U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,503 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are in our 80s and although I am in pretty good shape my wife has several health problems and I am the 100% caregiver.
There is a big possibility that my daughter & her husband will be moving to a new job in Southport and they want us to be near them. If this comes to fruition, it would probably happen around early summer.
We presently live in a single standing 1600 sq.ft one floor condo on a golf course. We would be interested in something similar, price range $150,000 - $250,000. Would appreciate any suggestions, advice - positive/negative on making such a move.
Access to doctors, hospitals, possibly Senior Citizen residences etc., would help. Within reasonable driving distance to Presbyterian Church and not too far from beaches etc. I have always wanted to live in a small seaside town.
What are taxes and City Council like? Will look forward to hearing from anyone who has either positive or negative advice.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,674 times

Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,674 times
Default First Floor Condo Available for sale or rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranwell39 View Post
My wife & I are in our 80s and although I am in pretty good shape my wife has several health problems and I am the 100% caregiver.
There is a big possibility that my daughter & her husband will be moving to a new job in Southport and they want us to be near them. If this comes to fruition, it would probably happen around early summer.
We presently live in a single standing 1600 sq.ft one floor condo on a golf course. We would be interested in something similar, price range $150,000 - $250,000. Would appreciate any suggestions, advice - positive/negative on making such a move.
Access to doctors, hospitals, possibly Senior Citizen residences etc., would help. Within reasonable driving distance to Presbyterian Church and not too far from beaches etc. I have always wanted to live in a small seaside town.
What are taxes and City Council like? Will look forward to hearing from anyone who has either positive or negative advice.
Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM

214 posts, read 736,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranwell39 View Post
Thanks.
Moving at any time or age can be rather stressful to say the least, but it is very important to try to stay as close to family as possible, especially during these times.
Given the fact that your daughter and her husband are moving to Southport, I would imagine they would be the very best source of information for you from an objective standpoint.
From a more personal perspective and from some one who lives here, it would probably be a wonderful place for you and your wife. We have Dosher Mem. Hospital, Brunswick Comm. Hospital, and many doctors in the area in private practice.
It would be feasible for you to find something in your price range here, would you have to sell first? Our taxes are very moderate, and they will all depend upon which area you are looking into. You can go to Brunsco.net, for all tax information.
Hope this has helped and good luck! If there is anything else I or others can assist you with, please feel free to ask.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,503 times
Default Possible move to Southpiort

Thanks for your reply and I agree, moving at any time can be stressful but during our 65 years of married life we have moved over 30 times and that included moving overseas!
My enquiry is really exploratory as any move on our part would depend on whether our daughter decides to move. We spent 12 years in South Africa in a coastal town and I loved it and would love to live in a small town by the ocean again.
Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated and I will research the sites you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina