U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM

149 posts, read 516,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Who started this thread anyway? Maybe the person who got us all riled up, would like to step in.
My only recommendation to anyone, including myself, is do your research and support your statements with facts, not gossip, not urban myths, in this case rural myths, and be cognizant of the fact that there will always be people who have more time on their hands than those of us who are out working and contributing to the area and hopefully making it a better place to live.
IF BF didn't have a grinder, and is not selling the lumber, where would you recommend they put the trees, that were cut down, in a landfill? I can assure you the homes are not built on wood grindings (mulch)? Give me a break the mulch is used for landscaping. These were not majestic pine, not even sell able, at least they are recycling, and they have left plenty of wooded areas in and around the community.
My horse is out of this race, nuff said. I have no monetary connection to BF, just dislike hearing distorted facts.
Well, I'm guilty of starting this thread, but it sure has taken a number of twists and turns from where it started. After reading a number of posts that took pot shots at Leland, for no apparent reason, I was curious to see what was behind it. I plan to relocate to Leland in a few years and I am trying to get some insight into the area from those who live in and around it. One thing that I have learned from reading the replies, to not only this but many other threads, is that there are some posters with an ax to grind, some that see everything through rose-colored glasses, and others that fall somewhere in between. The trick is in sorting the wheat from the chaff. Sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest, but the responses have been interesting and I have picked up some useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM

57 posts, read 246,041 times
Quote:
Who started this thread anyway? Maybe the person who got us all riled up, would like to step in.
My only recommendation to anyone, including myself, is do your research and support your statements with facts, not gossip, not urban myths, in this case rural myths, and be cognizant of the fact that there will always be people who have more time on their hands than those of us who are out working and contributing to the area and hopefully making it a better place to live.
IF BF didn't have a grinder, and is not selling the lumber, where would you recommend they put the trees, that were cut down, in a landfill? I can assure you the homes are not built on wood grindings (mulch)? Give me a break the mulch is used for landscaping. These were not majestic pine, not even sell able, at least they are recycling, and they have left plenty of wooded areas in and around the community.
My horse is out of this race, nuff said. I have no monetary connection to BF, just dislike hearing distorted facts.
And what do you think happens to your homes foundation when all that wood that is blended in with soil decays?
It breaks down leaving a void below your homes foundation which can lead to water intrusion or uneven settling of your homes foundation.
That is why homes are SUPPOSED TO BE BUILT ON CLEAN COMPACTED SOIL.This is not always the case.
If they were we would not have problems.
Are you aware that the NC Contractors Licensing Board Has had a large increase in builder complaints resulting from the recent building boom that quickly fizzled out.
I would suggest being present while your home is being built or hire a home inspector to be present so you know what you are getting.
If they pour your concrete when it's raining it's not the same as pouring it when it's 85 and sunny!
BUYER BEWARE.......

Old 02-28-2009, 05:02 AM

12 posts, read 30,117 times
I will jump right in and say that any place can and will be as bad or as good as you want it to be. I have some really great friendships in Leland and they are happy being there too. Some people just want to complain and are NOT happy unless they are spreading negative thoughts, but if we all start spreading Positive thoughts and thinking about all the things we do have instead of all the things we wished we had, then life would be a whole lot more mellow. Leland is a good town, the people are nice and warm and friendly. We are all not going to agree on everything that is said or done, but that is true no matter where you are in the entire universe. If it was so bad, then it would be a ghost town. Think about that one.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,736 times
Quote:
This community is one of the best well-funded in the country. To my knowledge it was not built on "swamp land", I believe that is an urban myth.
May we ask why you have such a negative reaction to a wonderful community? It is not only attracting homebuyers, but commercial companies as well, BB&T, New Hanover Med. Center, and many others, who I doubt would invest if it is, as you have stated.
What facts do you have that support your statements? If BF has disenchanted you personally, you have the option of directing your complaints to them.
Well, I lived in Leland for three years and HATED IT. I lived in Leland and worked/went to school in Wilmington. Traffic was HORRIBLE trying to get over the bridge in the morning. I kid you not, I left my house (which was behind the WalMart) at 7:20 AM and traffic would be backed up almost to Waterford! In one day there was a broken down car, accident and the bridge had a malfuntion. I ended up missing two morning classes for I did nto make it over the bridge until 8:30! The land does flood. I have have been in this area all my life and I am aware of the poor drainage. Shoot, even Wilmington has flooding issues and those ARE in areas planned and built for residential and commercial use. The area I speak has daycares, homes, townhouses, and stores. This location is NORTHCHASE! They are well known to have flooding issues. Yes it is cool to have all the shops, resturants, banks and what not for those who are not going to Wilmington daily however, if you are working in Wilmington think otherwise. I will not live in Leland again as long as I am working in Wilmington.

BTW all the posts I read about the schools in Brunswick does not surprise me. I went to the UNCW job fair for educators and it ended at 12. Brunswick was the first ones to pack up and leave. Other school systems were tyring to sell themselves on getting great qualified teachers, Brunswick was very apathetic toward the prospects. The vibe I recieved has made caused me to not find a job there, therefore, I will not live there either.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 17,057 times
I'll be in BF in August. I was just down to pick out my "stuff" for the house, meet some really nice people already living there and very happy too!
I stomped on the ground around my house and it's really firm!!!LOL
I would think the entrance area, where they will be building the stores,etc. would be flooded during a heavy rain. That would happen anywhere!! I think BF has been a well thought out community and I am looking forward to get there.
BTW, coming from NJ the maintenance fee and taxes are more than reasonable!! (Let's keep that a secret)
Beau from NJ

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
I left Leland in 2002, I am now in Utah. I loved Leland when I lived there. None of the ratrace of Wilmington. I don't think anyone hates Leland.. It has just had a bad reputation from a long time ago, and it just stuck.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 PM

610 posts, read 2,755,188 times
Why does everyone hate Leland?

Everyone hates Leland because it's not a desirable place to live and work.

What kind of high-paying job are you going to find in Leland? $7.80 an hour at Piggly Wiggly isn't going to cut it.

The town itself is not visually appealing at all. The whole town is comprised of a few strip malls and a bunch of fast food joints.

Supposedly, Brunswick County and Leland are considered to be one of the fastest growing areas in the US. But guess what? All of that growth is geared at building gated communities and million dollar homes for all of the rich Northerners who move to the South.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times

He cheats at cards.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 22,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post

Everyone hates Leland because it's not a desirable place to live and work.

What kind of high-paying job are you going to find in Leland? $7.80 an hour at Piggly Wiggly isn't going to cut it.

The town itself is not visually appealing at all. The whole town is comprised of a few strip malls and a bunch of fast food joints.

Supposedly, Brunswick County and Leland are considered to be one of the fastest growing areas in the US. But guess what? All of that growth is geared at building gated communities and million dollar homes for all of the rich Northerners who move to the South.

Yeah, so why not live in a "gated community and million dollar home" and then go to Wilmington to work and pay for it?

I live in Brunswick Co. and work in Wilmington and let me tell you, when I cross the Cape Fear bridge on my way home, I sign relief that I am OUT of Wilmington and "home". I have lived in Wilmington in the past and couldn't stand the congestion and overcrowdedness. I can barely stand it when I go to work, but I deal with it.

Leland used to be nicknamed "little l.a" for the surplus of Mexican people who lived there. There isn't a whole lot to come to Leland for, but that is what I like about it.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceland4 View Post
Yeah, so why not live in a "gated community and million dollar home" and then go to Wilmington to work and pay for it?

because then you have to live in Brunswick County

which would be cool, if you were in a truly rural, secluded, unique location like a farm. or if you had waterfront access to the ICWW or the ocean, or a handful of other cool and unique locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina