U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,959 times

Advertisements

I lived in EC for quite a few years. Thought it would be a quiet, southern town. I was wrong. There were some great folks there-don't get me wrong. But the good old boy network rules. I have been gone now for almost as many years as I lived there and I have a sneaking suspicion that nothing has changed much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 PM

263 posts, read 973,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giseleverde View Post
Thought it would be a quiet, southern town. I was wrong. There were some great folks there-don't get me wrong. But the good old boy network rules.

Ah, but the good ol' boys are what keeps southern towns quiet and sleepy!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM

53 posts, read 181,680 times
queenjulie,

gigimac, Ann, and michiganmom hit the nail right on the head. Churches make up the social center of the town, and if you aren't part of that, you will be excluded at best and derided at worst. There is even a large fundamentalist Christian college in the town, if that tells you anything. Maybe you can find some civic activities to get involved in, but even that may be difficult. Which leads to my next point: there's not much to do there, especially if you're in the 25-35 age range (well, there are a few cool thrift and used bookstores if you like that sort of thing). If your husband is going to work there, you should live in another town, like VA Beach (I can't believe I'm telling anyone to go to that overcrowded place, but you will be more likely to find like-minded people there). If you absolutely must live in E City, follow gigimac's advice and be very careful about how you express your beliefs. It's a hostile climate for anyone who's not a fundamentalist Christian, and while it's a nice place to visit for an afternoon if you want to be near water, visit local shops, and have a picnic in the park, I would not want to live or socialize there.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,718 times
Well, whether there is anything to do in Elizabeth city depends on what a person is looking for. if you are looking for a place with a itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny mall, very high bills, and houses that may make you question whether or not it is safe to live in them; you are definately coming to the right place. I have lived here all of my life and I must say that I am still looking for the " harbor of hospitality."

Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,978 times
Default Would not recommend EC or northeast NC

We have been in northeast NC for several years. My impression is that it is noticeably racist and the NC State Police just cannot be trusted. Try to avoid coming in contact with the NC State Police, local police and the judicial establishment - you will be much better off.

Regarding employment, I know I said that the area is racist, but in some occupations the employers are actively looking for non-whites. While interviewing for a position a while back the interviewer volunteered how he had great interest in hiring a non-white person for the job. I apoligized for not being non-white and wished him well in getting the skin color he wanted for the job.

All in all, if you have options as to where to live or visit, you would do well to consider places other than the Elizabeth City area.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 AM

69 posts, read 159,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I think Virginia is more of a melting pot for people than NOrth Carolina my husband works in Virginia. The Ocean is great but it isn't something we want to do all the time. There are certain parts of Elisabeth City that I heard was not great to live in. Lots of people like Camden which I think is over priced to rent. I don't have any friends here either. Neighbors are friendly but like I said you never see people outside. At least I don't.
You shouldn't take your experience in EC and apply it to a state that has a tremendous amount of geographic and cultural diversity. Northeaster NC is known as the most conservative part of the state hands down. You can't tell me Raleigh Durham is not a melting pot. Charlotte, Asheville, Boone, Wilmington even the Triad area have assimilated just as many outsiders as VA. Your comment would be like someone moving to southwestern VA and then visiting Boone and making a similar observation only in reverse. I feel NC and VA are quite similar only VA has a leg up in wealth by virtue of being beside DC and a smaller rural population. In fact NC is far more like VA than SC despite the fact that everyone clumps the Carolinas into one state.

To the OP, I wouldn't mess with that part of the state if you don't have to. I'm use to very conservative and religious southerners and have nothing against them. They can be very friendly and polite and as an ex-banker they would see me on the surface as fitting right in. But I need to see some crunchy granola types to feel at home.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
Hi, I live in Edenton which is about 30 minutes from EC. I am an attachment style mama and an atheist (we do exist here). I strongly suggest you do not discuss your religious beliefs in this area, they will not be accepted AT ALL. If you can (I realize this is an older post) I strongly recommend that you relocate to the hampton roads area. There are a ton of fundies up there too but there are also more open minded populations and an attachment parenting group. GL. I wish we never bought a home down here, with the market the way it is it would completely stupid of us to move right now so I am forced to stay for a while. It sucks to be surrounded by such racist fundies all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina