U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM

88 posts, read 179,918 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Raleigh for almost four months now, and my parents are considering moving somewhere along the coast of NC within the next few years. My mom's decided that this spring she would like to rent a house for a week or so, and she's been looking at Topsail Beach.

Any thoughts on Topsail? I'd appreciate your opinions

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM

1,851 posts, read 5,264,638 times
Beware bargains on North Topsail Beach. A couple good hurricanes and it's gone (google up Fran and topsail). South Topsail is OK, although I personally would want sound side vs oceanfront.

Honestly, if I was looking for someplace to move to, I'd do Wilmington, or someplace inshore, vs oceanfront.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM

291 posts, read 765,999 times
Your folks might want to look at Hampstead - close enough to the beach to get there quickly when you want to go....easier access to the amenities of Wilmington when they need/want them - less expensive to buy a home. Topsail Beach (the southernmost of the 3 towns on Topsail Island - North Topsail - Surf City -Topsail Beach -) has a wonderful community feel to it - but it is a long way down there from the Surf City bridge...fine if you aren't very active and don't want to leave the island much, but I would find driving about 13 miles just to get to the bridge a bit tiring every time I wanted to go to a large grocery or get to dr's appointments, etc. The beaches are incredible though and everyone I know who lives over there is so nice. Just depends on what they are looking for, for which you didn't give us that much information. Just let us know more about what they are seeking.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,160,359 times
My brother has a place in South Topsail, and it really nice. More of a relaxing family type beach, without all the hustle and bustle.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 PM

88 posts, read 179,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
Just depends on what they are looking for, for which you didn't give us that much information. Just let us know more about what they are seeking.
MTNesters, I honestly wasn't sure exactly what they were looking for myself. Since this is going to be their spring vacation, I didn't know if they wanted a nice vacation spot or if they wanted to see if it would be a good place to settle down, but I just got off the phone with mother and asked her a little more.

They are looking for a nice beach (or area close to the beach) to move to. I'm thinking that while my mother first asked me if I could find out more about Topsail, that is not going to be the place for them...too quiet, not enough to do. They are looking for somewhere where they can walk out their front door and walk to restaurants and shopping. My parents love Key West for this reason, and Key West is their usual vacation spot. However, now they're looking for a place to move to and call home, not just vacation.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM

424 posts, read 1,111,204 times
Topsail or (Top-Sull) Island is a very narrow island and does experience some erosion problems, but I believe you can still buy there relatively cheap in comparison to other spots. I would also look at Oak Island. It has a LOT more stuff that is affordable and the area is exploding around, not to mention it's a much bigger island land wise, so you are safer if you live sound side during hurricanes. Oak Island is very much a place people are retiring too. I would even look Carolina Beach too depending on how much they want to spend. You can buy decent houses for about $250k in Carolina Beach a safe distance from oceanfront but a very very short walk right now. I would suggest a nice condo for them unless they want a yard.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
The issue with Oak Island is the Cape Fear River.

I lived on the island for several years. The Cape Fear dumps out, and the water flows down the coast, right past the Oak Island beaches. The water is not necessarily unsanitary, it is just not very clear. I was astounded in the difference between Oak Island and Ocean Isle, just a bit farther down the coast (actually sw). The water just does not compare with the clarity of the water in the Emerald Isle/MHC/Beaufort area. If you get in a boat, and go out the Cape Fear and turn left, up past Bald Head you can sometimes see amazing start contrast in water clarity as you approach the actual Cape.

There is a reason that OI is one of the last places on the East Coast with land that is still available for the average guy.

Before I get bashed by the Chamber of Commerce, I lived there. It was certainly good enough for me, I am just sayin'.

lln

Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

291 posts, read 765,999 times
"They are looking for a nice beach (or area close to the beach) to move to. I'm thinking that while my mother first asked me if I could find out more about Topsail, that is not going to be the place for them...too quiet, not enough to do. They are looking for somewhere where they can walk out their front door and walk to restaurants and shopping. My parents love Key West for this reason, and Key West is their usual vacation spot. "

Hmmm....I don't know if this area will be right for them or not....unfortunately, Topsail Island isn't that pedestrian friendly in a Key West sort of way. I certainly wish it were.....I wish all our areas were! I'm thinking from what I've seen of this coastal area (I admittedly don't know much about Carolina Beach and that area), that Southport or New Bern might be a better fit for the lifestyle they want. Wilmington has some new areas that include shopping, restaurants and housing, Mayfaire and one under construction, Autumn Hall, that are pedestrian friendly, with a variety of housing choices, depending on what their price point is. The downtown area of Wilmington is lovely and walkable(although it creeps me out a little to think about walking around after dark down there!) Each area has its own pluses and minuses...Topsail Beach isn't pedestrian friendly but has gorgeous beaches, wonderful people, a few small restaurants, but like I mentioned before, the ride up to the bridge to get off the island might get old. Surf City spans both sides of the bridge and has more amenities, but again, not much of a walkable setting. They need to take their time and visit some of the areas and see what they think. We really wanted a little coastal village to walk around in, but ended up settling in Hampstead to be on the water and have our boat in our backyard and look out on the marsh and close enough to Wilmington for many amenities and easy access to I-40....not a bad compromise for us!

Last edited by MTNesters; 01-03-2009 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: to put in quotation marks

Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM

424 posts, read 1,111,204 times
I forgot about that, you are DEAD ON about the murky water in OI.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,188 times
My sister vacations there all the time and loves it soooo much..

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina