U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 PM

10 posts, read 73,078 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a young man from a small town on cape cod in massachusettes. I am looking to move into the wilmington area, but I am looking for a small town outside of wilmington that i can A) afford (i'm making under 30K a year). B) Is safe (i'm looking to bring my fiance down with me and eventually start a family, so high crime rates are a turn off for her) and C) is close to wrightsville, carolina, and kure beaches. (i surf religiously and this is a high priority, close as in within 30 min). Does anyone have some small town recomendations that they think might fit those criteria. If so , help me get my search and this thread started. Thanks everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 09:31 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressyourself View Post
Hello. I am a young man from a small town on cape cod in massachusettes. I am looking to move into the wilmington area, but I am looking for a small town outside of wilmington that i can A) afford (i'm making under 30K a year). B) Is safe (i'm looking to bring my fiance down with me and eventually start a family, so high crime rates are a turn off for her) and C) is close to wrightsville, carolina, and kure beaches. (i surf religiously and this is a high priority, close as in within 30 min). Does anyone have some small town recomendations that they think might fit those criteria. If so , help me get my search and this thread started. Thanks everyone!
All I can offer is that it sounds like Shalotte is the spot for you. Start your research there

Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times
I agree about Shalotte. Also check out Boiling Spring Lakes (near Southport) and Leland.

All the best!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:53 PM

219 posts, read 788,852 times
Progress,
The wife and I hope to be in Calabash/Shallotte area by summer.
We love that area and you may be able to find something in Shallotte or the other places people mentioned.
You wouldn't be far from Wilmington or Wrightsville.
The crime from what we know is pretty non existant.
Don't know a thing about surfing but the beaches up and down that part of NC are beautiful.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
I don't think Shallotte would be a good idea. If you want to be within 30 minutes of Carolina, Kure or Wrightsville Beach, then from Shallotte it will take you at least 45 minutes to get to those beaches, probably more. I live downtown, not too far from the 17/74/76 bridge over the River, and it takes me about 20 minutes.

I would think that you'd want to be closer to Wilmington, around Castle Hayne, Hampstead, Belville, or Leland. If you live to the west/southwest of Wilmington, there's only one way to get to Wilmington/New Hanover Beaches, and that's to go through the bridge.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM

197 posts, read 876,205 times
Shallotte would be within 15 minutes of Ocean Isle Beach and Holden Beach. Ocean Isle is pretty popular with the surfers, not sure about Holden.

Wrightsville is probably about 30 minutes from Carolina and a little more to Kure. To be within 30 minutes of all 3, you'd pretty much need to be in Wilmington or Leland. Other areas to look at that might be within 30 minutes depending on traffic - Hampstead or Castle Hayne, maybe Burgaw.
Burgaw is a really nice little town.

There are lots of good beaches besides those three. You might want to consider Oak Island to the south, Topsail and Surf City to the north.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,328,424 times
Progress;
I don't know if you have found this great surfers site, WbLiveSurf.com
Worth checking out. It is a Wrightsville Beach site and might help direct you to an interesting place.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
Leland is a browning town listed as 15 safest town in NC and only 18 minutes to WB. I have lived her 10 years and never had a problem. Love it here.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:00 AM

217 posts, read 70,118 times
Not Boiling Spring Lakes. Hurricane Florence destroyed a couple of dams, emptying lakes that are in the middle of town. It’s a mess, with no fix in the foreseeable future.

Leland has a variety of housing, retail, restaurants and is a quick drive to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. Some of the barrier islands might have affordable housing too. I know surfing on Oak Island is popular.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:41 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Not Boiling Spring Lakes. Hurricane Florence destroyed a couple of dams, emptying lakes that are in the middle of town. Itís a mess, with no fix in the foreseeable future.

Leland has a variety of housing, retail, restaurants and is a quick drive to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. Some of the barrier islands might have affordable housing too. I know surfing on Oak Island is popular.
As an FYI, the OP was 11 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina