U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,038 times

Advertisements

Well, I am sure many share in my desire to move into the Coastal North Carolina area. I am looking for some advice on any hospitality companies (hotels, restaurants, etc.) looking for experienced managers. I have worked as a manager for Marriott for quite a few years in select service hotels. I have also worked for casual to mid-scale dining establishments as a manager.

I currently live in Pittsburgh, where my friends and family think I am crazy for wanting to move since our economy is still staying afloat here.

I have always wanted to live there! All my life! I just need to make sure that I have a job. Any help would be appreciated! I just need some contacts or a little direction! I don't need relocation costs, just a job!

Thank you for any help!
Stefanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM

713 posts, read 3,474,018 times
Smile Things might be a little smaller down here, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkir652 View Post
Well, I am sure many share in my desire to move into the Coastal North Carolina area. I am looking for some advice on any hospitality companies (hotels, restaurants, etc.) looking for experienced managers. I have worked as a manager for Marriott for quite a few years in select service hotels. I have also worked for casual to mid-scale dining establishments as a manager.

I currently live in Pittsburgh, where my friends and family think I am crazy for wanting to move since our economy is still staying afloat here.

I have always wanted to live there! All my life! I just need to make sure that I have a job. Any help would be appreciated! I just need some contacts or a little direction! I don't need relocation costs, just a job!

Thank you for any help!
Stefanie

Everything except the ocean and beaches are a smaller scale along the Crystal Coast, but this might help you.

They just announced that they are building a new hotel on Emerald Isle.

You can read the article here (http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2009_Jan_05/k.JNB.1231172973.html - broken link).

There is also a Sheraton over at Atlantic Beach.

Finally there are close to finishing Grand Villas in Salter Path. My understanding is that it is something of a resort condo destination.

There are lots of restaurants, you can check my restaurant site for some names. Many are locally owned. Most stay open all year though some close for some period of time in January. There is quite a collection of upscale restaurants in Beaufort.

You can get a feel for the area from this map.

Read about living in the area on my area blog or the Crystal Coast news that I write.

Travel guides for Swansboro, Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link), and Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link).

This is a great area if you can find a job. If you have questions on the area, I would be glad to try to answer.

Good luck

Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 AM

917 posts, read 2,092,450 times
You will probably find a job but will probably not make more then $7-9 an hour.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,038 times
Default Unbelievable!

Thank you for all of that information, dsobotta! Smaller is better! Is the other post correct though? About $7-9/hr? I mean, I work 50-70hrs per week now, but something tells me that is not a work week they meant. I would not be able to move under those conditions. I can take a pay cut, but not in excess of 50+% (salary, that is)!!

Am I better off looking for work there in person? Or is the internet a comparable means to the anticipated end?

I have so many questions!!!! I just don't even know them yet!

Thanks again, dsobotta! I appreciate the time you took!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 PM

713 posts, read 3,474,018 times
Smile Wages are hard to guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkir652 View Post
Thank you for all of that information, dsobotta! Smaller is better! Is the other post correct though? About $7-9/hr? I mean, I work 50-70hrs per week now, but something tells me that is not a work week they meant. I would not be able to move under those conditions. I can take a pay cut, but not in excess of 50+% (salary, that is)!!

Am I better off looking for work there in person? Or is the internet a comparable means to the anticipated end?

I have so many questions!!!! I just don't even know them yet!

Thanks again, dsobotta! I appreciate the time you took!
To be very honest with you, I just do not know anything about hospitality wages down here. I have heard waitresses say they make $150 a night in the summer, but I have no idea on the hotels.

In general wages are less here, but I hate to make a broad generalization with little to back it up.

Given the nature of the community, I would think you are better looking in person. If you make it down in the area I would be glad to suggest some people you could talk to.

I have seen jobs for night time desk clerks at hotels at $10 or better so I would hope someone with your skills could do much better especially in one of the upscale places.

Good luck and let me know if you have additional area specific questions that I might be able to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina