U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 PM

4,079 posts, read 6,419,104 times

Advertisements

I am a retiree and planning to relocate to the Wilmington area. I don't need a job or need to be that close to Wilmington that I can think of. I am also looking at Hampstead which seems to be a better choice as I prefer quiet setting to nightlife.
Comments appreciated, thanks.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,282,378 times
Yes, Hampstead is much quieter than Wilmington (except for the roar of Hwy. 17). A lot less crime, too.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 AM

291 posts, read 766,356 times
Hampstead is a really nice place to retire if you are looking for a quiet lifestyle....we enjoy living here and property taxes are probably less than Wilmington. All depends on what you like to do on a daily basis...Mayfaire and nice shopping is only 25 minutes away....beach is about 15 minutes (depending on where you live in Hampstead). Daily needs can be met without going very far.... do you have any specific questions about what you are looking for in a retirement spot? Or specific hobbies or interests you would like to pursue? I love going into Wilmington about once a week and always breathe a sigh of relief to get back to our peaceful little spot! If you don't live close to Hwy 17, you hear NOTHING at night...it is wonderful!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 AM

12 posts, read 30,128 times
Hi, I guess it would depend upon your frame of mind. Wilmington is a face paced hop to it kind of town and Hampstead is a little more laid back and relaxed. Both places can and will be idea locations. Again it will depend on you as an individual. You will be greeted and welcomed either place. Wilmington is more active with the hustle and bustle & Hampstead is booming in its' own way, just less of it and more quietly. If money and work is definately not a factor, my reccommendation would be Hampstead, as I enjoy the quiet times. Hope you enjoy wherever you go.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM

4,079 posts, read 6,419,104 times
Thanks for you posts.
I am an active retiree who enjoys fishing and eating fish. Love hard shell crabs and must be near a good crab house or supply. I am not interested laying on the beach and swimming in the ocean. I like to be able to find my shopping needs within about 5 miles, up to 10 miles is OK. I like an area with good medical care and low crime.
I see that Hampstead looks like a good candidate but I how does it compare to Oak Island or Southport?

Thanks,
Don

Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 AM

291 posts, read 766,356 times
Can you believe we've never even been to Oak Island?! So I can't comment there.... Southport is a great little town - vibrant and lively - we have only been there as "tourists", so don't know much about day to day life there - it seemed very busy to us when we were there..lots of tourists about on the cute city streets.
I can only comment on Hampstead....if you read one of my other posts on here, you can find out about day to day life and meeting your daily shopping needs right here. Hampstead is full of fishermen/women. It has always been a fishing village, but has evolved into much more. Do you fish from a pier, boat or from the beach? Hope you will get down here and kind of look around sometime....that is the only way, IMHO, to get a real feel for these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina