U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Swansboro
79 posts, read 206,977 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Garbarino View Post
Matt,
Sounds like you got a whiff of Weyerhauser (pulp and paper co.) Not smelled often. I grew up here (as a Ward I might add) and it is not an issue.
Agreed. I grew up around there too and you very rarely smell the pulp mill. It does have an odd aroma though if you do happen to catch a whiff of it. The contruction projects are fairly recent and are just reflecting the fact that the area is growing.

Overall though, New Bern is going to be nothing like Wilmington or Carolina Beach so if that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed. Eastern North Carolina is, as a whole, fairly rural and the counties are fairly poor but New Bern is a fairly nice place. The areas out around Riverbend and Trent Woods/Country Club Road are some of the nicer parts of New Bern but they aren't in the city limits for the most part.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
404 posts, read 754,615 times
Reputation: 121
What would you say is different between Carolina Beach and New Bern? I have lived here for three years (Carolina Beach) and I don't see any drastic differences in the folks/recreation, just overpriced waterfront homes here with horrible taxes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
404 posts, read 754,615 times
Reputation: 121
Ok, spent a 2nd day in New Bern. I am going to agree it's time to drop the issue of considering it to relocate too. It's just too small and too run down. Honestly I know I will probably take flack for this, but it makes Wilmington look rich. Only the neighborhoods that have the 230k and up homes are clean and look nice. The rest in the $130,000 price range sit right next to run down trailers or some other obvious eye sore. Now, I am sure their is a diamond in the rough out there (I know new homes are going up north of town and they looked nice allbeit cookie cutter) however, I think New Bern is 10 years behind where I need it to be to move there.

Thanks for all that have replied!

Note: The smell I was talking about in the first part was mainly the waster Treatment plant which I was within a mile of, not a paper mill. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,365 times
Reputation: 16
Default Do not assume New Bern is Safe

On gangs and crime, there is a SERIOUS problem in New Bern. It is spreading beyond the projects. I am a white, female home owner in Trent Woods. Trent Woods is known to be one of the nicest areas in the New Bern area. I was assaulted in my home by a "bloodette" (female blood) I was also threatened by her friends that they would shoot my puppy me, and my entire family and my best friend/neighbor. I had to obtain 2 weapons just to feel safe. Last night the police told me that I was in imminent danger of a DRIVE BY IN TRENT WOODS. I now have to stay at an indisclosed location until April when my husband returns from Iraq. I witnessed these individuals drug trafficking and threatened to call the police. Now I am terrified for my life. SOMETHING must be done about these gangs. We have to stop pretending that they are just "wanna be's" Those people are EVEN more dangerous because they are trying to prove they are real gangsters by causing ridiculous amounts of violence. I heard of people getting shot and killed in Craven Terrace and Trent Court. Why is this not HEADLINE news? Its murder. The state needs to increase law enforcement in Craven County. There is just not enough police to make a dent in the crime. Be VERY careful who you meet and talk to. It is not a good idea to be too trusting. ALWAYS lock all your doors. During the assault I also got my husbands $600 italian leather jacket and my wallet stolen. Keep in mind, we are Marines and they were able to do this. If you see anyone driving up and down your street you do not recognize, Call 911. They are most likely "casing" the neighborhood
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,365 times
Reputation: 16
There are some nicely priced forclosures in Trent Woods. It is a beautiful town adjacent to New Bern. No eye-sores. Nicolas Sparks lives down my road. I got my home for 145,000. It was valued at 290,000. There are so many of them like that here you just have to look. It is 4 bed 2 bath 2 car garage etc... I have done many repairs so is prob worth more once the housing market gets back to normal
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
12,917 posts, read 8,423,752 times
Reputation: 10367
Quote:
Originally Posted by everett.katherine View Post
On gangs and crime, there is a SERIOUS problem in New Bern. It is spreading beyond the projects. I am a white, female home owner in Trent Woods. Trent Woods is known to be one of the nicest areas in the New Bern area. I was assaulted in my home by a "bloodette" (female blood) I was also threatened by her friends that they would shoot my puppy me, and my entire family and my best friend/neighbor. I had to obtain 2 weapons just to feel safe. Last night the police told me that I was in imminent danger of a DRIVE BY IN TRENT WOODS. I now have to stay at an indisclosed location until April when my husband returns from Iraq. I witnessed these individuals drug trafficking and threatened to call the police. Now I am terrified for my life. SOMETHING must be done about these gangs. We have to stop pretending that they are just "wanna be's" Those people are EVEN more dangerous because they are trying to prove they are real gangsters by causing ridiculous amounts of violence. I heard of people getting shot and killed in Craven Terrace and Trent Court. Why is this not HEADLINE news? Its murder. The state needs to increase law enforcement in Craven County. There is just not enough police to make a dent in the crime. Be VERY careful who you meet and talk to. It is not a good idea to be too trusting. ALWAYS lock all your doors. During the assault I also got my husbands $600 italian leather jacket and my wallet stolen. Keep in mind, we are Marines and they were able to do this. If you see anyone driving up and down your street you do not recognize, Call 911. They are most likely "casing" the neighborhood
You have now posted this exact same paragraph 6 different times. I now highly doubt that this actually happened because if you were really a marine, this would have been all over the news and your marine buddies would have certainly have helped you out because marines help each other out in times of trouble.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Location: this side of knoxville tn...
253 posts, read 490,982 times
Reputation: 268
Default im wondering now to???

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You have now posted this exact same paragraph 6 different times. I now highly doubt that this actually happened because if you were really a marine, this would have been all over the news and your marine buddies would have certainly have helped you out because marines help each other out in times of trouble.
thou i didnt see the post 6 times, im in wonder on why her first post was all about the gang, what happened to her, etc, and yet 3 minutes later, (listed right after she posted how bad it was at her house, she post another about how great her neighborhood is and how nice her house is....etc etc....now, which is it??ya got a great place and neighborhood or its over run my gangs and crime? just curious, maybe your new to this and didnt realize citydata shows your name and date/time of post when you write????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
 
29 posts, read 42,760 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetasslady71 View Post
thou i didnt see the post 6 times, im in wonder on why her first post was all about the gang, what happened to her, etc, and yet 3 minutes later, (listed right after she posted how bad it was at her house, she post another about how great her neighborhood is and how nice her house is....etc etc....now, which is it??ya got a great place and neighborhood or its over run my gangs and crime? just curious, maybe your new to this and didnt realize citydata shows your name and date/time of post when you write????
I'd like to know "sweetasslady" why you find it neccesary to bash people?
I've run into you before in another city data forum...you take delight in spouting your views and hate filled venom without fullly reading or understanding what others have said. If you had read..or understood what the op wrote you would have seen she never said her neighborhood was overrun by gangs or that her neighborhood was great...what she did say was this, "On gangs and crime, there is a SERIOUS problem in New Bern. It is spreading beyond the projects. I am a white, female home owner in Trent Woods. Trent Woods is known to be one of the nicest areas in the New Bern area. I was assaulted in my home by a "bloodette" (female blood) I was also threatened by her friends that they would shoot my puppy me, and my entire family and my best friend/neighbors."

She had an unfortunate incident with some gang members and said what happened to her. She sent another post..I'm assuming, to let a previous poster know that she got an affordable home at a substantially reduced price and maybe it's possible..if he looked around, he could do the same thing. I understood her post to mean she was feeling the encroachment of crime and gang activity...that it is spreading throughout New Bern and one incident reached her in her neighborhood..in spite of it being one of the "nicer areas" of New Bern.
Maybe if you took the time to be more compassionate you would have understood her comments too...comments from a frightened victim.
Then again..I've seen your over-exaggerations posted in another forum so your spouting here doesn't surprise me at all! Hopefully you'll learn to be less judgemental of others before you speak.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
 
29 posts, read 42,760 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You have now posted this exact same paragraph 6 different times. I now highly doubt that this actually happened because if you were really a marine, this would have been all over the news and your marine buddies would have certainly have helped you out because marines help each other out in times of trouble.
You really think that her repeating her story (6 times as you say), means she's not to be believed? Ever think that maybe she's warning others to be more aware and carefull of their surroundings?
Perhaps her Marine friends ARE helping her..by letting her stay with them until her husband gets home from Iraq.
I don't know her situation and neither do you...so why be so quick to judge?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral, FL/Miami, FL
40 posts, read 55,882 times
Reputation: 29
Simply put and this is based on pure observation: New Bern is a dump. Let's face it folks. Any differing in opinion is most probably based on emotional attachment by the locals.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top