U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 AM

424 posts, read 1,111,204 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to New Bern. I currently live in Carolina Beach, NC. It is very safe to walk around at night in Carolina Beach thanks to how well the local police have cleaned things up here in the last three years.

I know New Bern is by no means a rough city, however, as in most cities, there are likely a few spots that are probably places one would want to avoid living due to it being a concentrated crime area.

Is Craven Terrace one of those places to avoid?

This is for folks that live in New Bern and can give me specific streets to avoid. When contacting renters in New Bern, they don't seem to be very forthcoming with crime rates.

Also, what is an affordable place to live close to shopping and what not?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
I think a weekend trip to New Bern will do more to answer your question than anything. I would also recommend checking out the New Bern Sun Journal, online for several weeks. The paper is not much on line and not much more in print, but you should be able to discern where and where not to live.

We live in the Riverside Historic district. We walk the dogs at night as do several, that I know of, elderly women, and to my knowledge they have had no problems.

New Bern has "good" areas close to "bad" areas. I do know of some smallish apartments on N. Craven street. Which is on the Northern Outskirts but still very safe, it appears, of the downtown, high dollar, historic district.

Also, many of the older homes in all three historic districts have apartments for rent from time to time. Getting one of these, that probably will NOT be advertised, other than a sign in front, in the downtown historic district would be "da bomb." Safe, great neighborhood, and close to shopping.

While I think New Bern has right much crime, I think, other than drugs, which are pervasive, the vast majority of crimes are in certain areas at certain times. These will be immediately obvious on a brief visit.

And no, I would not live in Craven Terrace, though I thought that was gov't housing.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM

79 posts, read 277,544 times
Yes Craven Terrace is definitely a root of evil in New Bern. It's quite obvious when you drive by there that it's probably not somewhere you want to hang out... not even during the daylight hours. haha! But as a whole, New Bern is a very safe place... I grew up around there and have never felt unsafe. There are some nice apartments that have been built on the south side of New Bern, around Hwy 17. This area is also close to most of the shopping in New Bern which is located along Hwy 17 (aka Martin Luther King Blvd).

The historic district butts up to some of the questionable areas of town so really it would depend on WHICH house/apartment you were looking to rent in those areas. Some spots are fine and some I would probably be wary of renting. Not BAD areas... just not as good as other areas.

Definitely take a trip to New Bern if you can arrange it. You're right that it's pretty easy to see which areas are good and bad.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Are their any places for live music or perhaps live comedy?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
LLN

My daughters go somewhere on Broad Street, near The Chelsea restaurant for live bands on Friday nights. THere is also a coffee shop, can't recall the name, that has live music some time.

Not sure about the comedy...the city council and mayor generally provide most of that.

lln

Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 PM

79 posts, read 277,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Not sure about the comedy...the city council and mayor generally provide most of that.

lln
LOL

There are one or two places in town that have live bands - one being the place downtown that LLN spoke of but I can't remember the name of it. It has changed names too much! Captain Ratty's is downtown and has a piano bar. Mickey Milligan's has some bands from time to time also...they're on Trent Rd. Can't think of any others off the top of my head - there could be a couple of others.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Default My Trip to New Bern

Ok, so I went to New Bern today.

Here are some observations.

This town is seriously "under construction" Now hopefully it isn't perpetually under construction, meaning that things are trying to be built but so underfunded they remain under construction for years... However, it does appear that the historic downtown area is being renovated nicely especially the are right before Front and Broad Street ON Broad Street.

It smells- Now before anyone gets there undies in a bunch, it IS by the river and this makes the downtown and river area neighborhoods smell like "lo-tide" or the equivalent of stagnent pond. I even traveled to Glenburie Park and it just so happened to be RIGHT next to a Waste Treatment Plant. This means that from Glenburie Drive to Glenburie Road (North part of town) during the right wind you are going to be blessed with the smell of nasty. And to add to this, even the ocean and intercoastal areas of Carolina Beach smell like this when the tide is low, so that's not a huge turn off to me, but would be to my fiance.

Now, I didn't get to spend much time there, but the first impression I got was not very good. Overall the area seemed pretty poor economically.

I found the Riverbend area to be a gorgeous afluent suburb just about 8 miles outside of town to the Southwest. In fact, I LOVED this area. I am not usually much for the rich cookie cutter communities, but this one was very well put together and houses ranged from $170 on the low end all the way up to some million dollars joints right on the river. If I could afford to live anywhere in New Bern this would probably be my first pick. However, it is likely out of my price range.

I did not get to see anything outside of North of town, downtown and the Riverbend area. Oh yeah, and the area near the Harris Teeter and Walmart I scoped out very briefly.

Where should I make sure I check out next time I go to New Bern?

I will likely be relocating with my company (provided they have an opening there when they land in the next six months) however, my fiance works in a doctors office, do you all think she could find work paying better then $8.50 and hour like she currently makes in Wilmington doing the same thing in New Bern?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 AM
LLN

Sounds like New Bern is just not right for you. My advice is don't try to force the issue.

Good Luck finding a place that is suitable.

lln

Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 PM

33 posts, read 93,944 times
Matt,
Sounds like you got a whiff of Weyerhauser (pulp and paper co.) Not smelled often. I grew up here (as a Ward I might add) and it is not an issue.
The projects are almost done on the bridge and Broad Street. Getting ready for 300 year celebration.
It's a great town. If you like the water and close to the beach, you will love it.
What are you looking for in a town? How in the world did you end up at Glenburnie Gardens?
You might want to go on line and read a little about New Bern. Colonial Capital of NC, Settled in 1710 by the Swiss. Lots of history. Next visit, take the trolley and you'll have a new appreciation for the town.
Good luck!
Martha

Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Glenburie Gardens? Is that the park? I ended up there because there were a few houses for sale up that way that peaked my interest. Is it strange someone would go there?

Anywho, I think my timing for coming to see the town was poorly planned. I will try to spend a full day up there later this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina