U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM

12 posts, read 29,271 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I have taken some time to read posts here about the Wilmington and beaches areas and have some additional questions.

We are a family of two, myself and my 11 year old daughter who has autism and is on a protocol for full recovery.

I have researched schools and the special education programs and realize I need to meet in person before making a decision of this magnitude to ensure my daughter's success in a new educational environment.

In addition to the school program, I am looking for community resources that value her strengths, and not focus on her limitations or sensory issues when out in public. She thrives in Art, music, sports such as ultimate frisbee, soccer, baseball, and of course the ocean.

Autism can be very isolating - a community that offers opportunities to be included as a family, would be awesome.

Currently we reside in Central Oregon and would be considered more liberal than conservative. I see alot of mention towards religion on this forum - our faith is geared more towards buddhism and spirituality. I have prayer flags waving in my front yard and a Save Tibet sticker on my vehicle if this helps to paint a picture.

I am looking for a home for us, a place with open acceptance, compassion and understanding of all people. No I am not naive.

Culture, diversity, great music, local theater scene, natural food stores, homeopathic docs and more....

I am self employed and can work from any location.

Thanks much for your help, I look forward to hearing more!

Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
LLN

4,984 posts, read 8,771,476 times
First of all, I hope all works out for you and your child.

I would opine, based on living in E NC and visiting friends in Oregon, that the two places are very, very different. One is not better or worse than the other, but just different.

I would also opine that once away from the first row or two of beach houses, E NC is still pretty "limited" in what it offers.

I teach and fish, and I am in a perfect position in life, living in New Bern.

I would also say that the longer your list of requirements or desires or nice to haves, the bigger the town/city you are looking at, and unfortunately, you rule out many smaller really cool places, that just cannot provide the broader scope of what you need.

Obviously, Wilmington is the big city on the coast of NC. Other places to look would be in Morehead City/Beaufort, New Bern, Elizabeth City, Williamston, and Washington. Greenville, is an easy day trip to the beach, a couple hours from big water is the second biggest place down this way.

While I love New Bern, and know it has active theater (my daughter does sound and lights for the main and secondary New Bern companies) and there is a small live music scene, I am not sure about the type of medicine you are after being available.

As for your child, you will need to look and find the right match and I don't think generalities will help. There can be/could be a middle school in a district that has exactly what you need, whereas the next nearest middle school would be short. While we certainly work with Autistic Children, I don't have a feeling, relatively, as to how good or bad our specific program is. I do know, for sure, that our school, Tucker Creek Middle School is superb and our EC department is very very good, but somehow I feel that it may not measure up to Oregon in regard to options available and scope of services--Just a feeling. But what we do we do good. Our band and art programs are also superb.

I teach, by the way, in Havelock, about 1/2 way between MHC and New Bern, home of the Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point.

Anyway, the bottom line, is that I would narrow your list to ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST HAVE's and in doing so, you will open up more options/areas. WIlmington will be a temptation, due to its size, but a lot of us do not live there, for our own reasons. The smaller towns offer so much in depth, if not breadth.

I am not a realtor, and not trying to sell you someothing, just addressing the area/areas that I know about.

good luck.

lln

Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 29,271 times
Thank you for the time you put into replying to my questions.

We live in a very small town in Oregon with no resources for Autism or any special needs. The school system does the bare minimum. In fact, two of her special ed teachers have been begging us to move to a bigger city for a couple of years.

My family lives in Virginia Beach and on up the coast to NYC. While we could go either place, I was hoping for a year round mild climate that is kicked back with no snow to shovel.

We will be visiting soon, with any luck the weather will be above 50 when we do.

Take care, Andrea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina