Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 AM

190 posts, read 866,584 times

Advertisements

We are possibly looking at moving to the NC Coast for retirement.

October we are taking our first trip out to see the area. Since we are staying at Bald Head Island, and since it has had some good write-ups, Southport is on our list.

We are looking for places that are within 30 min of: the ocean, accessible to a larger community for cultural events, a good hospital (my husband has a heart condition), a good airport, veterinary care, restaurants other than chains, and boating access nearby.

We'd like essential shopping to be in the town itself - a pharmacy and a grocery store.

One "must" is low crime. I was shocked when I looked at Shallotte and Ocean Isle at the high crime rate.

We'd like a place with a "real" downtown, where independent shops thrive and the malls haven't taken over.

Ideally we think we'd like to be in some sort of development - but not an over 55+ - which is nicely done, attractive, quiet and walkable.

We've been to Chapel Hill area several times now and fell in love with Fearrington - that is the sort of development we like - kept the trees, have a bank, bookstore, village market right in the development - have a community pool and tennis courts and walking and bike trails, however, given all things being equal, we would prefer to be closer to the ocean.

We love the people in NC - so friendly! We think the state has alot to offer and are excited about seeing the coast, as we truly love the ocean - we live 2 blocks from it now. We are anxious to escape the bitter, long winters though (we live in MA). Our town now is 17K that we live in, but we are open to smaller towns, as long as something larger is not too far away for the things we mentioned. We are pretty simple, and like quiet, not glitz and action.

On our list so far are: Sunset Beach, Holden Beach, St. James, Boiling Spring Lakes, Southport and Oak Island.

Can anyone comment? Rule any of these out based on our criteria or add others? We are sticking to Brunswick County right now. Will see Crystal Coast at another time where we might check out Beaufort. We ruled out New Bern due to the high crime there.

Also, can anyone give us names of developments to check out that might meet our criteria? Our needs are modest, but we would like a single family home rather than a condo - 1,500 sq ft - 1,800 sq ft - 300-400K price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Are any of these worth checking out?

Here are the developments in/near Southport we have read about. Wondering if any of these are worth checking out....

Indigo Plantation
Arbor Creek
The Landing @ Southport
Winding River
Carolina Place
Marsh Creek
South Harbour Village

It appears from what I have looked at, Holden Beach is out of our price range, as is Devaun at Calabash.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,511 times
They are always adding new developments now and then. Those are the most heard developments. I don't know them all. You will like living in these area. I lived on Oak Island for two years but just recently moved due to my husband job in Missouri. I loved the beach at Oak Island. Ummm about hospital there is only one that is in Southport and it is mostly for older folks. Now you can drive to Brunswick hospital which is about a half hour in Shallotte or drive to Wilmington for about 1 or so. I just wanted you to be aware of that. If you have any other questions that I can help you out with let me know? There are tons of pharmarcy in the area.
Boiling Spring Lakes is beautiful you have to drive to Southport to do your shopping, post office and other needs. It is about 20-35 min drive depends where you live. St.James has a variety of people such as retirment but family neighborhoods. St. James has a golf course,swimming pool (remember you have share with kids too),tennis courts, group activities and you still have to drive into southport for your shopping which is about 20-35 min as well. Oak Island offers tennis court, no public pool, golf course,basketball court,park,trails,you can ride your bikes on the island, ride golf carts as well, beach, Recreation center if you live on the island you can use the gym a dollar a day and the provide other activities as well with a small fee, ummm seasonal kayaking on the streams and we have a nature center and turtle musuem. There is a brand new grocery store on the island but I still drove to Walmart for my grocery shopping and use the one on the island for small stuff. There is a pharmacy, some doctors office on the island as well. That is all I can think of for you. Oh yeah winding river is further out of the area that you would do most of your shopping shallotte and I think it is about 30 min or so or you can drive to southport which would be about the same I think . I am not sure on this.

Last edited by kareybear; 09-10-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM

197 posts, read 957,767 times
This in the Leland area, about 10 minutes to downtown Wilmington.
I haven't been here, but it looks nice.

The Bluffs on the Cape Fear

I'm not sure there is any development in Brunswick that really compares to Fearrington and its open space and Village Center. So much development packs as much into the space as possible. Also the land here is very flat, no rolling hills like in Orange County.

Winding River is nice, but unless it's changed in the past year, you have to travel at least 20-30 mins. for basic shopping. There's more coming to Supply, so that might be down to a 10-15 min. drive in the near future, if not already.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSC View Post
This in the Leland area, about 10 minutes to downtown Wilmington.
I haven't been here, but it looks nice.

The Bluffs on the Cape Fear

I'm not sure there is any development in Brunswick that really compares to Fearrington and its open space and Village Center. So much development packs as much into the space as possible. Also the land here is very flat, no rolling hills like in Orange County.

Winding River is nice, but unless it's changed in the past year, you have to travel at least 20-30 mins. for basic shopping. There's more coming to Supply, so that might be down to a 10-15 min. drive in the near future, if not already.

Good luck!
Your right Leland is nice because your right outside of Wilmington the big city for everyday life but when it come to the beach you gotta a good hour or so. If you want the small town feel-southport,boiling spring lakes,oak island,bolivia,supply,winnabow and shallotte are great places

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 PM

I also need to mention the community of Oak Island, Southport and Boiling Spring lakes have numberous clubs that you can join to keep yourself active. I also need to tell you that all the developments you mention are not just retirement homes. There are quite of few of older folks there as well as families. I also should tell you that I like St. James but the down size about St. James is going through the Security gate is a joke and I have quite of few friends that have family that lives in there that like it as well. I also have one retired couples that live there are really great people who moved from Colorado said the older folks are kinda of snobbish but you might see it different than her and him. These people have join groups activity from St. James and she said they love to gossip like you did in High School and they know everyone business but over all she likes living there.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Your right Leland is nice because your right outside of Wilmington the big city for everyday life but when it come to the beach you gotta a good hour or so. If you want the small town feel-southport,boiling spring lakes,oak island,bolivia,supply,winnabow and shallotte are great places
I would disagree that you are an hour from the beach at Leland. You are at most about 30 minutes from Wrightsville or Carolina Beaches. Brunswick County beaches around 30-45 minutes, depending on where you go. Also, the community in Leland I mentioned has a beach clubhouse at Oak Island as an amenity.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Nuclear Power Plant in Southport??

I just was reading in a guide book I got on the area that (their words) "South port would be considered quaint were it not for it being overshadowed by the nuclear power plant there".

Can anyone give me more details on this?

We have one here 1/2 hour or so from where we live, so I'm not concerned from a safety standpoint, but they made it sound like it's some big eyesore.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
I just was reading in a guide book I got on the area that (their words) "South port would be considered quaint were it not for it being overshadowed by the nuclear power plant there".

Can anyone give me more details on this?

We have one here 1/2 hour or so from where we live, so I'm not concerned from a safety standpoint, but they made it sound like it's some big eyesore.

It's on highway 133 on the way into town. Unless you actually go onto the property, it's not really obvious. It's a couple of miles from the "quaint" downtown area. Only eyesore(?) might be the "cooling canal" on the way into town, but that's about it.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
You have to know where it is to see it. Only part you really notice is the visitors center.

The Military terminal is more of *there* than the nuke plant. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina