U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM

4,099 posts, read 6,426,598 times

Advertisements

Are there any recent retirees who relocated to Wilmington who are very satisfied with the area? Comments appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM

6,975 posts, read 12,504,449 times
I thought at least one would answer. Maybe there are not as many as the retirement publications want us to think. I would have liked to have heard some responses myself. I would think it would be a nice place for many to retire to.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:23 PM

77 posts, read 205,711 times
Wilmington is a nice place, however I would live in Brunswick County. Too much drama in New Hanover County. Forced annexation, city/county government turmoil, high taxes, very rough areas, gangs, drugs........it has it all. Brunswick County is not trouble free, but a lot more freindly. Plenty of land to be had or buy existing home. Many price ranges. Been near Southport for 32 years. Plan to stay!

Old 11-17-2009, 05:30 AM

431 posts, read 1,012,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Wilmington is a nice place, however I would live in Brunswick County. Too much drama in New Hanover County. Forced annexation, city/county government turmoil, high taxes, very rough areas, gangs, drugs........it has it all. Brunswick County is not trouble free, but a lot more freindly. Plenty of land to be had or buy existing home. Many price ranges. Been near Southport for 32 years. Plan to stay!
With maybe the exception of taxes, won't you find those problems just about anywhere? No city or town is perfect.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM

6,975 posts, read 12,504,449 times
I know for me living in a large Metro area Portland, Oregon, the problems with crime, drugs and violent crime is very high. I would not want to live anywhere with crime statistics this high again in my life. Nor would I ever want to see again on a daily basis, the large amount of strange people wandering about obviously drugged out like I see in Portland.

If I were to retire in the Wilmington area these problems would still be there, but no where's near the level I see here in Portland. As has been said no place is perfect. When I visited Wilmington believe me when I say, I saw an entirely different population out and about than one see's here in Portland. Crime drugs, gangs, drive by shootings is very visible here and in large numbers. Some of the drug activity is overlooked especially the use of pot in public places. This is due to the live and let live Radical politics in this particular city. For anyone that has never been to Portland. It is a hippie, homeless and hipster city dominated by a youth culture. It's slogan is "Keep Portland Weird". Not to diminish the effects crime has on Wilmington, I'm sure it does. However Wilmington and its problems would probably seem much less to anyone that has lived in Portland.

On another note. Where do people that live in Wilmington see the area/region going Economically in the next years? Will the population keep growing steadily or slow down? Will retirees continue to retire to this area or decide against it? Actually what does anyone feel are the main draws for retirees to the area? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
With maybe the exception of taxes, won't you find those problems just about anywhere? No city or town is perfect.
Usually not to this extent. My main thought was to recommend Brunswick County, which certainly has problems, but not as many as New Hanover/Wilmington.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,244,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
How do you figure?

Brunswick has higher property taxes than New Hanover, for one -
it also has forced annexation (St. James)
it has city/county gov't turmoil (Oak Island, Carolina Shores, Shallotte, teachers having sex with students, crooked county sherriff, bridge collapse, protests over the new port, school board that supports creationism, etc.).
it also has rough areas, gangs, and drugs - statistically, crime in Brunswick is worse than New Hanover.
and personally I haven't seen anything particularly friendly about Brunswick, or unfriendly about New Hanover.

The only thing I can grant you, is that Brunswick has more land, and has homes in lower price ranges.

I'd recommend that someone live in New Hanover if they prefer urban areas, and Brunswick if they prefer rural areas.

Last edited by le roi; 11-19-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,640,593 times
i totally second what you stated , rubberfactory!

New Hanover is as close to urban as you are going to
get in these parts of NC.
wilmington will give you a sense of a city ,
something good [ to us anyway] happens when one travels across the cape fear river , Brunswick is very rural ,
while driving back from Charlotte tonite , all i saw along the road were hunters with their
dogboxes on the back of their pick-ups.
nothing negative but there is a big difference between the two counties.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 PM

If you folks are happy in Wilmington/New Hanover, by all means stay there. Just keep your heads down and doors locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina