Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 11,326 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of purchasing a piece of land for retirement in a golf course community called Plantation Harbor, which is in Havelock. Lots seem to start at around $50,000, which is great for our price range, but I'm concerned because this seems really cheap compared to similar communities in other towns. Also, none of the lots we've looked at this past summer have sold yet! Is there something wrong with this community, such as flooding, that we're not aware of, or is it that property is just not selling in NC?
We are from out of state and don't know much about the area, so any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,220 times
Havelock is mainly a military town. Its very small and no jobs unless military related. Its always been one of those towns you pass through on the way to the beach and thats about it. Some people who attempted to retire at the coast have had to move further inland because they cant afford the million dollar prices and these small pass through towns have had developers trying to take advantage. Further up highway 70 is Newbern which I would recommend you look at first. Lots of Golf coarse communities and historic areas nicer all around. Fairfield Harbor has been doing well,and property on the Trent river is popular. Downside to theis area mostly retired folks not many good jobs, Pollution has been an issue with the Neuse which runs from Raleigh into the pamlico sound. It has lots of fish kills caused by Phisteria outbreaks and dead zones in the sound. This can cause a real bad stench when its 98 degrees outside and only a small breeze. Newbern tries to improve the river but with increase in up stream population and Hog farms it will only get worse. Check out Pinehurst, southern pines maybe even SC. lots of good golfing. Good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,277 times
Default Putting it in another perspective

I think that since Plantation Harbor is not in New Bern, the lots are selling for less than other developments, especially ones like Carolins Colours, and the others that have been around awhile. I'm sure they started out as what seemed like low prices too. PH is really not that far from New Bern.

I had considered PH myself, but I do not want to be in a planned community where they tell me where I can and cannot put a fence. While those kind of covenents are for the good, and help ensure the area remains upscale, I just don't like them.

I believe PH will grow into a nice community, and this could be the opportunity to get in while prices are somewhat depressed.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 PM

8 posts, read 29,358 times
Most likely this response is too late for you but I will give you my take. My husband and I narrowed our retirement possibilities to Eastern or Western NC or North GA. After 2+ years of looking, comparing and analyzing and looking exhaustively at Taberna in New Bern we chose Plantation Harbor. We were fortuante to find a place on the water because we have a boat. We couldn't be more pleased. The trip down Adams Creek Road leaves a little to be desired but it's not bad. Once inside our community we love it!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Can you please tell us more about Plantation Harbor?

TYAYGM,

We would be interested in knowing what the HOA dues, taxes, and home owners insurance are.

Do you need flood insurance in PH?

Would also like to know what the restrictions are; can you have a fence, or park your mobile home in the driveway,etc?

How is medical care for retirees?

Not trying to be nosey, but the best source for information are folks who are actually living in the area.

Thank you,.....marc

Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 29,358 times
Marc - I'll try to answer your questions.

Taxes and Insurance are very reasonable. HOA dues are $70/month. We have flood insurance because we are on the water. The inside lots I can't imagine why it would be needed. We believe a fence is allowed because we've seen one but we can't remember what the by-laws say. As for parking a motor home in your driveway, there is a fenced / gated area at the back of the community where everyone parks motor-homes, boats, jet skis, etc. Because we are retired military we use Cherry Point which has very good medical care. The hospital in New Bern is great for everything except cardiac and I understand the hospital in Morehead City has a good cardiac unit. Plantation Harbor is about 10 miles from Morehead / Beaufort and 20 from New Bern. Hope I answered your questions.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Default I've heard that Home insurance is now $2K-$3K

I've heard that Home insurance is now $2K-$3K per year, and that has me concerned.

Do you pay city taxes in PH?

Wow, I had heard that Craven Regional was pretty good for cardiac? That you don't recommend it is interesting; I have more homework to do.

Regards,....marc

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,554 times
Default Enjoying Plantation Harbor

If you are looking for reasonably priced lots in an established community - then Plantation Harbor should be on your list. We recently purchased a house in the community and moved from MD to NC. Best thing we've done in a long time.

The community has many ammenities such as a clubhouse, tennis, pool, boat ramp, boat & RV storage, as well as golf. When we were looking we were concerned about communities that had only an artist's rendition of what would some day be developed. The problem is you don't know how long unitl "someday" arrives. With Planation Harbor the community is already established and amenities are curretnly being enjoyed by home owners.

The community is quiet, people are very friendly, and the opportunities to enjopy nature are everywhere. Beaufort, Morehead, and New Bern are not that far.

Approx 3 years ago, I purchased a lot in the community to build my dream home. Lucky for me, I had the opportunity to move ahead of schedule and there was a lovely existing home available. Having built my previous home, there were downsides to committing to do that again. I couldn't be happier to be living here now - rather than waiting to build. It may work out as a plus for someone else, that would like to have my lot. This lot is number 84 on the web-site, and is situated on a corner, we currently live on lot 50. This community is very well established. We would be very happy to show you the community. Thanks Marty and Kathy.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM

269 posts, read 943,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyeggman View Post
If you are looking for reasonably priced lots in an established community - then Plantation Harbor should be on your list. We recently purchased a house in the community and moved from MD to NC. Best thing we've done in a long time.

The community has many ammenities such as a clubhouse, tennis, pool, boat ramp, boat & RV storage, as well as golf. When we were looking we were concerned about communities that had only an artist's rendition of what would some day be developed. The problem is you don't know how long unitl "someday" arrives. With Planation Harbor the community is already established and amenities are curretnly being enjoyed by home owners.

The community is quiet, people are very friendly, and the opportunities to enjopy nature are everywhere. Beaufort, Morehead, and New Bern are not that far.

Approx 3 years ago, I purchased a lot in the community to build my dream home. Lucky for me, I had the opportunity to move ahead of schedule and there was a lovely existing home available. Having built my previous home, there were downsides to committing to do that again. I couldn't be happier to be living here now - rather than waiting to build. It may work out as a plus for someone else, that would like to have my lot. This lot is number 84 on the web-site, and is situated on a corner, we currently live on lot 50. This community is very well established. We would be very happy to show you the community. Thanks Marty and Kathy.

Marty,

From your exerience... would you say that PH is kid friendly? Or is it mostly retirees?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2015, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,582 times
I know this post is old, but we are moving to PH in about a week and a half and can't seem to find a phone number for the HOA. Do you happen to have the number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina