U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 AM

194 posts, read 425,480 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are new to the area and would love to check out the Outer Banks. We are a family of 5 and have a pooch. We are hoping to rent a home close to the water on the Outer Banks. When I go on the Outer Banks site, it is quite overwhelming and wanted to see if anyone could help narrow a spot for us.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 AM
VSB

167 posts, read 724,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Hi,

We are new to the area and would love to check out the Outer Banks. We are a family of 5 and have a pooch. We are hoping to rent a home close to the water on the Outer Banks. When I go on the Outer Banks site, it is quite overwhelming and wanted to see if anyone could help narrow a spot for us.

Thanks
You're going to get a wealth of opinions and may want to check out the book, "North Carolina Beaches" by Glenn Morris.

Here is my opinion:

1. We have been going to the outer banks once every summer for the past five years or so. We spent the first year in Kill Devil Hills, but since then we have always gone to either Duck or Corolla, which are two of the nicer communities north of the bridge. We favor northern Duck (tucked in between Duck and Corolla) since Duck has more activity than Corolla (in our opinion) and Corolla doesn't offer anything significantly better than Duck and is a longer drive. Traffic can get ridiculous during high season, particularly on weekends (moving day).

2. I specifically enjoy staying on the sounds side of the banks (Currituck sound). Many of these homes have a private dock, and we have rented sailboats, sailed to our dock, and moored our boat up for lunch, et cetera, before sailing back. Most homes on the sound also have a kayak or canoe stored under the house. It creates a bit of a walk to the ocean side, but if you choose wisely (i.e. at a narrow stretch of the banks), then the walk isn't too bad. It's hard to avoid walking over the crest of the hill to the ocean side, however, so if you'd like to avoid walking then you ought to stay as close to the ocean as possible. It's cooler on the ocean side as well, which generally is a good thing, since temperatures can be absurdly hot at times. There is also essentially no oceanside parking, for practical purposes. Thus, the only driving you are likely to do is to drop off the family at the beach before having to drive back to the house, park, and then walk yourself.

3. Some in our group prefer Corolla for its less crowded beaches and quieter pace. It's a personal preference, but last year we stayed at the northernmost end of the beach and I found it intolerably far. Who needs to drive an extra 30 minutes after an already long trip for a "product" or experience that isn't any better? There is a fabulous small nature preserve up there but it doesn't justify the extra distance in my opinion. You can drive there for the afternoon on one of the days of your visit.

4. We have always rented houses from either Sun Realty or Twitty. In our group's estimation, both management companies are decidedly mediocre. There is certainly room for an enterprising person or group of persons to improve service for the cost one incurs in staying at the banks during high season (i.e. any time during the summer). However, we have never experienced a true disaster and these are the two biggest companies on the banks, so they have the largest breadth of available properties. Google their websites and you'll find that they each have pretty good search engines.

5. For what it's worth, we find the southern outer banks to be much more commercialized, with much more of a "beach strip mall" type feel. That's not our thing, but some people like it and seek it out. It's much cheaper as well, which is obviously appealing and it's closer to Wright Brothers oriented sightseeing.

Last edited by VSB; 01-29-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM

213 posts, read 457,703 times
Our extended family met there last May before the schools got out, and it was wonderful. My SIL took care of the arrangements. She rented a house in Duck through Carolina Designs and had no problems. You can search their website for ocean-front homes, or they'll tell you how many yards to beach access, etc. Great photos.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-29-2009 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: no realtor links

Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 PM

809 posts, read 2,599,357 times
We've rented twice in the community of Duck (We also like Corolla as the first poster stated)....... The first time we used Sun Realty and rented on the Soundside. (The name of the house was Tom Foolery) It was a pretty good house. Not the nicest looking on the OUTSIDE but it was pretty nice inside. The pool was pretty nice and it was just feet to the water on the sound side........ the walk to the ocean was NOT bad at all.

The second time (last summer) we rented from Southern Shores Realty and their houses seemed a little bit nicer, albeit a TEENY bit more expensive. If you type in how many beds you need and what other conveniences you'd like (Like if you want to be oceanfront or soundfront, or if you want a pool or not) it will narrow the search down to compatible houses for what you want and need. I'd recommend googling Sun Realty and Southern Shores Realty. Both were very good.

The first poster also hit the nail on the head with number 5 that they pointed out. South of Duck is VERY commericialized and everything is a LOT more crammed together. It gives it a sort of "spring break 2009!!!!!!!!" feel :P It looks like lots of teens and 20 somethings do a lot of the partying in that part of the outer banks.....

As far as places to visit, Duck has TONS of shopping! Corolla has some too. I would def recommend taking one of the "self-guided" jeep tours up onto the northern part of Corolla called Carova where you can see wild horses!!!!! that was honestly one of the COOLEST things we did last summer and I'm SO glad we did! There's jet-ski rentals all along Duck. You can also rent bikes and bike along the paths. And for a fairly good restaurant I'd recommend the Sunset Grille and Raw Bar (I think it might ALSO be called Fishbones??) Eat there AS the sun is setting on their back deck! It's SO nice!

there's also the lighthouse, that's really cool to tour. And of course the Wright Brother memorial. If you have younger children there's a pirate ship you can tour in Manteo, NC (A little bit south of the Wright memorial, it's called "Pirate Adventures of the Outer Banks). There's also the Elizabethan Gardens RIGHT next door to the pirate adventure.

Of course how can you forget the beach?? :P

I hope all of this helped!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 AM

917 posts, read 2,090,860 times
My suggestion is Ocracoke. It's an island that you get to by ferries and it's basicly one town. Has small harbor, stores, restaurants and one of the nicest beaches in the world. Best thing is there are about 100 houses available to rent by the week and many of them allow pets. Prices range from 600-2000.Google Ocracoke Realty and they will send you a book with pics, discriptions and prices.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,473,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
We've rented twice in the community of Duck (We also like Corolla as the first poster stated)....... The first time we used Sun Realty and rented on the Soundside. (The name of the house was Tom Foolery) It was a pretty good house. Not the nicest looking on the OUTSIDE but it was pretty nice inside. The pool was pretty nice and it was just feet to the water on the sound side........ the walk to the ocean was NOT bad at all.

The second time (last summer) we rented from Southern Shores Realty and their houses seemed a little bit nicer, albeit a TEENY bit more expensive. If you type in how many beds you need and what other conveniences you'd like (Like if you want to be oceanfront or soundfront, or if you want a pool or not) it will narrow the search down to compatible houses for what you want and need. I'd recommend googling Sun Realty and Southern Shores Realty. Both were very good.

The first poster also hit the nail on the head with number 5 that they pointed out. South of Duck is VERY commericialized and everything is a LOT more crammed together. It gives it a sort of "spring break 2009!!!!!!!!" feel :P It looks like lots of teens and 20 somethings do a lot of the partying in that part of the outer banks.....
We've been going to the Outer Banks for years and, about 5 years ago, started renting a house in Duck and that has become our favorite place as well - for reasons already mentioned. Plus, Duck is the most amenable to walking to stores, restaurants, etc whereas anywhere else from Nags Head - Corolla, you have to drive a bit. Also, Duck has no public beach access (i.e. a public parking lot with access to the beach) so the crowds (such as they are) on the Duck beaches are kept down because you don't have people coming down to that area for the day.

We've been renting the same house in Duck every year from Sun Realty and have no complaints at all.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM

90 posts, read 291,163 times
Emerald Isle is great. My family has a place there, and we go every weekend in the summer. There's all levels of rental houses (prices go down the farther you are from the 1st row on the beach.
There are a few things to due, like puttputt etc., and Morehead City has multiple restaurants and chain stores. (30-40 min drive)

Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 AM

3,800 posts, read 9,725,443 times
Thanks for all the info everyone posted. We've just a rented a house in Duck for a week in July. It is oceanfront and we're so excited. My grandchildren live in China and are coming for a visit. I think this is going to be a wonderful week out in Duck and I'm even more excited now that I've read everyone's comments!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Hi,
I love the Corolla area...it is northern so it is much more private than the other areas but has shopping and groceries right there. We had a lot of luck with the Resort Reality and have found a favorite house we come back to each year! You can search by whatever you hold a priority in your vaca house, they have some really affordable ones that look great too! Here's the link we used:
Outer Banks Vacation Home Rentals Listed Alphabetically | Resort Realty
Good luck and enjoy your vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina