U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 PM

213 posts, read 482,568 times
Let's start thinking of alternatives to the Port. I am not for or against it, and lean neither way politically, but this area needs a boost as far as jobs go. Anyone out there with better ideas? I'm thinking Wind Farms. And yes ex Gov. Easley did us no favors down this way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM

213 posts, read 482,568 times
Default Sustainable energy for Southeast NC

" A pair of leading North Carolina politicians have a featured role in a Raleigh conference on keeping the Southeast running on new energy sources.
North Carolina House Speaker Joe Hackney is speaking Tuesday about the upcoming federal stimulus spending and what it means for long-term growth. State Treasurer Janet Cowell speaks about the financial stake that states have in the new energy economy.
Energy and economic experts and hundreds of leaders from across the Southeast are attending the forum about building the region's prospects for a sustainable energy economy.
The North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association is hosting the look into how to create business opportunities and develop jobs based on environmentally friendly energy sources."

I think this would be a far wiser course than the proposed Port.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM

189 posts, read 308,429 times
I am aware of the great work "NoPortSouthport" is doing and I applaud them. (Have I revealed my bias?) Still my feeling is there is a silence from the Southport community that is quite unnerving. Is it because many feel it is so far off into the future they can afford to let it sit on the backburner before they speak out? Do they not have a sense of what may come at them? Look at any comparable operation, east coast or west. Port Newark, NJ, the areas adjacent to the Savannah port, San Pedro, CA, south of LA. These ports are surrounded by dead zones, no one wants to live near them. The pollution, noise, traffic makes these areas inhabitable for the demographic groups that now inhabit the areas of Southport and BSL. To gain what? Jobs whos numbers have already been questioned. UNCW professor questions economic impact of proposed port | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC
A previous poster used the phrase"cottage industries" that will come with the port, how quaint, a cottage, what a vision. I say to that individual go visit above listed locations and you will find nothing "cottage" about them. The NCIT needs to be stopped now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina