Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 34,085 times

Advertisements

hey all -

about 10 of us or so (m20's) are looking to rent an oceanfront home in september in either nc or sc. i was wondering if anyone would recommend a particular area or areas that might be best. i live in charlotte, but everyone else would be flying in. i'm pretty familiar with everything north of manteo, which happens to be the spots that are farthest from me.

don't want anything too commercialized or too packed and would like to just hang out, maybe try and surf/kayak/parasail/whatever. any spots better than others?

also, i'm pretty sure you can only rent on a weekly basis...anyone know of ways to just rent for 3-5 days?

thank ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,402 times
Most everything is weekly. Having grow up at the coast on the NC SC border every few years I get together with friends and rent a house in Avon which is in the outer banks. Without looking I am pretty sure you will be out of peak rates. Not crowded at all but keep in mind there is no nightlife out there. I always get a place from surf or sound realty. That area is probably the cheapest and most beautiful place to go. It is still a really well kept secret.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 34,085 times
sweet thanks a lot. i've definitely heard of avon and they were good things. i'll check it out for sure. if places like duck and corolla were closer i'd probably opt for something like that (been going up there since i was born and love it so much it feels like home). it's a bit of a drive for me although i guess people could fly into norfolk and be there in 2hrs.

do you know much about topsail further south?

thanks again

Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Good thing about Avon is it centrally located on Cape Hatteras Island you are within minutes of "Canadian Hole" (a good place to surf or kayak and probably 10 minutes from Pea Island another great kayak spot within the wildlife refugee . It not develop like Duck at all it has this small southern fishing village type feel and most of avon if you choose not to be oceanfront you are in walking distance to the sound and the ocean. There also these cool canals that have fish to look at and turtles.

dm me if you need recommindations for place to stay I know this one rental company that has weekly and daily rates

Old 01-25-2009, 07:03 AM

11 posts, read 67,377 times
Since you're in Charlotte, I would recommend Ocean Isle Beach, NC....just a few hours away. It's quaint, right on the boarder of SC and close to Myrtle Beach. For the past 3 years friends have gone in on a beach house at OIB for the Memorial Day weekend. During off season, you can rent at a daily rate.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,863 times
Been there 5 times. Great beaches warm water. Went to ducu and corolla light and the water in july was too cold in the ocean. Topsail is what I would recommend. Surf is kind of strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina