U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,343,281 times

Advertisements

I'm aware there are multiple threads on here pertaining to Wilmington,but my question is a little different-
Is Wilmington considered a 'college town'? I see there is a university right there so I assume there will be many college age kids afoot,plus some of the information I've looked up on there give that feel. There seem to be many bars and clubs there as well.
I used to live in a big college area and prefer not to have all that action around.
So would this be an ok place for people over 30?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 PM

22,770 posts, read 26,783,336 times
It is, but mainly in certain areas. Downtown, around UNCW, and around Wrightsville Beach.

When you head south toward Monkey Junction it thins out. The southern part of the county is more family-oriented and retiree-oriented, I have noticed.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,343,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
When you head south toward Monkey Junction it thins out. The southern part of the county is more family-oriented and retiree-oriented, I have noticed.
lol is it really called Monkey Junction and can I find it on the map? That's also a nickname they had for a town in NJ I used to live near.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 48,484 times
Yes that is the name of the intersection where Wal-Mart and all that are, but i think it is actually in Myrtle Grove area, but im not sure.

Wilmington Does have its college, UNCW, but the city is big enough to where you dont really get that feel. I dont live there, i live about four hours away, but my family owns a house down at Kure Beach, so i am down there very frequently.

If you are around the school and downtown, u will find a few bars and the like, but the majority of the city is just like any other city, minus the huge boom in population during the summer due to tourists coming down to the beachs

Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM

22,770 posts, read 26,783,336 times
I believe they renamed Monkey Junction into "Myrtle Grove". It is where College Rd. and Carolina Beach Rd. intersect.

If you look at a map, and draw a horizontal east-west line across Wrightsville Beach, through UNCW, and through downtown.. that's your main college corridor. Southward, toward Hoggard High, Pine Valley CC, Masonboro, Echo Farms, etc., including Monkey Junction, you are talking more family-oriented. That's just a rough estimate, though.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 PM

424 posts, read 1,129,316 times
And yes, they call it monkey junction because it used to be where circus side shows set up shop along the side of the road. Eventually they even built a zoo just down Carolina Beach road. The side shows were a long long time ago, but it kept the name. (information source article in Snow's Cut Monthly 2007 issue)

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM

217 posts, read 1,040,339 times
Wilmington really only feels like a college town when you are anywhere near the University. I live in the Ogden area and it does not seem like a college town at all over here. So, I would say it really depends on what part of town you would live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina