U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM

656 posts, read 1,464,077 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how these areas are doing? I used to stay there for alittle bit and my family originates there (Hertford mostly). Some of my great aunts (obviously the term great lets you know that they are older) have told me that crime has been getting out of control. Breakins, stick ups and now GANGS. I wanted to ask people here that are probably alot younger because truth be told, the older (65 and up) members of my family tend to exaggerate things

I stayed there when I was in my 2nd and 3rd year of highschool then went back to NY. I could NEVER imagine gangs in THAT rural. MY guess is they're abunch of "wanna be's" but even still, those ones are sometimes worse than real gangbangers because they fell as though they have something to prove. Also how does crime there (all three areas) rank in the state overall?

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,640 times
(<-----)justfarr1030)

Can I get an answer?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 AM

144 posts, read 608,219 times
There are gangs there mostly in EC but also somewhat in the surrounding areas. From what I've been told most of them are wannabees but it was started by someone from Norfolk who came to EC and decided to start it up there. Bloods and Crips mostly but there are others trying to move in now as well.
I don't know how they stand up to the other areas in NC but I do know that the crime in EC and surrounding area has gotten pretty bad. Most of it as usual is drug and gang related. There is a lot of violence and theft as the neighborhoods are really hurting from the economy.
There are several initiatives to try to help with some of the gang violence, but so far the city has not taken it serious enough to really try to do anything about it. There is too much political infighting to get much else accomplished there.
There are still nice neighborhoods in each of the towns that you have mentioned as there will probably always be, but some sections have gotten pretty bad.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,464,077 times
Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 14,255 times
The gang problem is in the "city" part of Elizabeth City the county is still nice and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina