U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,261 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are trying to find a small town within driving distance to a nice beach.we would prefer a quit rural town not to far from the beach 20-30 min or closer if its not too crowded. we have checked out the newport area on citydata.com and it sounds nice. we are concerned about the cost of renting and crime rate.i am an RN and my wife stays home and homeschools our three young boys. we currently pay 750 a month for a 5 bedroom house in ohio,we are curious how much a nice 3 bedroom home in a nice area will cost in newport and is newport in driving distance too the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM

713 posts, read 3,485,659 times
Smile Newport can cover a lot of ground

You are probably thinking Newport proper, but a Newport mailing address can cover the area between the two points on this map.

There are other small towns in the area worth consideration, like Beaufort, Cape Carteret, Cedar Point, Swansboro, and Morehead City. (Don't let the city put you off, it is a small town).

Newport is driving distance to the beach. But you should also check out Cape Carteret on City-Data. It is very quiet and should you choose at some point to not home school, the schools are very good.

Cape Carteret is about five minutes from the beach. In the general area (Carteret County) there are a wide variety of rentals. Check out the Carteret News-Times for a taste of the rentals (http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news-times_classifieds/for_rent/ - broken link).

The large rental firms all also have lots of long term and monthly rentals.

We have enjoyed going over to the Annual Newport Pig Pickin and Barbecue contest which I believe is the largest east of the Mississippi.

The whole area is full of great events like that. Many of the small towns have holidays parades and festivals. There's a great Saint Patrick's Day Festival in Emerald Isle. Swansboro has a steamed oyster festival. Morehead City has a chocolate festival in February. There's always something going on in Beaufort. Last year we rode over there to see Blackbeard's cannon after it was hauled up from the deep.

I just posted some photos of the Emerald Isle Christmas Parade and
a movie of the first couple of minutes.

You can also read a lot about the area on my blog which has several articles helpful to people considering a move here including one about the small towns of the area and another with the ten reasons we moved here.

Of course one of the best reasons to like the area is the weather. Check out the seasonal averages in the city-data profile, but as I like to say the proof is actually on the thermometer which is very close to 70F at our house today. The forecast is for 74F tomorrow. Those temperatures are erasing memories of the "winter" temperatures we had earlier this month when the mercury failed to get past the upper forties.

By the way, there are three hospitals in the area. From Cape Carteret it is 25 minutes to the one in Morehead City, 30 minutes to the one in Jacksonville, and 45 minutes to the one New Bern. There are also a number of clinics in the area. ECIM has several. We have one of theirs in Cape Carteret.

This map will help orient you to some of the area services.

Good luck figuring out your move.

Last edited by dsobotta; 12-16-2008 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: broken link

Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
LLN

4,989 posts, read 8,808,338 times
I am not trying to sell you a home. I teach with several people that live in Newport, and they love it. A bit more rural than I want, but certainly clost to the beach. Close to both Morehead City and New Bern. MHC is "sprawling" on the Newport side, so you would be very close to some nice shopping...a luxury in E. North Carolina.

I live in New Bern, and do not know about house prices, anywhere, but it sounds like Newport is what you are looking for, if you can make the numbers work.

lln

Old 12-16-2008, 03:34 PM

917 posts, read 2,098,452 times
You have a really good deal if you are paying 750 for 5 bedrooms! More like 750 for 2 bedrooms here. You might get 3 but the house would probably be pretty junkie.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,261 times
thank you dsobotta, the informatioon you gave is very helpful. which of those small towns do you think would have better deals on nice rentals until we decided where we wanted to buy such as 3 bedrooms for under 1000 a month

Old 12-22-2008, 12:08 PM

713 posts, read 3,485,659 times
Smile The farther from the beach the less expensive the rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed5 View Post
thank you dsobotta, the informatioon you gave is very helpful. which of those small towns do you think would have better deals on nice rentals until we decided where we wanted to buy such as 3 bedrooms for under 1000 a month
I would guess that Newport would have very reasonable rentals. It just depends a lot on supply and demand.

There is some military demand but I don't think it is putting pressure on rentals in those towns yet.

My guess is that you could find a good rental in almost any of the towns if you took the time to look.

Even over on the beach there are reasonable rentals this time of year but the houses are still generally more than they are on the mainland.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 AM

5 posts, read 26,109 times
Unfortunately, I must disagree with the public schools. I have two special needs kids, one in elementary, the other in middle school. The schools were unable to provide the same type of education they were getting in GA. But they wanted my kids in their schools to improve their school's overall standard test figures, even though they were not equipped to deal with my children's disabilities.

I started to homeschool my elementary student after the school misinterpreted my child's disability. My middle school student is still in public school, however he is very unhappy. The school cannot afford chorus or drama which is a passion of his that he had in GA. Those activities were even helping him with his disability. They do not offer these until high school. Also, I am accustomed to an area that has competitive preschool programs, these area fails in early education. My 2 year old was counting, naming letters, and learning spanish in GA. Neighboring daycare facilities were competing in who could offer the best early education for your little one. Here the daycare yards look so unkempt I wouldn't even walk to the door, much less leave my child there. The people who have lived here all their life and don't know that there is anything else, think that we have a great education system just because their kids are learning what they didn't growing up.

Homeschooling is a great option. NC laws are really simple. You file your school name and intent to homeschool with the non public school department. Then you can homeschool. You have an annual standardized test of your choice requirement. The law also requires that you maintain an attendance record. Other than that, everything else is recommendations. I have only been homeschooling for about 2 months, but I have already located a couple of homeschool groups. I know that one of them for Carteret county has a homeschool band. Still trying to familiarize myself with what is available.

The area has a lot to explore for the homeschooler. I took my son to Tryon Palace for the candlelight tour where they reenact life in the colonial days. He could walk up to the actors and ask them anything about there lifestyle. There was a colonial day militia camping on the front lawn demonstrating how pork was preserved in those days and they were also roasting some over a rustic camp fire. They had real colonial day weapons and a real working blacksmith. Also, if you were in the New Bern area, anyone 10 and up can take lessons and participate in the Fife & Drum Corps. I thought that was absolutely fantastic, but I am too far away to take advantage of it.

There is a lot of history in NC. It would probably make an excellent year or two stay to explore the area. Beaufort has many pirate enactments too, though I haven't been to one yet. Plus the NC Aquarium is nearby and even offers kayak tours, pier fishing classes, beach fishing classes, breakfast with the rays and more. There is also Fort Macon, the lighthouses and the USS NC Battleship that make excellent homeschool day trips. Barnes and Noble offers homeschool book discounts, however the nearest one is in Jacksonville. So, we rely heavily on the public library.

I hope this was helpful.

Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina