U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,354,381 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the input! Schools aren't important to me as it would be a small, second home. I will check out the areas you mentioned and definitely do my research on weather damage. Hopefully, I can have the same luck as your brother-in-law!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 10:37 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
New Bern would be the largest of these towns if that is a factor. And it is also the furtherest from the actual coast. Although there is an inlet or something that runs through New Bern so you would see water there. Great little historical town. It is in Craven County and some 45 miles maybe from the actual coast and Morehead City.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,354,381 times
I've read a lot of interest in New Bern from this forum. I love historic towns. It's going to be fun exploring next month!

Old 06-23-2006, 12:33 PM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
Be sure and check out Tryon Palace which was the governor's mansion when New Bern was the capital of North Carolina. Raleigh is the capital now but New Bern has a pretty nice historic district.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
chandler - haha I have to tell you that's a pretty ridiculous looking photograph on your website. The photoshopped one where someone holding a huge grouper (I think) superimposed against a beachfront. lol, I don't think you're fooling anybody.

I can understand you're trying to make money, but don't pretend like the Outer Banks and Charlotte are in the same league with hurricanes. When Hugo hit Charlotte it was what, a Cat1?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 100,435 times
Default Outer Banks

Hey, if you wanna move to Dare County - you go for it!!! Yea, the taxes are high and you do have to deal with coastal issues. But you just weigh out the pros against the cons. I've wanted to live there forever and will someday if I can come up with the funds to do so! Wouldn't even consider ocean front - #1 is the cost and #2 is of course weather issues. But living soundside or between the highways - of course I'd do it!
There's earthquakes in California, but folks live there and love it. The Outer Bankers figure it's worth the occasional inconvenience and even danger to live on one of the most beautiful islands on the planet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina