U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:32 PM

24 posts, read 112,067 times

Advertisements

Leland is much closer to " REAL " NC than Wilmington.
The locals either realize an opportunity or resent the intrusion.
A lot of family land went from being worth 100k as farmland to 1 million as development land. The property tax became a huge issue.
As an area becomes populated, you will lose local flavor and customs. The less edumacated folks get upset other people are seizing chances they overlooked.

Last edited by rhel63; 01-17-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 17,058 times
Just reading all this makes me wonder....have I done the wrong thing buying in Brunswick Forest??? I WILL comtact my builder and question the "swamp" issue and where my lot is. Seemed pretty firm when I was there last! Leaving NJ soon....

Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

57 posts, read 246,053 times
We took a tour at Brunswick Forest.
Homes seem to be built better than most around here.
Have to wait and see if anyone posts updates from their own experience.
They do background checks on all their builders.
I don't want to pay that much for homeowners association fees!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Last time I drove by Brunswick forest (months ago) it was during a heavy rain, and everything I could see from the highway looked to be underwater. If I were buying there, I would be asking them difficult questions about stormwater drainage, and be expecting drainage solutions above and beyond what the local government requires.

I think you would be sorely mistaken to assume that it was "taken care of" by government officials, or developers. I'm not singling out any one area, or any one group, but important people who own swampland in prime locations have lobbied against stormwater regulations in this area, citing "increased costs", ultimately making it a "buyer beware" situation for the consumer.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Last time I drove by Brunswick forest (months ago) it was during a heavy rain, and everything I could see from the highway looked to be underwater. If I were buying there, I would be asking them difficult questions about stormwater drainage, and be expecting drainage solutions above and beyond what the local government requires.

I think you would be sorely mistaken to assume that it was "taken care of" by government officials, or developers. I'm not singling out any one area, or any one group, but important people who own swampland in prime locations have lobbied against stormwater regulations in this area, citing "increased costs", ultimately making it a "buyer beware" situation for the consumer.
Don't expect the same level of government that you had in NY or NJ that protected the consumer.
The building codes are not the same either-
Keep this in mind and ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU SIGN.
Get your OWN Lawyer.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 AM

107 posts, read 253,718 times
Quote:

What you see from the road reflects nothing of whats inside BF, take a ride inside before you make such a statement.

Last edited by MJinNC; 02-24-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 AM

214 posts, read 736,516 times
Quote:

This community is one of the best well-funded in the country. To my knowledge it was not built on "swamp land", I believe that is an urban myth.
May we ask why you have such a negative reaction to a wonderful community? It is not only attracting homebuyers, but commercial companies as well, BB&T, New Hanover Med. Center, and many others, who I doubt would invest if it is, as you have stated.
What facts do you have that support your statements? If BF has disenchanted you personally, you have the option of directing your complaints to them.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
What you see from the road reflects nothing of whats inside BF, take a ride inside before you make such a statement.
Is what I saw from the road not a part of Brunswick Forest?

And please clarify, what statement did I make that y'all are so worked up about? I said that stormwater regulations in this area are weak and politically influenced. I said that the visible portions of Brunswick Forest appeared to be full of water when I saw it. I said that as a buyer I'd be concerned about that. Nowhere did I say it was swampland, nowhere did I say I wouldn't live there, or that I had a negative opinion of the place.

What part of that do either of y'all dispute? What part needs to be better supported with facts?

Last edited by le roi; 02-24-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Drive around down here and you can see how they clear land down here for development.
They cut down all the pine trees, bulldoze the stumps and underbrush and mash that in with the topsoil, then they dig ditches to "drain the water off" if needed.
What is left is what your house will be built on.
Inquire to any structural engineer in the area and they can tell you more about specific areas.
Brunswick Forest has there own mulching/grinding facility that they use to build up the lots with.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 PM

214 posts, read 736,516 times
Who started this thread anyway? Maybe the person who got us all riled up, would like to step in.
My only recommendation to anyone, including myself, is do your research and support your statements with facts, not gossip, not urban myths, in this case rural myths, and be cognizant of the fact that there will always be people who have more time on their hands than those of us who are out working and contributing to the area and hopefully making it a better place to live.
IF BF didn't have a grinder, and is not selling the lumber, where would you recommend they put the trees, that were cut down, in a landfill? I can assure you the homes are not built on wood grindings (mulch)? Give me a break the mulch is used for landscaping. These were not majestic pine, not even sell able, at least they are recycling, and they have left plenty of wooded areas in and around the community.
My horse is out of this race, nuff said. I have no monetary connection to BF, just dislike hearing distorted facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina