, bicycle trails, etc. There is very little acces to the water (the ICW and creeks) if you don't own waterfront property or live in a water-access neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:13 PM

I suppose my main problem is that Wilmington has an absolutely pathetic music scene (unless you're into hardcore punk), particularly when you compare to other N.C. towns like Asheville, which is actually smaller by about 20,000 people. I like to fish, but not enough to warrant me staying here.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,641 times
I agree. I came from Concord, and miss that central location- close enough to the beach or mountains, tons of shopping and quick enough access to many cities. Around here, it's just Wilmington..........go down to Myrtle Beach...or go all the way to Raleigh or make the drive back to Charlotte (for shopping). And I miss being so close to the NC Zoo and Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, and loads of other things- plus now it's a good 5 hours to where I like to go in the mountains, whereas it used to be less than 2.

Traffic isn't as bad as Charlotte but is HELL for a small place...it is not necessarily the volume as much as it is the drivers! Ugh. The beach gets old because you don't go as much as you think you would, living here, and in the summer it's crowded with tourists and the problem is parking and hauling all your stuff- as opposed to being a visitor and staying ocean front. I only live 4 miles from the ocean but going to the beavh in peak season is a pain and not so much fun! (If I am alone maybe but hauling the kids...ugh)...and I know this isn't a young, single 20 something thing, but with the kids the beaches are either hot and sunny as hell, or windy enough to make babies uncomfortable or cold. It is hard to find a perfect day to go to the beach for a while without worrying about direct sunlight/sunburn or else wind.

Wilmington the city is dull after a while to me, it's nice enough in some ways, but ..................I agree.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
There is very little acces to the water (the ICW and creeks) if you don't own waterfront property or live in a water-access neighborhood.
Quote:
I suppose my main problem is that Wilmington has an absolutely pathetic music scene (unless you're into hardcore punk), particularly when you compare to other N.C. towns like Asheville, which is actually smaller by about 20,000 people.
These two statements I agree with completely. They are two things I really expected that Wilmington didn't deliver. There is a wide range of music here - but nobody I've ever heard of. Nothing in the ballpark that Asheville or Charleston have. Nor any of the pop that comes to Myrtle Beach, Raleigh, or Columbia.

Count me as one with a love-hate relationship with the place, too.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I think you guys have nailed it. Living near the beach and going to the beach are far different. With the crowds and the hassles, it just gets too hard many times. Take that away from Wilmington, and you loose most of what is good.

I lived on Oak Island for awhile and was ALWAYS disappointed in Wilmington. It seems it could, or should be so great, but it is developing in more of the same, rather than getting better.

Combining more of the same, with some of the less nice features of the town, and you don't get much.

Water access is a SEVERE problem, not only in Wilmington but in Eastern NC in general. The counties, state, and other government entities were asleep at the switch, and let most if not all of the access get away from them.

lln

Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 196,890 times
i have a little more of a hate/ hate relationship with wilmington. i've found it to be dull and boring the day i moved here and i still find it to be the same way. i find myself always driving to myrtle beach or raleigh just to go to stores and restaurants that don't exist in this place, and to see real bands play. it gets rather annoying when you have to drive 2 hours to see a band then turn around and drive 2 hours back so you can be at work in the morning. i've been here for 5 years now and i'll be very happy when i have enough money to move away.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm with you, pballnc. It was cool for me for about one school year, which I'll chalk up to being away from home for once in my life. After that, I started to realize that it was insufferably boring, at least to live in. I used to love Wilmington as a kid when I would come to visit, but actually living here has thoroughly killed it for me. I'll be in Atlanta this time next year.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM

65 posts, read 196,890 times
thats awesome carolina twang! i'm working on relocating myself.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM

What are some of the towns you've been looking into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina