U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

The Outer Banks is a great place to live and raise children. Low taxes, great schools and, oh yeah, the beach. Great year round communities like Southern Shores, Nags Head & Kitty Hawk awaite you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,905,266 times
One word; Hurricanes.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,374 times
Default Hugo wiped out my house...

...that was in Charlotte! Flooding, earthquakes, tornados, blizzards, tsunamis, locusts..what'cha going to do?

Old 06-22-2006, 01:01 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanrock.com
The Outer Banks is a great place to live and raise children. Low taxes, great schools and, oh yeah, the beach. Great year round communities like Southern Shores, Nags Head & Kitty Hawk awaite you!
The Outer Bank counties of Currituck, Dare, Hyde and Carteret have some of the highest local tax burdens in all of North Carolina's 100 counties.

Dare - 1
Currituck - 2
Hyde - 7
Carteret - 13

The lowest local tax burden

Alexander - 100
Madison - 99
Gates - 98
Caswell - 97

Last edited by mm34b; 06-22-2006 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-22-2006, 01:17 PM

787 posts, read 3,322,704 times
There is no way I would live on the Outer Banks. There is a potential hurricane out there awaiting you as well. Perhaps even more than one. The equation is :

Warm Atlantic Ocean + Summer month and early fall months + The Outer Banks and any other coastal county = at least one major landfalling hurricane about what 2-3 years perhaps if not more often than that? Getting out is an art in itself. You have one road in and out of some of these places. You could be stuck in traffic for hours and literally run out of gas before you get to safety. Not to mention the home owners' insurance premiums. Nice place to vacation but I wouldn't live there unless I get a lot richer than I am now. All it takes is one good or half way good storm to level your house, your dreams and bankrupt you not only financially but emotionally as well. If you just have to be there, at least take a look at the newer hurricane constructioned homes that are designed to withstand highter wind speeds than most other houses. They cost more but believe me you will save in the long run. Do your homework as well. Just about the time the city council thinks they have the building codes up to date, something else will happen and out date six month old codes. Good luck but I wouldn't just throw a dart there and say "Outer Banks here I come." You just have no idea what can and probably will happen. Just out North Carolina history as though your life depended on it. And that is because it probably does if you decide to build, live, or work there. I would get inland at least a couple of counties. It might not save you from all the brunt of a hurricane but at least if you are say 50 miles inland, you will at least be safe from the number one killer in hurricanes, storm surge. Inland flooding is the issue further inland not to mention other damage from the winds. Good luck but do your homework.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,811 times
Bethany,
Could you suggest an area a little more inland that would be nice for a modest second home? I would love to have a place not more than 20 minutes away from the coast (Family friendly as I have 3 little ones).
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,901,886 times
Quote:
...that was in Charlotte! Flooding, earthquakes, tornados, blizzards, tsunamis, locusts..what'cha going to do?
May I ask which part of Charlotte?

Last edited by Yac; 06-23-2006 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,901,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
Bethany,
Could you suggest an area a little more inland that would be nice for a modest second home? I would love to have a place not more than 20 minutes away from the coast (Family friendly as I have 3 little ones).
How about Newport? My sister in-law lives 20 minutes from Atlantic Beach. Not very expensive I don't think but nice.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,811 times
Thanks a1m! I'll look into it.
I can't believe you didn't tell me to forget the beach and look into Lake Norman waterfront .

Old 06-23-2006, 10:22 AM

787 posts, read 3,322,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
Bethany,
If you are interested in just the beach area anywhere along the coast, try Pender County, Rocky Point, Castle Hayne, and Hamstead. Although I am not totally sure which county Castle Hayne is in Pender or New Hanover. The taxes and car insurance are less in Pender County so I am told but the public schools in New Hanover are better, again so I have been told. Now moving north up the coast look at Newport, Havelock, even New Bern in Craven County would be better than being right dead on the coast. At the northern end of the state, I am not as familiar with them but I have heard that Bath is nice and Elizabeth City. Just don't plan on living on an island at least until the next 25 years or so of this hurricane active phase passes. I think somewhere along the way you will live to regret it. Vacation there all you please in good weather. Just don't have property there that can disappear before you can say "Where are the car keys so we can leave?" My BIL lives in Rocky Point and he loves it there. And BTW he has a manufactured home that was built to sustain winds of about 110 MPH and so far so good. He has been there 10 years and it is still in one piece. We live inland about 100 miles and we got more damage than he did. Of course, this is subject to change at any given hurricane season. Staying safe is the main thing. Watch for the next storm to hit and see what the local residents in the eye of the storm go through. Or watch the Katrina stories again.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 06-23-2006 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina