U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,334 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have lived in St. Petersburg, FL my entire life (next to Tampa) and I am ready to get out of here. I have done a lot of research on a lot of states and the cost of living and such. I am an accountant, so I am not too concerned about being able to get a job, plus I own my own business. My husband has a company creating websites for small companies. We have 2 kids. My question to you all, is this. If I am looking for a quite town, but not too countryish, would this be the right place to go? Is it a good place to raise children? Also, I have my own bookkeeping service for small companies. Does anyone know or have any experience in having their own business and how it is there? Also, how is the weather and the humidity there? Like I said I live in Florida and it is very humid here.

I look foward to everyone's response.

Last edited by karlylang; 02-18-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 AM

57 posts, read 246,041 times
Find jobs before you move here.
Unemployment is high and there have been many layoffs recently.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 AM

195 posts, read 595,451 times
If you could keep all of your clients from FL and do your work remotely it would be great. Don't how your state income tax will work if you do this, but you may be able to retain FL residence and avoid them all together. Wilmington is great place to live but it has it's downfalls for raising children. Not the greatest schools around, and somewhat high crime rate. Most people you will meet do not have children. If you are looking to escape the humidity, then your barking up the wrong tree. Wilmington will be cooler in the winter but the same if not worse in the summer as St. Pete. There is a great vibe and a hip culture there with many interesting things going on. It's captivating in a sence, feels like you never have to grow up when your there. May sound weird, but I'm sure others will back me on this. No other place like it. Charleston may be better for work, if you plan on trying to find a career oriented job. I suggest taking an extended trip of atleast 10days and do pleanty of research.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,442 times
Wilmington is great for kids. Lots for them to do. I was raised here in Wilmington, NC. The schools are pretty good, and I own my own business. So if you are thinking about it, come and have a visit.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 PM

610 posts, read 2,755,188 times
Wilmington is not a good place to move to unless you have a decent job lined up.

The job market in Wilmington is horrible. Jobs have been hard to come by in Wilmington, even when the economy was doing well.

Wilmington is mainly a town that caters to rich retirees from up North.

There is a large disparity in Wilmington between the rich and the poor.

I know many people in Wilmington who have advanced degrees in technical fields that are working for $8 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina