U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 58,042 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about looking into going for spring Break, which for us is the middle of April. Can anyone give me advice on where to stay and what the weather is like that time of year. I looked at averages but hard to tell if that is swimming weather or not. We have 2 little ones 5 & 1 if that makes any difference where we stay.
Thanks in advance,
Missy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrip22 View Post
We are thinking about looking into going for spring Break, which for us is the middle of April. Can anyone give me advice on where to stay and what the weather is like that time of year. I looked at averages but hard to tell if that is swimming weather or not. We have 2 little ones 5 & 1 if that makes any difference where we stay.
Thanks in advance,
Missy
Missy, the water will still be very cold in April, this is the Atlantic remember However, many condo's come with their own pools, which might be warm enough to get into, depending on the weather at that time. Some April we warm right up, some we are still a bit chilly. Have you considered going a bit further south, say Charleston? The Outer Banks sits out off of deep waters - the waters near Charleston are warmer.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM

24 posts, read 58,042 times
thanks for the reply lovesmountains, I think we will look at other options since pools don't open until the week we would be leaving.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
thanks for the reply lovesmountains, I think we will look at other options since pools don't open until the week we would be leaving.
Missy, I can tell you my sister and her hubby once stayed at a nice place in Mrytle Beach (whose name escapes me at the moment) in March BECAUSE they had a young son to entertain and this place had a lazy river inside! You might want to try looking for places like that

Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
Missy

I know I stayed in a rental in Avon that had a heated pool and many others do provide this option. Yes you will pay a little more to have this option turn on and make sure they turn it on least week before your rental so the water will be heated up. But IMO the area all up the seaboard from Charleston up north will receive Northern Atlantic currents and winds so pack accordingly.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM

264 posts, read 777,239 times
I would never take Myrtle Beach over the Outer Banks, just stay south on Hatteras Island and stay at a place with a pool. The Outer Banks in the spring is wonderful. Keep in mind I live on the Outer Banks and am prejudiced.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
I would never take Myrtle Beach over the Outer Banks, just stay south on Hatteras Island and stay at a place with a pool. The Outer Banks in the spring is wonderful. Keep in mind I live on the Outer Banks and am prejudiced.
Hey, I hear ya, and I don't disagree. But they've got two young kids to entertain so Myrtle Beach might be a better fit.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,356,742 times
You may want to consider getting past the Hatteras Bight for warm waters.OBX is still feeling the affects of the cooler Labrador Current.
A couple of years ago I posted here at CD about April water temperatures. There is always one week during that month that temps. jump dramtaically. Below is the sea surface map I posted back then to highlight this.
But again-For warmer waters in April-Go south of Hatteras.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,304,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
With 2 kids and water too cold to go into? There is basically nothing in/around the Hatteras area - sorry I like the outer banks but IMO this is bad advice. Myrtle Beach has TONS more to do..

Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 AM

147 posts, read 385,778 times
Myrtle Beach in April is not a great idea with young kids. This is spring break as you said and every high school youth and many college students will be there to party. I love Mrytle Beach but there are a few times to avoid the area, Bike Week, High School Spring Break and College Spring Break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina