Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 01:21 AM
boz boz started this thread

1 posts, read 11,789 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Anyone here ever lived in or near Merritt, NC? It's in Pamlico County, but city-data doesn't have any info on it.
Any information you could give me will be greatly appreciated; I can sort of figure out that it's rural/farm-ish from Google Satellite pics, but I can't tell what kind of crops are growing, or if those oblong rooftops are poultry processing plants, or if there's a lot of crime, etc.
(I'm a fixed-income retired California native looking to get the heck outta here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 16,622 times
Default Merritt, NC

I lived in Pamlico County from 1980 thru 2000. Over the years growth has progressed slowly, even in Oriental where the real estate prices have boomed. Merritt NC is just down the road from Oriental and is currently under development with planned residential communities, a large campground area for RV's and a marina. If you are not an avid boater, there's no need to come here since there are no "beaches." Mosquitoes are sometimes unbearable and various drugs are prevalent. Local markets include; Foodlion, Piggly Wiggly, Hardees, 4 Dollar stores, Subway, one chinese retaurant, one pizza delivery (not to Merritt). Closest mall area, Walmart, Lowes, etc. is in on the west side of New Bern (approximately 20-25 minutes). The County has one stop light (in Grantsboro), and the widening of hwy 55 to Bayboro is expected finished in 08 or 09. The crime is low, with little or no violence. DUI's and petty theft are probably your biggest threats. The Oriental waterfront/community boom convinced the entire (rural) county to inflate there prices too. Crops mainly include corn, soybeans, tobacco. The oblong roofs are probably the newly built strip mall. Not aware of any poultry processing plants in the county.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 29,040 times
Default Merritt The End of The World

If you like the Quiet country life here is the place you need to be. Be prepared though, you will need plenty of bug spray a house on high ground,the ability to take care of your self in a emergency. The locals are frendly but do not like outsiders, There is no shopping here unless you like to drive sometimes very far.
This may be one of the only places in the US that you are truly on your own.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 10,174 times
Default Update on Merritt

Howdy there! Just curious, the last post on what Merritt's about is from 2007. can anyone get back to me and tell me how it is now since they widened 55 and the economy is the way it is? Looking to buy out there and want to know more. Dirt is always welcome! Thanks.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM

238 posts, read 1,504,981 times
From what I am hearing from folks in the area Hurricane Irene will set the area back 10-20 years. The 55 widening did make it much easier to commute to New Bern for supplies. Spot on with the bug spray recommendation. People actually buy it by the case there. If you love snakes it is the place to be.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:27 AM

3 posts, read 10,815 times
Default Merritt NC

How far close is Pamlico Co to Duplin or Sampson Counties?
This is where my earliest Ancesters lived who came here from England.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycuz View Post
About 100 miles overland from Oriental to Wallace in the center of Duplin County, or 120 miles to Sampson County. Your ancestors were probably in search of better farmland, as the soil in Pamlico is either sandy or swampy. Duplin and Sampson are still primarily agricultural.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycuz View Post
I wonder if my ancestors came from here. I know many came from NC. My last name is Merritt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina