Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The efficiency thing is true. And if they moved any slower they'd be going backwards. However, I have found myself asking a native to slow down when they speak. I'll get them to repeat what they've said and then say "Can you slow down your speech a little? I'm from up north". They usually laugh and repeat whatever gibberish they said but slower.
Yeah, Goldenage, not sure where the people you are talking to are originally from, but natives of ENC, basically everywhere from Kinston on east, tend to talk real fast and low, to where it can almost sound like mumbling to the untrained ear. The worst sound like Boomhauer from King of the Hill. Then it slows the farther west you go until you hit the mountains where they draw all of their words out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
2) I have never had the experience that "outsiders are not welcome". My neighbors are transplants from many states and countries, and we have been welcomed to the community. Perhaps there are a few country towns where you might see hostility to a Yankee.
And there-in lies the reason you've never felt the cold shoulder. Live in a neighborhood where the majority are ENC natives and you find out real quick that they don't think much of outsiders. The cold shoulder was one of the primary reasons we moved and why I wasn't very happy about living here in NC. We're in a neighborhood now where the majority of folks are from somewhere else and it's a whole lot friendlier.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 18,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Yeah, Goldenage, not sure where the people you are talking to are originally from, but natives of ENC, basically everywhere from Kinston on east, tend to talk real fast and low, to where it can almost sound like mumbling to the untrained ear. The worst sound like Boomhauer from King of the Hill. Then it slows the farther west you go until you hit the mountains where they draw all of their words out.
This is exactly me. I am from North Carolina and I talk really fast and low, but I don't think I sound like Boomhauer or have much of southern twang. It's really funny because my parents and my wife's parents were not raised here (my parents are from different parts of Virginia, my dad talks more like me. Richmond area guy) and they have a hard time understanding us when we talk we get going and they look at us like we speak another language. Her parents are from the midwest and the have a terrible time with the way I talk! (again not the southern draw but the high speed mumble and low volume)

There was a comment about how the politicians are short sighted earlier and I would like to respond to that. They usually do two things that make forward thinking leaps (the CFCC bond, the 3rd st renovation bonds and convention center) and then they take a step backward, the baseball stadium. I hate baseball but I think it would have been a wonderful project for the city to undertake and the price was realistic and not that high. The aforementioned projects are a reflection of the community though and the political climate. The two steps forward were before the big anti-big government push. The stadium was campaigned against as a tax and the other two were campaigned as public goods. All public works require money and provide positive and negative things. The city has a long history of make backward steps with forward. Most of the parking lots downtown used to be buildings that got torn down (because of age) and then parking lots were built. Bailey's historical theater is an example of that, but lucky a campaign kept the facade of the building. At any rate, in a small city like Wilmington these things are visible but there are lots of good progressive things that happen as well.

There was also a comment about outsiders not being welcome. Most people from here and who have lived here a long time are very friendly to new people who live here. Most people are sick of tourists at the same rate and people who visit for work reasons and act like they are special because the come from somewhere bigger and better. We all get sick of those people no matter who they are. Tourists bring the money to the area but the also cause a lot of stress to an area full of mostly laid back people. If you move here you will be welcomed people will be glad to great you. If you are visiting it can be a tougher reception. That has nothing to do with where your from but Wilmington gets tired of dealing with visitors.

All that being said I have met many people visiting from out of town and they were nice and provided good conversation. Military contractors at conventions, people from chicago on work, etc. They all were nice and they are doing good work.

People can suck no matter where you are at, but at least there are more friendly, laid back and chill people here in Wilmington than most other cities in NC. I say that as a NC native and as someone who has lived and visited around the state. There is a vibe to the city that is different than most other towns. Also I think the downtown area is a lot bigger than people realize due to the lack of exploration.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:27 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swc7838 View Post
This is exactly me. I am from North Carolina and I talk really fast and low, but I don't think I sound like Boomhauer or have much of southern twang. It's really funny because my parents and my wife's parents were not raised here (my parents are from different parts of Virginia, my dad talks more like me. Richmond area guy) and they have a hard time understanding us when we talk we get going and they look at us like we speak another language. Her parents are from the midwest and the have a terrible time with the way I talk! (again not the southern draw but the high speed mumble and low volume)
I grew up on the coast and know exactly what you mean. I don't have an accent either. At least not in my mind. In fact, according to my cousins in Alabama I speak "propah". The only time I've been told I had an accent was when I lived in Northern Virginia. Like I said, you get more twang the farther west you go.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM

20 posts, read 76,456 times
The main problem with Wilmington is its immaturity factor -- the people there are incredibly sociable and engaging, but they are also extremely small-minded, shallow and politically oppressive, and will completely ostracize you if you ever show signs of actually thinking outside their very small mental box.

As far as racism goes, however, when I lived in Wilmington, so long as you looked white or acted white if you weren't, you were okay. I don't know how it is now, but I distinctly remember all that being the case. My best advice to anyone thinking of moving to Wilmington (or anywhere else in NC) is to watch the Will Ferrell and Zack Galiafinakis movie "The Campaign", and start adjusting yourself to that way of being, because it's pretty much right on the money.

Wilmington works for you if you mostly just turn your brain off and go with the somewhat childish flow. On the whole, it's a very well-mannered town with a strong sense of propriety, but you can easily spook the cattle if you ever start questioning their current trends or status quo.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDutchman View Post
The main problem with Wilmington is its immaturity factor -- the people there are incredibly sociable and engaging, but they are also extremely small-minded, shallow and politically oppressive, and will completely ostracize you if you ever show signs of actually thinking outside their very small mental box.
That is a problem everywhere in ENC. If you suggest that something may be done better or more efficiently, you get the very cold stare. Me personally, I welcome suggestions. If you have an idea then I'm all ears. But then, I'm not from ENC and don't carry that huge chip on my shoulders.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 AM

9 posts, read 16,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimeeeNY View Post
I have lived in NY all my life. In June we are moving to wilmington. I looked at the schools first. There are good and bad every where. I found good schools. I have an elementary age child and starting middle school.
Kimeee we have small children and are looking to relocate to the Wilmington area as well. What town and school district did you land in? And how are you liking it? We are looking at Hampstead because I have read great things about the Topsail school district.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 16,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkrunner View Post
Hi,
Planning on moving to Wilmington in 10 or 11 months from Wisconsin. Refuse to go back to apt life since I've owned my own home for 14 years. I've live in the same place my whole life, so I'm not quite ready to buy a home until I've been in the community a few years and things setttle into place. Hope to rent a single family home, maybe foreclosure, whatever. Have a young child and am on a tight budget. Nervous about the quality of schools, just because we have pretty amazing public schools here, just hate the winter. Don't want to do private schools unless it's absolutely neccessary - just don't like the whole elitest attitude about them. If my child can't get an excellent education at a public school, I will move to a new city until I find one that she can. Plan to visit in two weeks and hoping to find some useful info before then so that we can make the most of our visit.

Did you move? And how are you liking it? We are from Northern IL so right up your alley....just curious how things have turned out for you : )

Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM

173 posts, read 404,127 times
Would appreciate hearing REAL perspective on racism in Wilmington, I have read a lot of negative things online elsewhere.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM

20 posts, read 76,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
Would appreciate hearing REAL perspective on racism in Wilmington, I have read a lot of negative things online elsewhere.
Most Wilmingtonians I grew up with, have a particular enculturated hate-on for black people. It's quite fashionable there, from what I recall -- whether you live in the more redneck areas like Castle Hayne, or the more suburban areas like Pine Valley.

Other races don't seem to be on their radar, although it's becoming more en vogue for them to start hating Mexicans, too, due to the recent influx of Mexicans into NC, but on the whole, other ethnicities aren't really thought about that much.

Wilmington's anti-black tradition is mostly tradition. But then again, much of the black population in Wilmington plays the disarrayed black culture role to a "T".

In Wilmington, everybody plays their designated role. Maybe that's why Hollywood does so well there, now, as playing roles has always been second nature to Wilmingtonians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina