U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,354 times

Advertisements

Hi!
It looks like my brother is transferring from Quantico to Lejeune. Can anyone tell me what nicer towns are in the area with a commute under 30 minutes that also has a hospital his girlfriend who is a nurse can work at? They are in their mid/late 20ís and he has a two year old boy. Somewhere nice that a young couple could still enjoy. They both love going out on occasion. I was thinking maybe somewhere between there and Wilmington? Any suggestions though would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile Try Swansboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Hi!
It looks like my brother is transferring from Quantico to Lejeune. Can anyone tell me what nicer towns are in the area with a commute under 30 minutes that also has a hospital his girlfriend who is a nurse can work at? They are in their mid/late 20’s and he has a two year old boy. Somewhere nice that a young couple could still enjoy. They both love going out on occasion. I was thinking maybe somewhere between there and Wilmington? Any suggestions though would be great. Thanks!
Lots of Marines live in the Swansboro or Cape Carteret area. It is easily under thirty minutes of commuting time since he can go in the back gate at highway 172.

There are nice restaurants in the area, and you have the added benefit of being ten minutes from the beach. If you zoom in on this map, you can see some of the services in the Swansboro area.

Hospitals can be found in Jacksonville, New Bern, and Morehead City.

The Swansboro-Cape Carteret area is a great family area with lots of churches and events for families. It is also very safe, and there is plenty of rental housing. Their two year-old would have enjoyed the Emerald Isle Christmas Parade.

We have some Marine friends who live on in Richlands which is more inland and probably has fewer restaurants and things to do. It is still a nice place.

Someone else will have to give you advice on the Wilmington side. I rarely go down that direction.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-07-2009 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Left out word

Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,354 times
Thanks dsobotta!

I was reading about Swansboro on here and it sounds nice. Thanks for all the info!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 19,966 times
Default Swansboro

I will be working in Emerald Isle and I am looking yearly house rental in the Swansboro, Stella or nearby area.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile There are plenty of rentals around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc View Post
I will be working in Emerald Isle and I am looking yearly house rental in the Swansboro, Stella or nearby area.
Any help would be appreciated.
Try looking in the Carteret News Times (http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news-times_classifieds/for_rent/ - broken link).

The companies that do vacation rentals on the beach also do annual house rentals.

If you need some company names send me a private message.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM

79 posts, read 277,560 times
There are several for rent in the Deer Run neighborhood right now... convenient to all the "amenities" of Swansboro I think several are listed with either Century 21 or Realty World.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:14 AM

11 posts, read 63,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Hi!
It looks like my brother is transferring from Quantico to Lejeune. Can anyone tell me what nicer towns are in the area with a commute under 30 minutes that also has a hospital his girlfriend who is a nurse can work at? They are in their mid/late 20ís and he has a two year old boy. Somewhere nice that a young couple could still enjoy. They both love going out on occasion. I was thinking maybe somewhere between there and Wilmington? Any suggestions though would be great. Thanks!
There's are a lot of nice neighborhoods right in Jacksonville. The beach area...Sneads Ferry and Topsail are quaint. Don't discount Hubert either. For a rural feel, Richlands is nice too. I wouldn't venture much further than that if you want to keep the commute within 30 minutes.
Coming from Quantico is gonna be a bit of a culture shock. There's not much "going out" night life around these parts.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 19,802 times
We are in Pollocksville, which is located between Jacksonville and New Bern. It is a small rural town, but quant. Our house is for sale on the Trent river. Outdoor activities are plentiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina