U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 11,414 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say hello from Liverpool, UK. I am a huge nature lover and birdwatcher and am buying a place in Swan Quarter to use as a vacation home. I hope to be in the county 3-6 months of the year and would value any comments, recommendations and ideas any of you out there have. I am keen to make as much contribution to the local and online community as I can.

I would especially value any grassroots advice about insurance, transport, and local issues and events, that I am unable to find online.

Regards

Lisa

Last edited by Lady_Lucan; 12-13-2008 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:15 AM

451 posts, read 1,688,042 times
Be forewarned - it is very rural out there. While there will be lots of opportunities for boating and wildlife viewing, shopping will be limited. US Hwy 264 is the closest "highway" that will take you to Washington NC or the Outer Banks, which are the main shopping areas for that region. Belhaven NC is a smaller town that is closer by, but it doesn't have too much shopping.Not sure about insurance, but you'll have to have a vehicle of some type.Good luck!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Thanks for your comments. I'm aware of the isolation; that's what I'm going for, to be honest - it's what makes the nature watching opportunities so rich. I live in a big city in an overcrowded area of England and would relish the chance to have only a few neighbours and a wholly different pace of life for part of the year. Transport is more of a problem, as I prefer to use public transport or 'green' forms of getting around where possible.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,042 times
I don't think there is public transportation out there. However, there are lots of migratory birds though! I've never been out that way, but I have heard a lot about the location because I live relatively close by (Greenville NC area). The Outer Banks are awesome and that wouldn't be too far away.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 PM

I've been searching around and have managed to find a lady on Craigslist who will do me an occasional shuttle service to RDU airport, and have been in touch with a company in Hyde County who do a 'dial-a-bus' type service within the county, plus occasional trips to bigger towns/areas. I reckon between these, ridesharing, my bike and a kayak/small boat I should be able to get around nicely. Plus the Ocracoke ferry is a total bargain at only $1 each way

I'm very excited about it all and can't wait to see the birds and the beaches.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM

535 posts, read 1,561,120 times
It's pretty but it's way out there. That ferry ride is 2 hours I think.

Local issues. Hrmm. They just built a new courthouse "downtown" (well, it's as close to downtown as it gets). It's a town to drive in, not a lot is in walking distance. There is a little market/restaurant that has sandwiches and stuff, nice people.

Just north of town is a large lake that gets a lot of birds. Pretty place but the bugs can be rough.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 18,697 times
Lady_ lucan, did you ever move here? If so can you fill me in on what it's like please. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Hi ginbar. The sale is going through this week, so I'll be in a position to post info/updates this coming year.

Are you thinking of buying in the area?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 15,888 times
Hyde County and Swanquarter are very unique. I have spent time there for 30 years and have owned various land tracts there. The county is a wildlife paradise but it is remote, the mosquitos are oppressive(like no other place on earth, seriously). The locals are extremely friendly in general but can be very backwards. The local politics are crooked and that will translated down to you as a landowner. There is alot of controversy over property taxes, garbage diposal fees, sewer hook ups, etc due to the backwards/crooked politics. Hyde was made for animals and that is all. There are no grocery stores, it is so poor there that even the new dollar general store is now for sale. No business seems to be able to make it there. There is extreme flooding in the county during storms(hence the storm **** around swanquarter that will not likely hold back anything). Hyde is a wonderful, quiet wilderness community but there is alot wrong with it. Alot of out of towners come down there to buy real estate due to it's proximity to the coast and go home laughing at what they find. Don't ge tme wron, if you are a hunter or fisherman you will love it but otherwise it is very tough to live there, even for a few months.

Last edited by hlresources; 01-15-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 18,697 times
Hello Lady_ lucan,

Congrats on your sale. I look forward to reading your post info/updates after you move in and settle in.

We were looking at Hyde County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina