U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 11,341 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Would love advice and input on locating to Coastal NC from Cape Cod. We have 2 small children, so schools and neighborhoods are important. We would like to be a development with kids. I am a nurse so would love to be within 1/2 hour to hour of a hospital. My husband is in construction, would love to hear about the job market. I have researched areas in Cartaret County. Morehead City comes up alot but I don't want to be in a city. Thanks for any advice and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM

917 posts, read 2,091,755 times
Morehead City is NOT a city, it's just called that. It's more like the towns on the cape. No where near as big as Hyannis.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,684 times
Smile Carteret might fit you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathiecape View Post
Hi All,
Would love advice and input on locating to Coastal NC from Cape Cod. We have 2 small children, so schools and neighborhoods are important. We would like to be a development with kids. I am a nurse so would love to be within 1/2 hour to hour of a hospital. My husband is in construction, would love to hear about the job market. I have researched areas in Cartaret County. Morehead City comes up alot but I don't want to be in a city. Thanks for any advice and input.
We live on the western side of Carteret County in one of several subdivisions that are in the area. Carteret County only has 66,000 in the whole county.

Almost all of the small towns have something unique about them. We're ten minutes from Swansboro which is a quaint waterfront fishing town. Also we are ten minutes from the beaches of Emerald Isle.

On top of that we live on the White Oak River and can be in the Intracoastal Waterway in ten minutes or in the ocean in twenty minutes.

There is a hospital in Morehead City that would be around 25 minutes from us. The hospital in Jacksonville is thirty minutes and the one in New Bern is forty five minutes.

The construction business is slow here now as it is everywhere, but this is such a great area to live in that it will pick up again.

The schools are very good. Our local high school, Croatan, just won a national award as one of the top six hundred high schools in the country. The elementary school is about eight minutes from us. Both high school and middle school are twelve to fifteen minutes.

There is good shopping under twenty minutes from us in Morehead City. You can get an idea of services from this map.

Have a look at the articles that I have written about the area at this index of posts which has helped others looking at the area.

Our development, Bluewater Cove, has a number of children in it. There is an ice cream truck that even comes around in the area in the summer.

This is a list of my reasons for living here. We love the area. It has great churches, friendly people, and small enough towns so that you get to know people.

There are also people here from all over. A number of artists and writers are in the area. There is plenty of interesting history down in Beaufort.

If you love the water and out of doors, this is a fantastic place. In addition to the beaches, Bogue Sound, Hammocks Beach State Park, and the Intracoastal Waterway, we also have the 158,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest.

If you have questions just let me know.

Last edited by dsobotta; 02-01-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: wrong word in link

Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,341 times
Thanks for the input...planning to travel down soon and look around so any suggestions on areas to focus on are appreciated!!
Are you still in real estate? I am looking for someone to show us some property when we come down..

Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,684 times
Smile Answer to your question

Quote:
Thanks for the input...planning to travel down soon and look around so any suggestions on areas to focus on are appreciated!!
Are you still in real estate? I am looking for someone to show us some property when we come down..
Yes I am. If you send me a private message with dates, I can be available.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,119,224 times
Quote:
... would love to hear about the job market. .....Thanks for any advice and input.
It is dismal.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM

96 posts, read 296,392 times
Default Emerald Isle

Try Emerald Isle. Beautiful....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina