U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 AM

76 posts, read 337,717 times

Advertisements

In another thread I have been watching, Seashellbelle made a positive statement about the port. She mentioned the port won't be here until 2017 at the earliest.( I don't mean to pick on you) I just don't understand why people act like that will be long after we're alive or something. That is less than 10 years from now.

Every time I go to Moorhead City, I cringe. Knowing that little Southport will become strip clubs and crack whores, while Leland will be where all the middle class will flourish. I am seeing it already. Houses around me were for sale for so long, they settled for renting them out at less than their monthly mortgage payments. A beautiful house behind me, I remember the owners putting such love into designing a special picket fence and incredible garden. It sat empty for two years after they moved. Now, a group of out of work construction workers sit over there drinking at all hours of the day and night.

I just wish the american government would switch things back to where things are made here in our own country, so we could all go back to work and have pride again, instead of building this filthy port, so we can become third world scum and China can sit back and laugh at us.

That is my opinion, what is yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
I don't have any real estate that is at risk, one way or the other, but I think Brumswick County needs all the jobs it can get. While the port is reported to be highly automated, there will be a cottage industry of support around it.

lln

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

149 posts, read 517,920 times
Ports ship goods out as well as take them in. I echo your thought on this country needing to be less dependent on foreign imports and supporting its own manufacturing efforts. Perhaps the new administration will steer the country in that direction. We can only pray.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM

214 posts, read 737,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyk12 View Post
In another thread I have been watching, Seashellbelle made a positive statement about the port. She mentioned the port won't be here until 2017 at the earliest.( I don't mean to pick on you) I just don't understand why people act like that will be long after we're alive or something. That is less than 10 years from now.

Every time I go to Moorhead City, I cringe. Knowing that little Southport will become strip clubs and crack whores, while Leland will be where all the middle class will flourish. I am seeing it already. Houses around me were for sale for so long, they settled for renting them out at less than their monthly mortgage payments. A beautiful house behind me, I remember the owners putting such love into designing a special picket fence and incredible garden. It sat empty for two years after they moved. Now, a group of out of work construction workers sit over there drinking at all hours of the day and night.

I just wish the american government would switch things back to where things are made here in our own country, so we could all go back to work and have pride again, instead of building this filthy port, so we can become third world scum and China can sit back and laugh at us.

That is my opinion, what is yours?
KateyK12, so that we can keep this thread accurate and flowing I have posted my quote below that you are referring to.

"As someone who lives in the Southport area, and is also very sensitive to our fragile environment, I would like to point out to all readers, that if and when the Port does actually arrive, (anticipated 2017, or later) land has already been identified for road usage from the Port to Rt. 17, by Bonner Stiller. Rail systems will also be updated as well.
I myself have not become politically involved in the issue, as I see both sides of the argument.
We have those who have relocated here who do not need jobs, and are retired, then we have those who have children, who will need jobs and possibly pay for a higher education.
The jobs created will also produce more positive benefits, then negative, as it will attract more businesses, more homebuyers, and hopefully a better quality of life for those seeking to advance economically.
Personally I would rather see funding for Wind Farms that would generate more affordable energy, however, I have heard nothing relating to that for this area.
This is a very controversial issue for all residents of the area, and I am personally not for or against the Port coming, if infrastructure is put in place to support the traffic, and the environment is not affected more than it has been.
On the positive side it will create jobs, thereby affording people who need to work, the opportunity to do so, without having to relocate out of the area.
Those of you who are against the Port, I can understand your issues, however, do you see any positive aspects at all?"

I believe I have shown both sides of the argument. Which is a far more diplomatic approach than you have taken.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,058,473 times
I can't say much about the Port, but....some of the imported Reislings are pretty good.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,252,516 times
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I do have thoughts about the issue.

I drive by the Wilmington port every day, deal with its truck traffic, its railroad crossings, the huge potholes those trucks create, and the smell from the surrounding industries. Including the port & industry of that area of town, you're talking about a big, nasty complex that leaks all sorts of chemicals into the river - sometimes detected, sometimes not.

However, it was here before I was. It provides jobs and tax revenue, both here and across the state. And in order to live the consumer lifestyle we all live, someone must pollute somewhere.

Logistically I think it makes more sense to have the port on the Brunswick side of the Cape Fear than on the New Hanover side. I don't know how much the Wilmington port can expand still, but mainly I don't think we could handle more cargo traffic across the river without a serious infusion of state road money. (Money the state doesn't have).

Looking at the big picture, it makes little sense for the cape fear region to have built a port at all. The Wilmington port is #63 nationally in cargo because we aren't in a convenient location. It makes even less sense for us to have one up river, where we have to keep dredging the riverbed to keep it navigable. The more we dredge it, the more salt water intrudes up the river, threatening our water treatment facilities. But the people in charge worry about the small picture, not the big picture. The state of NC wants to do business through NC ports, not SC or VA ports. Because this will provide a short-term economic benefit that we can measure, therefore we will ignore all the long term problems which are difficult to measure, and it will get built. Not much different than Titan.

Last edited by le roi; 01-26-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM

196 posts, read 518,074 times
UNCW professor questions economic impact of proposed port | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

Old 01-31-2009, 06:10 PM

809 posts, read 2,602,051 times
this saddens me i remember when my family use to vacation in oak island and there was absolutely no commercialization (about 20 years ago) it was such a nice retreat from the hustle and bustle everywhere else

Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
Well, seeing as how our former Governor has a gentrified (now very expensive) home in Southport . . . no wonder things are all screwed up. Wonder what contractors he owed some favors to . . . amazing how political alliances can have huge, longterm effects that can destroy a region (or make it flourish).

Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 AM

147 posts, read 414,304 times
Anyone claiming that a port enhances the quality of life for those that live anywhere around it has never been in the vicinity of a large port. The establishments and lifestyles that spring up around any large port is the most vile that I have encountered and I have been in many cities and around many ports all over the world.

There could not be a worse development for the Southport area or anywhere around it. Traffic, pollution, horrid cheap development. The North Carolina coast that everyone loves and remembers will be gone for good if that thing gets developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina