Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 24,932 times

Advertisements

I posted a question earlier but didn't stress enough how important the local high school is to our decision to relocate. We're coming down to look at the new Seawatch development soon and will have 3 kids in high school when we move in 2 years. Is it good, or is Hoggard really all that much better? The greatschools website ranks Hoggard an 8 and S. Brunswick only a 5, so I'm a little worried. Any help? Thank you! Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:12 PM

15 posts, read 58,979 times
Better do your homework on education in this area and ask all the
right questions.
I have been involved with the community college and there is a
serious lack of leadership & professionalism, which in turn means
students suffer.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 AM

Thank you - I know we have a lot of research ahead. We've pretty much ruled out S. Brunswick High because they just don't rank high enough on most of the rating websites, although Hoggard does. Definitely not a decision to take lightly ...

Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 AM

107 posts, read 283,431 times
If your kids do not apply them selves and you as a parent are not involved in their education, then no matter where they go there will not be much success. Both my boys went through the south brunswick school system, my oldest graduated early from Averette University with his BA and is attending graduate school at Coastal Carolina. My other son is a Jr at UNC-Chapel Hill. We chose southport for its small size and its community involvement, if we wanted a larger school system then we would of went elsewhere. My graduating class alone in NE Ohio was over 750 and we didnt want that for our kids. If you think just putting your kid on the bus and sending them off to school is enough, think again, parents need to be involved in all aspects.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
If your kids do not apply them selves and you as a parent are not involved in their education, then no matter where they go there will not be much success. Both my boys went through the south brunswick school system, my oldest graduated early from Averette University with his BA and is attending graduate school at Coastal Carolina. My other son is a Jr at UNC-Chapel Hill. We chose southport for its small size and its community involvement, if we wanted a larger school system then we would of went elsewhere. My graduating class alone in NE Ohio was over 750 and we didnt want that for our kids. If you think just putting your kid on the bus and sending them off to school is enough, think again, parents need to be involved in all aspects.
Yes your right parent should be involved but when it comes to teaching which is very important as well. My children are not even in their teen years yet but I have heard numerous complaints. Last year I heard they changed the staff around and principle too. I don't know if this changed any of the problems. No matter what school your child goes too. You have to make sure they get the right education.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 30,015 times
Default Living in Southport

As with any school system - there are good things and bad things. I taught at the elementary school for 5yrs. There are excellent teachers in the high school & of course poor ones too. Get your kids involved with the many activities, live a in nice neighborhood where there are other kids of similiar age (can recommend as I am now an agent) and join a local church where they can make positive friends. South has some great opportunities, but as with ANY situation, if you don't stay on top of your teenager......

Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 30,015 times
I am not anyone even lives in SeaWatch yet...... which means you teenagers would be isolated right away. There are established communities in our area of similiar pricing (or less). check out Southport Real Estate

Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeale View Post
I am not anyone even lives in SeaWatch yet...... which means you teenagers would be isolated right away. There are established communities in our area of similiar pricing (or less). check out Southport Real Estate

Sea Watch not ideal for teens.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 AM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
Default Western Carteret County schools...

You really should checkout the schools here. Croatan High School was ranked 3rd in the state academically. Its a newer school with plenty of new subdivisions being built here. This is a great area...

Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM

I completely agree that you need to involve yourself - as a school board member and room mom I always have. However, moving to a new area with no knowledge of a school system means you are quite dependent on the few websites that do rate the schools. One of the reasons we are relocating in the first place is because our local high school is ranked poorly, and since I graduated from there, I agree with the ranking. There are great kids who will excell anywhere, but if I can choose between a great school and a struggling school, I might as well move to the area with the better ranked school. I didn't mean to put down anyone's school, believe me. I'm only using statistics, and trying to do my best research in this very important issue. I really do appreciate everyone's input, and hope it keeps coming. We do want to be south of the Outer Banks due to my husband's job and my obsession with palm trees ... (but that's another forum!) Thanks all! Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina