U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,812 times

Advertisements

I live on Long Island. I'm looking for a nice development in a friendly town. I would like a little bit of distance between my house and neighbors. My husband is retiring from the post office. I'm an RN and will be looking for a job. I'm hearing the jobs are hard to come by. Is that the same for nursing? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by emmylou2; 03-02-2009 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM

713 posts, read 3,477,079 times
Smile Nursing jobs seem plentiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou2 View Post
I live on Long Island. I'm looking for a nice development in a friendly town. I would like a little bit of distance between my house and neighbors. My husband is retiring from the post office. I'm an RN and will be looking for a job. I'm hearing the jobs are hard to come by. Is that the same for nursing? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't know how the pay is, but there are always nursing jobs in the papers. There are basically three hospitals in our area. You can probably find a detailed post on hospitals by searching for posts by me.

Most lots in our end of Carteret County are at least 1/3 acre. Finding something one half acre is fairly easy. There are spots with larger lots. It just depends on how much space you want. Five acre lots are not impossible but harder to find.

How close you are to water and what type of water it is has the most impact on pricing. There is plenty to choose from, and most of the county is close to the water.

If beach access is important, you should ask about that. We live on a river and are about ten minutes from the beach and good parking.

We're close to Emerald Isle and its great beaches. We have wonderful boating, a nice climate, great trails in the National Forest, very good schools, modern services, and small town life with lots of area festivals. We don't have a traffic problem and the beaches never get really crowded.

There are plenty of homes (3 bedroom/ 2 bath) from about $165K up to whatever your budget can stand. There are some under that price, but the number is limited close to the beaches.

Check my area blog, the index of old posts, this area map, and these archived articles.

My article on why we moved here.

Some photos from 2008.

We love living here, lots of people do. One of the administrative people in our office is from NY. She is far from the only one. Outsiders are welcome here.

If you have more questions just let me know.

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-02-2009 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM

25 posts, read 65,485 times
Default relocated from ny

thanks for answering my thread. I've heard many people talking about the hiring freeze in Charlotte area even for nurses. Hard to believe. Is it that bad in nc? Where do you live? Sounds like your really happy which is great

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 AM

23 posts, read 77,811 times
Check out CareerBuilder.com for RN positions. Most of the jobs listed on that site are in the medical field. If you are having a hard time finding work and are open to other cities in NC, check out the Raleigh area. I have a friend that has been living in Raleigh for the past 2 ys and loves it. She just purchased a home in Cary and commutes to Rex hospital (about 20-30 min depending on time of day!)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM

447 posts, read 1,384,483 times
Hiring freezes are dependent on the county or private system that owns or operates that hospital. The state of NC has a hiring freeze on non-emergency personnel, but that doesn't apply to trying to find nurses. You would probably always be able to find a nursing job at any state-run institution (mental, prison, etc). Brunswick county is a nice location. It's across the river from Wilmington and has the Brunswick county hospital and a growing number of private practices. Home prices and acreage there depend on how far from the water you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina