U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,211 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from new jersey to nc with children ages 6 and 9. We were looking at Wake County but are discouraged by the schools busting at the seems. We'd eventually like to retire by the ocean (I grew up by the beach in CA) so now I'm thinking maybe we should just relocate there. Any recommendations? Good schools and small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,736,166 times
I can only assume that with such young kids your not retired. So then jobs would be required, correct. Eastern NC has some towns with double digit unemployeement and the state overall is ranked 8th worse in the nation. I recommend if you have a job in NJ to hang on to it. But if your self employeed and the job is not impacted by location, here are some coastal towns to check out. Morehead city, Wilmington, Newbern, Havelock, Supply,Newport, swansboro. Some coastal towns are smaller then I think your looking for.(very rural and not allot of out siders). Even Raleigh which you referenced in your post has became hard in respect to finding a job. Now if you do need I job I would think real hard about staying put, at least for a couple of years. Good Luck

Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 PM

24 posts, read 112,083 times
I have my kids at a school in Wilmington, NC. Wilmington Christian Academy -Home
My 6 and 8 year old girls get dropped early and attend after school until 6 pm. $1180 a month.
The job market here makes it possible. The public schools are horrible due to the busing, immigration and the no dumby left behind.
We live a few miles from Wilmington and have neighbors who look out for us and we return the favor.
DO NOT live downtown or in the cookie cutter subdivisions .
If you are unskilled ( no insult meant ) or not a college grad . you will have a difficult time here. I do very well and really like the mix of hometown and enough big city ( museums, shows, nightlife ) to make it worthwhile .

Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 AM

713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Smile Carteret County Schools win some praise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulah1 View Post
We are looking to relocate from new jersey to nc with children ages 6 and 9. We were looking at Wake County but are discouraged by the schools busting at the seems. We'd eventually like to retire by the ocean (I grew up by the beach in CA) so now I'm thinking maybe we should just relocate there. Any recommendations? Good schools and small town feel.
Among North Carolina and especially coastal schools, Carteret County schools do well. Our local high school, Croatan, just won an award as one of the top 600 high schools in the country.

I would recommend the Cape Carteret-Cedar Point area.

You can search for posts by me here on City to learn more about the area or read my area blog or my new area info site.

One particular post that lots of people read is Ten Ways Carteret County Met Our Needs.

Here's a map of the area.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-18-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Left out word

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 AM

136 posts, read 467,169 times
Default Wake County Schools

This is way past your post date, but if anyone else is looking here is some info.

Wake County, depending on where you live, is a great family-friendly place to live. Wake Schools are okay, but I wouldn't say it is a terrific education by any means. It depends on what you are comparing it to. Wake County has some of the best private schools around, and if you prefer to homeschool, NC is a homeschool friendly state. Also, most towns have nice sports leagues for low cost, and some towns like Holly Springs have a Cultural Center with kids classes (ex: cooking, art, drama, etc).

There are a lot of state parks nearby, lakes and outdoor activites. Some of the best areas are North Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs & parts of Fuquay Varina (small town-but growing).

The downside is it is a long drive to the beach, so for the lady posting who grew up near the beach, well Raleigh is not close to the beach. It is a couple hour drive each way. Plus side, is most Raleigh Natives are super nice.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,447 times
don't move to carteret county please'we have enough dingbatters here already.PLEASE!!!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM

269 posts, read 348,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineypointer View Post
don't move to carteret county please'we have enough dingbatters here already.PLEASE!!!
Like you for reviving a 4 old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina