U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,845,298 times

Advertisements

Yeah, after looking at a map, I see that I overlooked that Southport does indeed have its own hospital. (The other Brunswick County hospital is in Supply.) However, if you needed a trauma center, you'd need to go to Wilmington.

I agree that ferry doesn't make much sense unless you're going to Fort Fisher, Kure Beach, or Carolina Beach. If I was to go to Wilmington from Southport, I'd just take NC 133 up to Belville, then take US 17 bridge across the Cape Fear River to Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 PM

22 posts, read 74,114 times
Thank you. It's warming to hear about your affection for that area. Don't tell anyone, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
Yeah, after looking at a map, I see that I overlooked that Southport does indeed have its own hospital. (The other Brunswick County hospital is in Supply.) However, if you needed a trauma center, you'd need to go to Wilmington.

I agree that ferry doesn't make much sense unless you're going to Fort Fisher, Kure Beach, or Carolina Beach. If I was to go to Wilmington from Southport, I'd just take NC 133 up to Belville, then take US 17 bridge across the Cape Fear River to Wilmington.
Thanks Raleigh, I was beating up on myself for not experimenting with the ferry ride last summer. But now I see that I don't even need to use it to go to wilmington. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
Yeah, probably about an hour or more. How long it takes you once getting off the ferry would depend on traffic, of course.
That thank you was for you. Next week I'll be there, looking for a home. Thanks again.

Last edited by Yac; 06-20-2006 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 AM

56 posts, read 306,050 times
What everybody said, about the Southport-Ft. Fisher ferry is true. If you have an appointment in Wilmington, do not take the ferry. Don't get me wrong. The NC Ports Authority does a wonderfull, professional job but, if you don't have somewhere to be at a certain time then, by all means take the ferry. It is a lovely trip. Traveling across the Capr Fear River you land at Ft. Fisher which is a national historic site. It was one of the last defenses for the south in the Civil War. Also, the NC Aquarium is there and it is a must see. These two attractions are very close to the ferry landing.
Just check the ferry schedule before you leave. It is worth the experience

Old 06-20-2006, 01:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,897,080 times
I agree, US Citizen. My family and I were in Topsail Beach last week for vacation (our first time there) and had to go to the aquarium as we do every beach trip. We love the aquarium.

We've been to the Ft. Fisher museum, also. Interesting history.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 74,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.Citizen
What everybody said, about the Southport-Ft. Fisher ferry is true. If you have an appointment in Wilmington, do not take the ferry. Don't get me wrong. The NC Ports Authority does a wonderfull, professional job but, if you don't have somewhere to be at a certain time then, by all means take the ferry. It is a lovely trip. Traveling across the Capr Fear River you land at Ft. Fisher which is a national historic site. It was one of the last defenses for the south in the Civil War. Also, the NC Aquarium is there and it is a must see. These two attractions are very close to the ferry landing.
Just check the ferry schedule before you leave. It is worth the experience
Thank you, U.S.
We'll definitely enjoy that experience (ferry, etc.). Thank you all who have help to make this thread grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina