U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM

51 posts, read 177,576 times

Advertisements

We are also looking to relocate to NC, but have found the western region is much coldre than central or eastern. I was interested in Edenton or Elizabeth City becasue they are close to the coast but far enough away from severe hurricane damage? Plus, it is in the northern section and therefore closer to NY for traveling visitors. If anyone has info on weather in Edenton or E.City, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2006, 01:38 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crighi
We are also looking to relocate to NC, but have found the western region is much coldre than central or eastern. I was interested in Edenton or Elizabeth City becasue they are close to the coast but far enough away from severe hurricane damage? Plus, it is in the northern section and therefore closer to NY for traveling visitors. If anyone has info on weather in Edenton or E.City, please let me know.
NC is divided into 3 regions, the mountains, the piedmont and the eastern plains. I've lived in all 3 sections over the past 16 years. While the eastern part of the state has the warmest winters, the summers are hazy, hot and humid. In my opinion the Asheville-Hendersonville area has the best balanced climate. Four distinct seasons with moderate Winters AND Summers.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:36 AM

192 posts, read 593,595 times
I live in Edenton. We are located in the Coastal Plains region of NC, directly on the Albemarle Sound. Elizabeth City is also a waterfront community. They are about 30 minutes apart. We're about an hour from the beaches of the Outer Banks/Atlantic Ocean. I grew up in another eastern NC town, on the Pamlico Sound. I have resided in Wilmington, Raleigh & Greenville, as well. That being said, here's your scoop on Edenton weather...

Spring is mild overall, but very unpredictable in terms of weather. Within this very week, we've had frost & evening lows in the 30's, & then daytime highs near 80, just a couple days later. As you can imagine, dressing for Easter is just the same as dressing for Halloween--never know & you just have to wait until it arrives. We have turbulent, sudden storms in spring--- all is clear & then suddenly a severe thunderstorm, ground strike lightening, hail & 60 mile hr winds. It's not unusual to have vegetation in full spring bud/bloom & then experience a snow/ice storm. We typically have our heaviest winter snows/ice in spring storms (March or April even), but some years we have none. That was the case this spring--no major winter events & this fall/winter/spring was unusually mild/warm for us.

Summer. Very hot, but it's sooo HUMID, HUMID, HUMID! Many days of 100% humidity/dewpoint of 70 degrees...feels like breathing wet cement & you feel the perspiration film all over the second you set foot outside. Some thunderstorms. Hurricane season is well underway...(JUNE 1-NOV 30).

Fall is mild--no big changing of the leaves here. Somewhat irratic weather. Can be "summer hot" one day & brisk the next. If you were attending a wedding in late sept or oct, you might not know how to dress until the day arrives...could be humid & hot/sundress, or very chilly/require a coat. Same with dressing kiddies for halloween....of DD's four halloweens in Edenton (just turned 5)...first year very cold in the evening (long underwear/costume/coat, next year mild, next year humid, sweating 80's in the afternoon, & another year yet again mild. Our most catatrophic hurricanes are typically in the fall.

Winter is mild--with occasionally a dusting of light snow, or some winters none at all. I've spent Christmas looking at a 2" snow & another Christmas in shorts & flip-flops & it's 70/80's--minus the humidity. During the winter, we have storms called "northeasters". The closer to the coast, the more affected you are by those. Northeasters can be just as devastating, on the outer banks, as a hurricane---oceanfront homes swept out to sea & the road breached by waves/sand. On the inner sounds, like Edenton & Elizabeth City, it's very nasty....cold, high winds & lots of rain.

Some tornado activity is possible, in any season here, but usually they are inbedded in hurricanes & thunderstorms here on the coast....not indepedent twisters. And we have the over water versions too...water spouts...but they are not usually too big a deal on land.

you said..."I was interested in Edenton or Elizabeth City becasue they are close to the coast but far enough away from severe hurricane damage?"

You are very, very incorrect in your perception!!!

Both are waterfront communities. Just soundfront, versus oceanfront. Absolutely no waterfront community in NC is far enough away to avoid severe hurricane damage! And quite frankly, eastern NC towns further inland, that are not waterfront, can & do experience severe hurricane damage. Sometimes, even as far inland as Greenville, Raleigh or Charlotte! You need to understand completely that a little tiny strip of land (outer banks), a few miles wide, doesn't fizzle out a hurricane to the point it's not a formidable threat when it hits the coast of NC. If NC is in the direct path of a hurricane, it slams the outer banks first & slows a slight bit initially...it's like a speed hump in a parking lot. It mows right over them & hits the water again. It picks up the strength & force it lost when it hit them, all over again, as it travels over the sounds to reach us. It pushes all that sound water into us. The jagged inner coastline doesn't provide an exit for all that water & we flood. It then hits the sound front communities & slows down as it moves, over the land, northward & inland. And sometimes they can travel quite far inland. Sometimes they fizzle out over land here & sometimes just bounce back out over the water & continue to travel up the eastern seaboard.

Hurricane Isabel lingers in my memory (as I will NEVER forget it, as it was the worst of a lifetime of hurricanes for me) as I type this. In Edenton, her damage set historically proportionate levels here--wind (tornados) & flood.

Hurricanes are truly a part of life in coastal NC. Their threat is nothing to underestimate.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 AM

51 posts, read 177,576 times
Question sounds bad

If it's this bad, why dont you move? When we were in Corolla last month, we met several locals who all told us they have never had a hurricane there. Summer sounds dreadful. Actually, your descriptions of all the seasons sounds terrible. Are you trying to keep me away?

Old 05-01-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
If it's this bad, why dont you move? When we were in Corolla last month, we met several locals who all told us they have never had a hurricane there. Summer sounds dreadful. Actually, your descriptions of all the seasons sounds terrible. Are you trying to keep me away?
crighi...

Wow, how extraordinarily rude. No, to the contrary, I've extended my sincere help to you. I'm sorry my descriptions of the seasons & weather was not to your liking. Well....(shruggin) all I can say is it's all very verifiable from a zillion sources, you certainly don't have to take my word for it.

I wrote a particularly descriptive post, thoughtfully, in the hopes of being truly helpful to you...because I know you'd get little, to no, other responses for Edenton. Couldn't have been more sincere...and took a fair amount of my time/effort.

You know....usually that provokes a kind thank you from a person....not rudeness, insults & offensive implications. Sigh...rather disapointing & irritating....oh well...sigh

I think perhaps you should rely on someone else for assistance in the future... I just find you very abrasive & thanks, but I'll pass.

[CENTER]NOTE: INFO ON COROLLA/OBX....[/CENTER]

Quote:
When we were in Corolla last month, we met several locals who all told us they have never had a hurricane there

This is not true. COROLLA, NC has experienced many hurricanes & nor'easters....too many to even begin to know how to collectively remember or account for! Corolla is part of the Outer Banks of NC...always has been, & always will be, in the potential intial "direct hit" zone....hottest hurricane red zone there is.

As with the other Edenton weather & hurricane info, no one has to take my word for it , ...it's all ridiculously easily verifiable information.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:44 PM

2004 Hurricane Photo - Everyone in NC got it.

About the only unique thing about the Corolla area, is the fact that the barrier island on which it rests faces the ocean to the north-northeast. That angle does not allow some storm surges to barrel straight into the island as it does farther south, where Dare County's barrier beaches face the ocean to the east and southeast.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/office/newsletters/2004Fall/hurricane.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 05-01-2006 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-01-2006, 04:56 PM

787 posts, read 3,323,794 times
They have provided you with the best of the best of information about the coastal areas of North Carolina. They probably don't move for the same reason I don't. Good, bad or indifferent, this my home and where I belong. If a hurricanes comes along, I do what everyone does. I gauge the situation and make arrangments based on what the experts at the weather center tells us is in our best interests. And then we watch, wait, and deal with the aftermath after it is over. I won't say that this year we won't be blown off the map. But until that happens, I intend to stay put where I grew up and know what I am doing with the weather extremes. The north has blizzards, California has earthquakes and the middle part has tornadoes. I don't how moving is going to improve my odds of living through anything else that is just as dangerous as a hurricane. But I will admit there is an art to living here. And you have to know that and respect it.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:16 PM

mm34b....I'm such a fan of your posts. And although I don't take issue/dispute with this one, as you are right, I would like to clarify something.....(okay nit pick ) I do hope you'll forgive me. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

Quote:
About the only unique thing about the Corolla area, is the fact that the barrier island on which it rests faces the ocean to the north-northeast. That angle does not allow some storm surges to barrel straight into the island as it does farther south, where Dare County's barrier beaches face the ocean to the east and southeast.
some...that's the key word to remember in that sentence.

Yes, that is what happened, during Isabel, with Corolla....they did fair better for that reason, during that storm... But I just want to additionally point out what I hope is obvious....that different storms approach at different angles
Yes, that particular angle can benefit one area, & devastate another, both within a close vicinity of one another, like in your example of Corolla vs it's close by neighbors.

Here's another example of that, on the inner banks, that's similar....in Hyde County...Engelhard & Swan Quarter are 30 miles apart & both directly on the waterfront. In a direct path hit, of a hurricane...it's particular approach angle determines which town will flood ....tides, the surge, the angle, etc. will actually push the water into one & conversely out of the other....and then sometimes...well they both flood....

For inner & outer bankers....it's different than for those located more inland....we're living & dying on that last moment, before the slam, angle info... and it's different each & every time.

I beg forgiveness again for nitpicking....this is the second thread on which crighi's posted that corolla is completely hurricane free. Just trying to make certain there are no misconceptions..

Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
mm34b....I'm such a fan of your posts. And although I don't take issue/dispute with this one, as you are right, I would like to clarify something.....(okay nit pick ) I do hope you'll forgive me. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

some...that's the key word to remember in that sentence.

Yes, that is what happened, during Isabel, with Corolla....they did fair better for that reason, during that storm... But I just want to additionally point out what I hope is obvious....that different storms approach at different angles
Yes, that particular angle can benefit one area, & devastate another, both within a close vicinity of one another, like in your example of Corolla vs it's close by neighbors.

Here's another example of that, on the inner banks, that's similar....in Hyde County...Engelhard & Swan Quarter are 30 miles apart & both directly on the waterfront. In a direct path hit, of a hurricane...it's particular approach angle determines which town will flood ....tides, the surge, the angle, etc. will actually push the water into one & conversely out of the other....and then sometimes...well they both flood....

For inner & outer bankers....it's different than for those located more inland....we're living & dying on that last moment, before the slam, angle info... and it's different each & every time.

I beg forgiveness again for nitpicking....this is the second thread on which crighi's posted that corolla is completely hurricane free. Just trying to make certain there are no misconceptions..
I agree with you 100%. Every storm is different. No guarantees come with Mother Nature.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
They have provided you with the best of the best of information about the coastal areas of North Carolina. They probably don't move for the same reason I don't. Good, bad or indifferent, this my home and where I belong. If a hurricanes comes along, I do what everyone does. I gauge the situation and make arrangments based on what the experts at the weather center tells us is in our best interests. And then we watch, wait, and deal with the aftermath after it is over. I won't say that this year we won't be blown off the map. But until that happens, I intend to stay put where I grew up and know what I am doing with the weather extremes. The north has blizzards, California has earthquakes and the middle part has tornadoes. I don't how moving is going to improve my odds of living through anything else that is just as dangerous as a hurricane. But I will admit there is an art to living here. And you have to know that and respect it.

Thank you kindly. I wholeheartedly agree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina