U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM

20 posts, read 61,892 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a Church to attend in the Jacksonville-Richlands area. We are a VERY busy Family, would like to attend on Sunday mornings only without being Hounded by Pastor or congregation. We want a place to worship and then come home after. Past experiences were with Churches ALWAYS wanting money for something, ALL the time. We tithe Faithfully, but feel that our past experiences with churches were that they operate as "Businesses". Or is it Businesses operating as "Churches??" Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,032 times
2 Corinthians 9
7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Interesting how some only remember the last part of that passage.

dozergirl-I understand how you feel. I live in Morehead City (Carteret County) and attend church at Word fellowship in Reelsboro (Pamlico County). We don't "pass the plate". We have a basket in the back of the church where folks can give when, what and how they see fit.
You are most welcome!
Bill

Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 AM

144 posts, read 608,914 times
Hi dozergirl, I'll tell you up front--I'm a pastor of a Church up in Moyock so I don't really know of any Churches in Jacksonville but I would like to address your post. Most of the pastor's that I know would be glad to have a family that really tithes in their Church as many of the families talk a good talk but fall short in the walk department. If you want to find a Church that will not ask for money (for the most part) you need to look for one that has very little vision and lots of money. You see with vision comes growth, and with growth the need for finances. Now just because a Church asks for money once in a while doesn't mean they're money hungry. Ministry, much of the time, costs money. If you go into a Church that has all the ministries that your looking for (youth, childrens, nursery, preaching and teaching, caring ministry, women's and men's, outreach and practical ministry, then they are gonna ask for money usually. Rarely you will find one that can keep the money pleas to a minimum but even they will ask sometimes.
Church is in that unique place that many want to see it as much more than just a business (which it is), but at the end of the day Churches have to make sure that all the bills get paid and that the Pastor makes a decent enough living. If the bills don't get paid then the lights go off or worse yet the doors get locked. That is the nature of business. Now if you go to a Church and all their focus is on money then maybe that Church is focused on the wrong god. All the things that draw people to many of the Churches today also cost exorbitant amounts of money. That is because our greatest competition has a seemingly unlimited supply (Hollywood). I hope you find a Church that will fit what your looking for but beware most of the time in Churches you only get out of them what you're willing to put into them. If you're looking for one that allows you the most minimal of commitment then you will probably find that their ability to minister to you and to others is similarly minimal.

Last edited by Ebediel; 02-06-2009 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM

You said it all right there in your response, my Friend. Your greatest competition????? Sorry, but My God(or your "god") has NO competition. I had typed out a very long detailed response to your reply, but lost it as I was logging in. All God requires of us is Faith, material possessions and Belongings aren't gonna get you in the Gate. God Bless!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:28 AM

144 posts, read 608,914 times
Wow!! I guess I hit a nerve. I sincerely apologize if you are offended.

I never said God has competition--I said that the Church does. There has never been any person, thing, or god that has ever posed a serious threat (or any threat at all) to God or His Kingdom, and yet, even God had things that competed with Him for the devotion of His people. In the OT it was the gods of the people in the land and their worship practices. Israel occasionally prostituted itself to other gods rather than giving its all to the one true God. You can say that those gods posed no real threat to taking God's throne away and you would be right but that did not keep Israel from serving the false ones anyway.

Albeit, the argument that I was making was that the Church (more to the point--Sunday morning pulpits) has competition. Is that competition "real" competition? The Church is offering life and everything else in the world something other than life, so no, no real competition there, but that doesn't stop people from choosing the things of the world all the time. The Bible calls us to preach the gospel and yet the Churches that only have someone stand in the pulpit once a week and preach a sermon would cease to exist as people would quickly throw them off for something more exciting like a good rock concert, or a heart-stopping, action packed, movie. So many pastors opt to try to make things a little more "exciting" to try to hold people's attention better. Right or wrong, that is where many are at, caught in a battle for relevancy and trying to reach as many people as they possibly can. The ones that are doing it well are busting at the seams and the ones that are not many times (not all the time) are struggling to keep the doors open. Occasionally, that is not the case and some Churches have not had to engage in that battle too much to keep people interested.

Now, if you find that offensive then I'm sorry. All you have to do is ask yourself why would someone gladly pay $50 to a $100 and drive an hour to get there for the chance to see some group play their instruments on a stage at some coliseum and moan and complain about the preacher passing the plate on Sunday morning? Because most of America lusts after entertainment and not something much more useful like the words of life.

You said you pay your tithes, I applaud you for that because many others in Churches don't even do that much. Yet even Jesus said if you do just what is required of you, you are not necessarily worthy of praise. Paying tithes is a minimum requirement. God says that a tenth of everything you have belongs to Him to not pay that is to steal from Him (in Malachi). Free will offerings are over and above the tithe. Is it wrong for a pastor to ask that you go above the minimum? Your answer is between you and God. As for me I do not think that is too much to ask mostly because I realize everything that I have comes from God. I know God will take care of me so why should I get bent out of shape if I have to give a little more than my tithe? I don't. It's not a question to me about whether or not I make it into heaven. That for me is not a concern. I'm gonna make it--no question about it. I trust in Jesus as my Lord and my Saviour. That is all I need to make it to heaven.

The real question is do you want to give God the minimum or your best? If you're happy with the minimum then God bless you, you're doing more than some, but please don't get angry because someone gives you the opportunity to give a little more than the minimum.

I know this was not what you were asking about and since I don't know any Churches in Jacksonville I will not be answering anymore on this post. If you would like to take the discussion further please feel free to message me. Otherwise, as I stated before, I hope you find a Church that will meet your needs.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 49,605 times
People who are truly tithing (giving God their first-fruits and not their left-overs) never complain about their church asking for money. Do you know why? Because Jesus taught that "our hearts follow our money." Once you start giving a priority-percentage to an organization, you get on board with that organization, you care about that organization, and you want to see it succeed!

Hmmm... we don't want the preachers to talk about money. Do we want our pastors to be like Jesus? Because Jesus talked about money more than any other subject—including heaven & hell!

Why did he do that? Because God's after your money? No! He doesn't need your money! But, he wants your heart, and he knows that our hearts are very tied to our money, as the initial post proves.

A question for Mr. Hitchcock: Does your interpretation of 2Cor 9 mean that you should only give if you are cheerful about it?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,032 times
A question for Mr. Hitchcock: Does your interpretation of 2Cor 9 mean that you should only give if you are cheerful about it?
My statement was that folks tend to only recite and/or remember the latter part of the verse.
I betcha that most folks have heard, "God loveth a cheerful giver" (or a variation thereof). But I bet fewer folks have heard, "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity"

Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Wow! I'm guessing most people read and interpret things the way they see fit. Kinda like the Bible, interpret it to fit your personal needs. I NEVER COMPLAINED about Tithing, extra cirricular activities for the Church have really gotten out of hand, in MY opinion. When My Church asks for donations Beyond my Tithe for the Pastor to go to Timbuktu to "hear the world famous pastor, Mr. so and so, or the Music Dept. to fly to Egypt to hear the Heavenly Choir??? in action, or money to keep the kids interested in Church by hiring a 3 ring circus, etc. THAT"S where I draw a line. God gives you options in Life, along with a Brain. Just putting mine to good use. You know what the saying is about opinions, right????

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM

106 posts, read 33,881 times
Hey Ebedeil---It's interesting that you are a pastor in Moyock. There are a bunch of those pseudo-pastors living right in your backyard----they run that CFCMI cult up in Norfolk.Ever hear of them?? Well, you will....hehe. I'm sure you'll see them driving around town in their sportscars or Harleys.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:38 PM

129 posts, read 109,539 times
Default To Rev. Ebediel:

I think tithing is a good thing if by that you mean that the Church gets 10 percent and the church member gets to keep the rest. When you get right down to it, all our money is Jesus' money. He also expects us to run households and raise our children on the rest.

It is immoral for those so called Churches that demand a Tithe = 10 percent, and also an Offering = the remaining 90 percent. God will deal harshly with those who steal from children, widows and orphans. It is written.

It is important to realize that the Church is God's home on earth, not a business competing with other businesses for the almighty dollar like so many mall stores. It is also our spiritual home on Earth. Likewise, it is not meant to be a sports venue, nor is it meant to be a health club. A Church is not made of just bricks and mortar, but it should be permanent, beautiful, and reverent.

It is also the people. They follow a Person. His name is Jesus Christ. They are to follow no other person. Even pastors can fall into sin.

All Churches have: Sunday services, Sunday school, youth groups, and adult Bible studies and fellowships. It doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg. These things can be pay as you go. If someone signs up, then he buys his own materials.

Another point, God's favorite sacrament is Matrimony. In my Church there are far more married people then single people. Consequently, children are all over the place. One really unhealthy one I know of really frowns on marriage. Some call this other Church a cult. So if you are puzzled about my post, that is which Church I allude to. See above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina