U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM

12 posts, read 36,961 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

Our family is relocating to Camp Lejuene in June 2009. We have lived in Kailua Hawaii for 9 years and we are excited about the new adventure in a few short months my husband will be returning to the states and our family has been looking at the area. I'm very drawn to Sneads Ferry for some reason the 2nd choice is Swansboro. But for our family (ohana) needs it seems that Sneads would be the best all around. Hubby would work CL in french creek area and mother transfering to Costco in Willington area.

I've been looking at a home on Grant Circle (Grantwood Subdivison) can anyone share information about the surrounding area and future plans for the area.

Also looking for performing arts programs for my child dance, drama etc...
Inaddition to highlights of the surrounding neighborhood stores, resturants,what to do where to go....

I have heard many pros & cons...Living in Hawaii has also been a challenge yes it's paradise but, it's not the mainland and at times life can test your ability to be flexiable. "Gumby" I found that as the years went by life caught up with the small areas so if your an pacient person you will enjoy the changes in due time.

With all that said I look forward to any great tips, info and postive points of view...

Mahalo,
Darcy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM

525 posts, read 1,154,680 times
Why Sneads Ferry? I don't live there, but my mother does, and it's a VERY small town with almost nothing to do (except go to the beach) unless you drive 45 minutes to Wilmington or 30 minutes the other way into Jacksonville.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,578,933 times
I agree, Snead's Ferry is pretty lame.........they just got their first mcdonalds a couple of years ago.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 AM

It looked like a nice quite sleepy town and there aren't many of those anymore.
what exactly is it you don't like? I was looking at a new home built on grant circle and want to know more about the area and it's future planning???

Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 AM

291 posts, read 767,173 times
It's a nice little town - it is very sleepy....I go to church up there and see lots of families living good lives... There is a very active community theatre which does some good productions (none with children to my knowledge), the high school seems to have a lot of spirit. The kids in the community are active in scouting and sports. There is a nice little library and the librarians know all the people who go there. I don't know much about the future planning...I heard they were going to build a new library and also that there is a big development that is supposed to go in behind the current Mill Creek development. I think there would be more kids in other developments than Grantwood. Maybe Chadwick Shores, Escoba Bay.... Sneads Ferry has a Shrimp Festival every year and a hoop-de-doo for 4th of July with a down home kind of parade. There isn't a lot of shopping in Sneads Ferry, but you can meet your day to day needs there with the CVS, Food Lion, Dollar Store. "Big shopping" would have to occur in Jacksonville or Wilmington. I hope you can come and take a look at the area before you make up your mind! Swansboro and Cape Carteret are also very nice (more action) but it certainly is a long way to Wilmington if that is a consideration.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM

MTNesters Mahalo for your positive comments it seems few and far in between trying to dig up information on the net about this little township. I do believe we have came to the conclusion to wait till we arrive and look around at the areas of interest...Grantwood, North Shore, and Swansboro...
Ive also searched on google earth and maps and it's view are also limited I cant walk the little yellow person marker as far as to Dixion School not sure if its the elementary or middle school on Betty.

I see the weather is very cold there compared to our hawaiian winters...that will be a definate change! Burrr...lol

But I'm still very excited about the reloation and no matter what people say I'm staying positive!
I have to I'm the wife of a Marine! lol

I'm glad to hear about scouts because we are very involved with that currently I'm the Pack Chariman for Pack 225 Cub Scouts on MCBH. So it will be a good way to stay involved with the community and my son also loves golf and soccer. SInce he's an only child he's used to being around adults mostly and not too worried about other children his age.
Most of the time I've had the 9 yr old so busy he's just glad to stay home and relax on his free days.

Does anyone have links for the new developments in the are or additional infomation.
I understand that the market just remodeled and there's a good coffee shop down the street....

In Kailua where we live now the nearest Costco (26.2 mi) away and the walmart (22.2 mi) Major shoppiing ctr (22.2mi) or (16.7) ala moana ctr where the high end stores are Tiffany's...lol
4.9 miles to the nearest beach off base...

So I don't think the are would bother me too much since I'm used to miles here...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 AM

291 posts, read 767,173 times
Good morning segobiaohana!
I have sent you a pm about SF...check your inbox for it!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Talking Mahalo!

Mahalo -

Can't wait to see what you have researched....

Mahalo Nui Loa ( Thank you very much)

Aloha,
Darcy

Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM

24 posts, read 112,207 times
You may want to check out Hampstead. A few miles more for your husband but closer for the family to Wilmington's
culture.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhel63 View Post
You may want to check out Hampstead. A few miles more for your husband but closer for the family to Wilmington's
culture.
Mahalo ~ Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina