U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 PM

844 posts, read 2,678,218 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are looking to hopefully retire to the NB area within the next year or so (that's if we don't decide at the last minute on HOT Florida), But, as of now, we both like the NB area.

We've been down a couple of times now, and have driven through the various NB areas, i.e. Looking for Information on the various New Bern Developments; i.e., Carolina Pines, Taberna, Fairfield Harbour, Plantation Harbor, and Carolina Colours, etc., but have no idea as to the differences, positives, negatives, association costs, and ammenities each offers. From the little I read, Carolina Coluors looks to be expensive, to include the Assoc. dues. We've also looked non development areas like Brices Creek, and Tucker Creek; We liked Brices Creek the best. What are the advantages of being in a planned development over owning a simple home in an area like Brices Creek, etc?

So, would appreciate if you guys can give us somme feedback as to what area you setteled in, what you liked best about it, what you don't like about it, and association costs, etc.

You can send a message if you don't want to publish here.

Thank you,......marc & Joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 AM

Default OK, where are you New Berner's, and othe local area folks?

OK, where are you New Berner's, and othe local area folks? We've got 1-2 years before retirement, so would like to get some good info from the folks who actually live there, Vs the real easte folks.

Thanks,.....marc

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,270 times
.....so would like to get some good info from the folks who actually live there, Vs the real easte folks.
As a real estate broker-I gotta chime in. It is a very tall order to discuss the neg./pos. of the association costs, and ammenities of Carolina Pines, Taberna, Fairfield Harbour, Plantation Harbor, and Carolina Colours, etc. It is really based on your preference. I would highly encourage you to contract a qualified Buyer's Broker (Not a listing broker) who's job is to research all of these things (and more).

Please keep in mind-A broker will give limited service to a customer but will give complete service to a client.

Maybe this will help a little. Here are the average sold prices of a few New Bern area subdivisions. Sold prices are the average for 2008
Trentwoods: $290K
Fairfield Harbor: $257K
River Bend: $204K
Brices Creek: $257K
Taberna: $300K
Carolina Colours: $481K (Only three sold)

Old 01-17-2009, 04:22 PM

577 posts, read 1,736,620 times
Also keep in mind Fairfield Harbor is in a ugly battle with the managment group over its golf coarses and pools. Right now both golf coarses are shut down, and who knows what will happen with them.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,752,356 times
Since you asked:

I live in New Bern in a historical neighborhood. Not the MacDaddy downtown, but in Riverside.

I do not want to offend you, but moving to a historical town, then living in a new development just seems disconnected cognitively.

I would steer clear of Fairfield Harbor. As stated earlier, both courses are closed and while the area and yacht club are good, I cannot believe that the clubs closing will be good. It is also about 8 miles down a deer infested road, then three more miles across the Neuse to New Bern. Addiing 12 or so miles, one way, gratuituously, to your nearest support areas does not seem smart to me.

I know a lot of people who live in Taberna. I lived in a lot nicer area in Charlotte, but people tend to tell you pretty quickly they live "in Taberna" so I guess it is big time. I find the pettiness amusing. The area is fine, but seems wierd to come to a historic area and live in new stuff. I hope you would not care, but there are a number of Marines in Taberna since it is convenient to Cherry Point MCAS. That to me would be a plus, but some people are screwed up and don't want to live near military folks. Honestly there is nothing at all wrong with Taberna, I just don't get it.

Carolina Colours may make it and take off some day. Apparently lots have sold, but not that many houses. I am not a long time local, but have heard many many comments from natives that our electric rates (we all buy from town of New Bern) are very high due to infrastructure that was put in to support Carolina Coulors and then not having the revenue from homes to pay for it. So..we pay. If I was looking to move there I would not mind that one bit, but I have heard more than one local make snide remarks about Carolina Coulors.

I think there is a new Harris Teeter (IMHO an excellent food store) going in between Taberna and CC. Both of those are on the east side of New Bern, 10 minutes closer to the beach, if that is important.

Brices Creek -- suburbia 101. Fine. Nice Place Not a real direct way to get there but my kids have a lot of friends there so we make the trip frequently. You are close to the OUTBACK at Brices Creek.

Trent Woods. Very pricey if on the water, seems like a bunch of wannabes if not on water.

Carolina Pines. I would put it a notch below Brices Creek and Taberna, several below the limited homes in Carolina Colours.

Riverbend is another area, south of New Bern on US 17. It seems pretty nice, and I think is well thought of. I would say those homes were built around the golf course there, probably early 70's through early 90's. Not real new but good brick homes that are well maintained. Lots of pines. I saw a really hot mom roller skating with kids there one day, so...nevermind.

One more time. I am very very biased toward the historic aspects of New Bern and would encourage you to look at either the downtown district (ker ching), Riverside, or Ghent before going to a development.

I am not a realtor and I am giving you my OPINIONS.

lln

Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Some nice insight LLN

Some nice insight LLN; appreciate it.

Thanks,.....marc

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM

917 posts, read 2,092,115 times
Are you coming here because you are into sailing? If so Oriental is where you will be happiest.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 AM

Thanks Ann, but we're not into sailing (yet)

We're mainly trying to make a decision as to moving into a community, or just a local neighborhood. Communities have their perks, but not sure about covenants, etc., and that's why we are asking for comments from folks. As Bill noted above, the comments may be swayed from the individual's perspective, but at least that is something. LNN brought up some good info on Fairfiels Harbor which we wern't aware of.

We will follow Bill's suggestion that we work with a good buyer's broker.

Thank you,.......marc

Old 01-26-2009, 04:40 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,752,356 times
In hindight, I may have been too "harsh" on Taberna. A lot of people like that area a lot, I just find it comical that they tell you very quickly where they live. "I live in Taberna."

We were at a newcomer's function at church and the first words out of a lady's mouth were "We bought in Carolina Colours" She got some looks!!

I am sure it is me, but that stuff just turns me off. Not rational.

My daughter's boyfriend about hit another deer on his way to Fairfield Harbor (he rents a small place there) last night. It is a very frequent occurrence.

And speaking of covenents, the Historical Society (frequently referred to as the Hysterical Society) is very very tough on you in any historical district, so maybe that is not a good idea for you. About all I do is fish, so it doesn't bother me, but if I were handy, or had initiative, or face, if I was not sorry, it could raise issues.

When it comes down to it, it is what you like. There are not perfect places and in homes, possibly more than anywhere else, do not let perfect by the enemy of good enuf!

lln

Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 18,049 times
New Bern is a wonderful area to retire. It's still a small town yet with big city advantages.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2009 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: realtor solicitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina