U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 11,049 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are a family with two young children thinking of moving to Wilmington.
Here are all my questions...

1. Which is the most technologically advanced hospital in the area? I am a nurse and I want to work at what is considered the 'best' in the area..so what hospital would you take your family to?

2. Hurricanes...not worried about the actual hurricane but what about flooding?? I found a few houses i loved close but they are close to what appears to be rivers or creeks. What towns flood the most? Is their a certain river that always floods? Is home owners insurance really high?

3. Are the schools really that bad?? My two children arent school age yet but we can't afford private school either..where are the highest rated school systems in the area?

4. Do the beaches get packed all summer long? Is it a huge tourist town like Myrtle Beach??

5. Are there jobs for people who don't have college degrees? My husband has been in the labor field and sales his whole life..just wondering if there are jobs out there for him.

6. Are there men's softball leagues around?? My husband plays on one in NY in the summer and would love to keep it up after we move..

I think thats all for now...If i think of more I will ask later!
Thanks!
Corey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 14,447 times
Default Some info

1. Which is the most technologically advanced hospital in the area? I am a nurse and I want to work at what is considered the 'best' in the area..so what hospital would you take your family to?

The main hospital in the area is New Hanover Medical Center. They recently opened a brand new women's and children's wing. My wife is a cardiologist and her office does a lot of their work there. It seems to be pretty advanced in some areas.

2. Hurricanes...not worried about the actual hurricane but what about flooding?? I found a few houses i loved close but they are close to what appears to be rivers or creeks. What towns flood the most? Is their a certain river that always floods? Is home owners insurance really high?

The state just approved a huge increase in homeowners insurance for this region. Some of the coverage has to be done through the state because the private companies no longer provide coverage. I'm fairly new myself (just over a year from central Ohio), so I'm not too sure about the flooding thing. I do know that some streets tend to hold a lot of water during heavy rains.

3. Are the schools really that bad?? My two children arent school age yet but we can't afford private school either..where are the highest rated school systems in the area?

I don't have kids, but my coworkers say there are areas of better schools. I'm sure you could find some of this info online.

4. Do the beaches get packed all summer long? Is it a huge tourist town like Myrtle Beach??

Some of the beaches get busy, but not nearly as bad as Myrtle Beach. Most of the beach towns here charge for parking during the tourist season, but it's not a lot and it's usually only during certain hours of the day.

5. Are there jobs for people who don't have college degrees? My husband has been in the labor field and sales his whole life..just wondering if there are jobs out there for him.

This is the bad part. There don't seem to be many jobs around anywhere. The local newspaper, www.starnewsonline.com , has almost nothing posted in their classifieds. There does seem to be quite a few of jobs in the medical field though.

6. Are there men's softball leagues around?? My husband plays on one in NY in the summer and would love to keep it up after we move..

I live near a park with several ball fields and there seem to be games all the time during decent weather, which is a lot of the time.

I'm not sure where you are at in NY, but I'd bet you are sick of the winters. The winters here are nothing like those. During the current arctic chill that the east coast is experiencing, the lowest temp they are predicting here is 15. In central Ohio that would have been a welcome high temp during a cold snap like this.

OK, that's all I can offer. I'm sorry I could not help with the schools. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey805 View Post
Yes, insurance is high, and rising. We evidently like to build houses in risky places, and spread that risk over everybody.

As far as flooding, I would stay out of drainageways, or areas that are less than about 15 feet above sea level. Downtown is built on bluffs, but for most of the area, buying near water entails some risk, and the high ground is likely to have older development and be more expensive. Obviously flood zones are bad.

Quote:
I hear that the New Hanover suburban schools are pretty good.

Quote:
I think New Hanover County beaches are very crowded, much more than Horry County (SC) beaches. Myrtle Beach has a higher volume of tourists, though.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM

424 posts, read 1,112,157 times
The beaches are only crowded on the big holidays really. I am also from Central Ohio (Columbus, Ohio) and have been down here for three years this may. I still love Carolina Beach because it is safe and it is a great place to enjoy the beach without a huge crowd all around you.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach are a zoo on Fri-Sat-Sun from May to August, which are the times most regular 8-to-5 working people are able to visit the beach. I don't even attempt to fight for a parking spot on Wrightsville Beach during the summer, I just head straight to Kure Beach instead.

I will agree that if you go down when the water is cold, or on a weekday during the summer, that it isn't crowded.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

424 posts, read 1,112,157 times
Carolina Beach is only really a zoo during weekends after Memorial day through Labor Day. Been there for almost three years, seen MUCH busier beaches in Wrightsville. And Yes, Kure beach is very much slow most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina