Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:28 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I'd wait for a CAT III or CAT IV to come ashore, then prices will really fall. Hope that doesn't happen, but that will knock prices down. Fast. Seen it before.

Unfortunately, you will eat some of that reduction in ever increasing insurance...if you can get it.
So if a CAT III or greater comes in and causes damage and folks just walk away you are suggesting people come in buy and foot the bill for the repairs? Or will the owners repair and then decide to sell at a loss? Or will they decide that if they repair they aren't going anywhere. Or if their houses are not really damaged they will want to sell even lower because? Perhaps prices haven't fallen because people don't want to sell because they can afford their homes and love living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

128 posts, read 505,977 times
I think that was simply an acknowledgement of the fact that real estate prices are negatively affected in the wake of any natural disaster. If a hurricane hits the coast of North Carolina prices will decline. It's a simple supply and demand inevitability. Water front homes in the gulf coast states are certainly selling for less than they were prior to the oil spill. It's the same concept.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaAppraiser View Post
I think that was simply an acknowledgement of the fact that real estate prices are negatively affected in the wake of any natural disaster. If a hurricane hits the coast of North Carolina prices will decline. It's a simple supply and demand inevitability. Water front homes in the gulf coast states are certainly selling for less than they were prior to the oil spill. It's the same concept.
The oil spill will have a much longer term impact and are there people wanting to buy oil tainted property? Correct me if I am wrong but it is the land that is a problem and not oily houses. Hurricanes damage houses. My point is that yes people on Holden if there homes are badly damaged might want to sell but for most people will that be their idea of a beach home? Are the homes on Holden Beach investment properties most of the year and rented out or are they the personal homes of folks who rarely rent? If one of four are for sale and prices are holding is a cat 3/4 going to make the others want to sell. If damaged will those already on the market lower the price and will folks buy if damaged?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM

159 posts, read 257,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Unless you purchase something in foreclosure, you will unlikely find a home under $300,000 on HB. Prices there are remaining steady, due to it's desirability, location to the coast, and Sellers just aren't in a hurry to reduce their price, and many don't have to. This is a good thing for homeowners as they are seeing their property values remain steady and resilient, it can be frustrating for Buyers. If you go a little further inland, you should find something in your price range.
You may find something more affordable on OI. Have you been using a Realtor to assist you? Rather than driving up and down the streets, with no representation from an agent, I'm afraid you are just wasting gas and spinning your wheels.
If anything I predict pricing to go up in 2010, so this year will probably be the best to purchase, as interest rates are very low, but they too are starting to creep up.
If I can be of any assistance with your questions, please feel free to DM, I have assisted many navigate the daunting task of finding a place at the beach.
i went to holden beach on the map and found some homes under 125,000. I did see an ad for Holden Beach retirement condos, but there are places close by for less.

What is the average age of the residents of the area?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
i went to holden beach on the map and found some homes under 125,000. I did see an ad for Holden Beach retirement condos, but there are places close by for less.

What is the average age of the residents of the area?
The Census says the median age of Holden Beach residents is 62.1.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 AM

138 posts, read 313,345 times
Great thread from 2010....

Got to love all the experts who predicted 2010 would be the turnaround year for real estate and Holden Beach would be insulated from the debacle.

Ron W.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,065,838 times
My prediction is houses will fluctuate in value, maybe even drop a bit through the end of 2013. At some point interest rates will have to go up and then you will have a further drop in RE prices. If people can't/won't buy at sub 4% rates what will happen when rates rise to where they should be, say around 9 to 10 percent? The Federal Reserve cannot artificially suppress rates forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina