U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 AM

16 posts, read 25,371 times

Advertisements

Right now, my boyfriend and I live in KY. I'm originally from FL, and I still miss the warm weather and the beach, but the crime in FL is just too much, plus its really far away from our families in KY, and I don't think I want to go back. NC seems like a good comprimise

We are both college educated (he's in law school and I'm working on my Master's in elementary ed), and are getting engaged this fall. After we graduate, we want to find a nice town to live and start a family. We need decent paying jobs, so we can start living our "real lives". (Student life, after X amount of years, is getting old.)

We enjoy the arts and the beach. We aren't looking for big parties or bars, necessarily, but we don't want to live in a retirement town, either. We'd like a place where there is a symphony, a movie theatre, shopping, diversity, good schools, low crime, and of course, the beach.

I would GREATLY appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM

311 posts, read 811,960 times
I think Wilmington would suit you. I don't live there, I live in Charlotte.. but I love Wilmington because it's near the beach, it has an adorable downtown and all of those things. But, I'm sure you know the economy is terrible, and I would think it's extra bad in Wilmington because I've always heard that they never have good paying jobs anyway. I mean i'm sure there are tons of people there making good money who are high up in companies, etc etc, but I would check into the schools there if you're a teacher and ask them what the hiring status/pay is and things like that. Really do your research, and definitely visit.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Charleston, SC. I am not sure that what you say you want you will find. But good luck in your search.

LLN

Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 15,417 times
Thumbs up Give New Bern a look

New Bern is a semi-retirement area with a population a little less than 30,000. It's about 30 minutes from the ocean, but there are 2 rivers here for great boating/sailing,fishing.

Symphony is not a great draw here, but we do have sessions at the Tryon Palace during the summer months.

This link will get you started:
New Bern, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,890,079 times
Charleston SC has what you seek but it will not be cheap. Try Isle of Palms over the winter - rentals are cheaper then.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladulcemusica View Post
Right now, my boyfriend and I live in KY. I'm originally from FL, and I still miss the warm weather and the beach, but the crime in FL is just too much, plus its really far away from our families in KY, and I don't think I want to go back. NC seems like a good comprimise
We are both college educated (he's in law school and I'm working on my Master's in elementary ed), and are getting engaged this fall. After we graduate, we want to find a nice town to live and start a family. We need decent paying jobs, so we can start living our "real lives". (Student life, after X amount of years, is getting old.)
We enjoy the arts and the beach. We aren't looking for big parties or bars, necessarily, but we don't want to live in a retirement town, either. We'd like a place where there is a symphony, a movie theatre, shopping, diversity, good schools, low crime, and of course, the beach.
I have a rental in Charleston, SC! Its a 2 bedroom and its private near the beach and downtown. Let me know if your interested.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,145,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladulcemusica View Post

When you say decent paying jobs, how do you translate this? Eastern NC is a nice place to live but don't come looking for a 60k to start with. Not saying it isn't possible. You can find all that you're looking for except for maybe a symphony? A symphony in Eastern NC? Sounds a little funny actually but if there are some I have never heard of them.

A lot of towns near the coast are turning into retirement towns for the North Easterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina