U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 AM

27 posts, read 84,435 times

Advertisements

I noticed your post and was interested to chat with you since I'm looking to move to the NC coast next year (or this year depending upon finances). I practice acupuncture, and was wondering what areas of the OUter Banks would be best for me to open a clinic. I'm very mature, 48 years old, and mentor with a Chinese doctor here in Denver. I want to move to the place I will settle. I do like arts galleries, coffee shops, beaches and health food stores. Can you recommend a town or two for me to scope out when I visit? My parents are retired in Myrtle Beach and I grew up in Burlington, so I know the culture fairly well. I just am less familiar with the OBX, but my dream is to open a small tea house with acupuncture/massage. Thank you for your help.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM

412 posts, read 1,108,761 times
raleighkc is correct, I am incorrect. There is not a hiring freeze across the state. I work at the community college and we are not hiring right now b/c of the economy, and I made assumptions.

BUT here is a link to a recent article about a job fair that was canceled because of the economy:
New Hanover school board cancels job fair | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

As far as safety goes, you are fine as long as you don't live in certain parts of downtown. It's probably best to avoid the 28401 zip code altogether just to be sure. If you are coming from a big city in Ohio you will probably be fine as I assume you have some basic street-smart knowledge.

Wilmington does have a lot of tourists, but mainly only in the summer months when it's warm enough to go to the beach - May - Sept. As long as you avoid the beaches on the big holiday weekends, it's not too bad.

The cost of housing here is expensive in relation to salaries, but it is getting better. You can find a nice 3 bedroom house in a nice, safe neighborhood under $150K if you look hard enough. During the housing boom it was hard to find anything decent under $180K, but market forces are correcting that. You will probably have to rent for a few years anyway, and apartments are easy to find here since it is a college town.

If you can't find a job in Wilmington (New Hanover County), you could look in Leland (Brunswick County). Leland has grown exponentially in the last few years, so I'm sure the schools have expanded. There could be some job opportunities there. It's right across the bridge from Wilmington, so you would have quick access to city-life in Wilmington.

P.S. don't expect a huge salary here, but state-employee benefits are decent

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 AM

96 posts, read 296,357 times
Default acupuncture user friendly town

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthelen View Post
I noticed your post and was interested to chat with you since I'm looking to move to the NC coast next year (or this year depending upon finances). I practice acupuncture, and was wondering what areas of the OUter Banks would be best for me to open a clinic. I'm very mature, 48 years old, and mentor with a Chinese doctor here in Denver. I want to move to the place I will settle. I do like arts galleries, coffee shops, beaches and health food stores. Can you recommend a town or two for me to scope out when I visit? My parents are retired in Myrtle Beach and I grew up in Burlington, so I know the culture fairly well. I just am less familiar with the OBX, but my dream is to open a small tea house with acupuncture/massage. Thank you for your help.
Michelle
<b>I'm not familiar enough with all of the Outer Banks towns to know, but I do know that the Morehead City area seems to be very friendly to this sort of thing. The community college has a massage therapy school, and does a lot of courses on "touch for healing" Morehead City is just north of Emerald Isle [less than 20 miles]. Between the two on the beach road, they have recently added a new spa. This entire area seems to be a rather "open" community. There has recently been a lot of building in this area as well--ie new stores, etc. New Bern, a bit inland, also is user friendly to acupuncture/massage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina