Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

Woah! I'm thrilled to have found this site but overwhelmed!
The facts: I'm 38, SINGLE, female, employed as an RN. I recently gave up my apartment in Maine (long story) for a move to Texas. Yuck! I took the first job I could get (to escape) which landed me here in CT. I'm looking to plant some roots and have limited criteria to met. 1) I'd like to be less than 2 hours from the coast. 2) I'd like to be in/near a city- I'm restless! 3) I want to stay on east coast, preferably north of FL. 4)I'm hoping to keep my rent at or under $700/mo. Am I nuts? North Carolina sounds good, but I'm clueless. People seem to favor N.C. over S.C. Hmmmm....? Then there's always Georgia....??? Help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 AM

713 posts, read 3,914,405 times
Smile Only one coastal city in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgamm View Post
The facts: I'm 38, SINGLE, female, employed as an RN. I recently gave up my apartment in Maine (long story) for a move to Texas. Yuck! I took the first job I could get (to escape) which landed me here in CT. I'm looking to plant some roots and have limited criteria to met. 1) I'd like to be less than 2 hours from the coast. 2) I'd like to be in/near a city- I'm restless! 3) I want to stay on east coast, preferably north of FL. 4)I'm hoping to keep my rent at or under $700/mo. Am I nuts? North Carolina sounds good, but I'm clueless. People seem to favor N.C. over S.C. Hmmmm....? Then there's always Georgia....??? Help!!!!!
If you want to live in a city on the coast in NC, the only choice is Wilmington. There are plenty of opinions here on the forum regarding Wilmington. My advice would be to visit and make up your own mind.

The rest of the Carolina coast is a mecca for people who are trying to avoid cities while indulging their love of mostly uncrowded beaches and fantastic waters for boating and fishing. We get off on early morning fishing trips and late night beach walks. We get by without fancy malls and the latest stores. And mostly we enjoy local restaurants since many of the chains are thankfully not represented in our area.

You could live just east of the Raleigh area or in Greenville and still be around two yours from the beach.

Though I am North Carolina born and bred, I have seen a fair number of folks head off to Charleston, SC and love it. I much prefer it to Myrtle Beach, but that's my personal taste. There are also people love the Virginia Beach area, though concrete board walks are not my cup of tea. Finally if you really want urban and trendy, you could head up to Annapolis, MD. There how long it takes to get to the beach depends on traffic.

I have no idea of the rents in other areas. Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

214 posts, read 819,928 times
Default If you love the coastal life Wilmington and Southport will be your best bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgamm View Post
Hi there and welcome to our forum. Your profession will do well in Wilmington or Southport, NC. in between these areas there is also another hospital Brunswick Community Hospital. You will do fine finding a job, your challenge will be where, as there are so many options. Wilmington, which is in New Hanover County will be slightly more expensive to live in, the other locations I mentioned are in Brunswick County, slightly less expensive. Each has it's own hospital and I am constantly seeing employment opportunities in your field. GA is a great state too, but the traffic in Atlanta is abysmal. Your rent is in line. All of the above are coastal, meaning you can have your cake and eat it too! Good luck and DM me if I can be of further assistance in helping you.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:51 PM

917 posts, read 2,292,735 times
If it were me I would stay in Maine, but then I'm a die hard northerner who has been here against my will for 21 years! That said, there is a hospital in Morehead City and also in New Bern. The rents would be in line and both areas are pretty nice but maybe you want more of the vibe that a large city would have.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 PM

2,305 posts, read 6,069,197 times
There is also now a World Class Heart Institute and the largest hospital in Eastern, NC in Greenville. Our rent requirements are in line with yours and it's less than 2 hours to the beaches along the Crystal Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina