U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 160,685 times

Advertisements

Just wonderng cause there aren't any on the Beulahville website for the police or fire department which is really odd since there is supposed to be a 20% black population in Beulahville.

What kind of community is it to live there... for black people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Yes, there should be about 222 black people in Beulaville. Please don't get upset if you go count them all, and I have missed a few.

It does seem a little odd for a town that's 20% black to have not one black firefighter, EMS, or policeman.

On an unrelated note, I think it is hilarious that in the Public Works dep't (where they handle water, sewer, etc.) there is an employee named "Jason Drinkwater."

Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM

46 posts, read 160,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Yes, there should be about 222 black people in Beulaville. Please don't get upset if you go count them all, and I have missed a few.

It does seem a little odd for a town that's 20% black to have not one black firefighter, EMS, or policeman.

On an unrelated note, I think it is hilarious that in the Public Works dep't (where they handle water, sewer, etc.) there is an employee named "Jason Drinkwater."
haha... that is funny...

I just wondered really cause I saw on the Beulahville website that there should be about 20% black in that town, but you'd never know it looking at the police and fire people. NOT that those folks are great citizens doing good jobs by any means. I just found it curious.

I've always loved rural eastern NC and we're looking to buy or rent a home. Beulahville is one of the places we'd consider.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 PM

43 posts, read 129,691 times
Beulaville is a small town and like many small eastern NC towns, the black population is mostly fairly poor and live in older poorer neighborhoods. They seldom get jobs like the ones you mention. This is not to say they are not good people and lead happy lives. Many of the black people I have known that live in small towns and conditions like this I consider to be more genuine and loving people than those that are considered "prosperous."

If you do go, I would hit the local churches and find a good one you like, that way you will get to know people quickly and they will get to know and accept you.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
Actually, in the early days, Beulaville was heavily populated with the KKK. The African American people that lived in town were forced to live east of Church street. Basically, since then the majority of black people have remained in the part of town. I would say that the town is more racist than your average city in the US, but probably not alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina