U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM

39 posts, read 70,863 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i was just wondering do you get many Irish people visiting your town during the summer months? Thousands of Irish students take part in a work and travel programme to the states every year, and a few head to Myrtle Beah just south of you guys. So i was wondering do any wander up your way and what kind of reception do they get or are they well behaved? Or perhaps is there already an Irish contingent in Wilmington? I was thinking about living in your town this summer, but i wanted to avoid the rest of the gang that comes over! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
I hear that there are british and irish people around downtown, but I have only met a handful. I believe Wilmington has a relatively strong irish-american contigent, but i suppose that isn't the same thing. I know we have a popular rugby team. I can't say that the irish have a reputation of being poorly behaved. We have a diverse array of poorly behaved people in downtown Wilmington, I assure you that they would blend in.

i'd recommend it over myrtle beach, for the summer. you won't have as good of access to the beach, but you'll have a downtown.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:06 AM

hmmm ok thanks man. I really want to avoid coming all the way to america just to hang out with irish ppl this summer tho u know? I cud just stay home and do that! But i've heard so many good things about wilmington that its my number one choice. I spent a summer in california, and while some ppl hadnt met any irish ppl and so were cool, others didnt take to kindly to the irish! I wud hate to come over and just be one in the crowd.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 AM

If you're concerned about there being too many Irish here, I wouldn't worry about that. I have never seen a crowd of Irishmen here. What problems did you have with some people in California?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Ah it wasnt much, there was just a lot of groups of irish students and so after a while they became less of a novelty around town you know, people began to get sick of them i think. I just wanna come over and mayb work in a bar, play soccer and meet some new people. I dont wanna travel all that way to hang with irish guys and girls.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah, I think you'd like downtown Wilmington. Good bars & pubs, 20-30 minutes to the beach in the summertime. Soccer & rugby have a much bigger presence here than other parts of the south. You'll get a small taste of what the southern U.S. is like, but just about everybody I've met here is originally from the northern U.S., or is one generation removed.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM

ok man thanks for all the help its been really helpful talking to somebody living there. Just one last thing was that i know its a "college town", but do all the students leave during the summer or are they still around town. Because coming from ireland alone not knowing anybody mite be hard, and i'd hope to make friends of a similar age. (i'm 21 but will be 22 in the summer)

Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinssmell View Post
Just one last thing was that i know its a "college town", but do all the students leave during the summer or are they still around town. Because coming from ireland alone not knowing anybody mite be hard, and i'd hope to make friends of a similar age. (i'm 21 but will be 22 in the summer)
Wilmington has a college, but I have never seen it as a college town. A community-college town, maybe. That's just my perception. Anyway, it is very busy here in the summer, I can't say it is due to UNCW, though.

Moving anywhere totally new is hard. I've done the same thing a few times. Wilmington is a little different than your average town, in that its very easy to meet people. Tourists are part of the fabric here, you know? You meet a lot of interesting people.

Myrtle Beach would be great if you wanted to see commercialized stuff, go shopping and spend most of your time at the beach, and maybe go dancing at the clubs.

Charleston is south of that. It is similar to Wilmington, more appealing I think, but also way more expensive downtown.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Oh right do u get many tourists into Wilmington? And lots of nationalities? i didnt know any of this haha...yeah i'm not looking to go aay for a "party summer" per say, just to meet knew ppl and all that (obviousy to party a bit as well, but to do other stuff too). So in that sense wilmington does seem like a good choice. I also had Chapel Hill in my sites, what would you think of there? From what i hear mrytle beach is huge party town, but the irish head there every summer too.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,677 times
Its a huge party town...you'll make plenty of friends, everyone one here is always waiting for the next party. (Especially in the summer because this is where everyone comes for vacation and most students either live here or choose to stay here for the summer because that's the whole point in going to college in a beach town.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina