U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 9,797 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Carteret County and would like to look for a condo in a neighborhood with the best school district for my 11 year old daughter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

713 posts, read 3,472,990 times
Smile Not sure zip codes will help you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirish View Post
I am relocating to Carteret County and would like to look for a condo in a neighborhood with the best school district for my 11 year old daughter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I hate to say it, but our zip codes are pretty weird down here. We live in the western end of the county and our zip code, 28584, is for Swansboro which is in Onslow County.

I know people who have kids in White Oak Elementary, Broad Creek Middle School, and Croatan High School. They are very pleased with the schools.

Croatan High School recently won recognition as one of the top six hundred high schools in the US.

This is the web site for Carteret County Schools, you can explore the schools and then go to the attendance zones to see the areas covered by each school.

You will not find condos in all areas of Carteret County.

If you like the sound of the schools that I mentioned, you can search in Cedar Point, Peletier, and Cape Carteret, all of which have the Swansboro zip code of 28584. There are a number of condos in Emerald Isle, 28594, which also goes to the western schools.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM

69 posts, read 197,362 times
Broad Creek Middle would be an excellent school for your daughter. My nephew is in the 8th grade and from what I have observed from his performance, she would do well there. The zip is 28570 (HWY 24).

Old 03-05-2009, 05:37 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,270 times
Condos can be found all over Carteret County-Not just the beach and not just on the western end of the county as suggested earlier.

Newport, Morehead City and Beaufort (to name a few) all have a range of condos and townhouses to choose from. A quick search on the Crystal Coast shows 363 condos currently for sale system wide.
Carteret County has 3 High Schools, East Carteret, West Carteret and Croatan High School.
It has 4 Middle Schools, Beaufort Middle, Newport Middle, Morehead Middle and Broad Creek Middle.

Bill

Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,797 times
Thanks for your input. I've found that Croatan High School is the best....how can I locate properties within this school district?

Also, I plan to come down in the next month - can you recommend somewhere to stay in that area?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Smile Places to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirish View Post
Thanks for your input. I've found that Croatan High School is the best....how can I locate properties within this school district?

Also, I plan to come down in the next month - can you recommend somewhere to stay in that area?
I can recommend the Best Western Silver Creek in Cedar Point. It is clean safe and easy to find. It is on the left about a mile or so east after the last Swansboro bridge. You will often get directions for it that show it in Swansboro, but it is in Cedar Point.

The telephone number is 252-393-9015

Their 800 number is 877-459-1448 AAA rate this month is $81.89 for a standard room, you should book as early as possible since they can book up.

As a point of reference, you will NOT find condos in all areas. For example there are none listed in MLS for sale in Cape Carteret which happens to be in western Carteret County and is one of the nice residential areas that feeds Croatan High School.

There are however, 11 condo units listed for sale in Cedar Point. The prices range from $125K to $329K. Cedar Point & Emerald Isle both send their students to Croatan. Emerald Isle has a lot of condos. There are other places to look, but those are two good places to start.

If the Best Western Silver Creek does not work for you, check out my travel guide for Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) which has links for several places to stay. There are a number of hotels in Morehead City which is around 20 minutes from Cape Carteret/Cedar Point.

Let me know if you need more information.

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-05-2009 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: left out some info

Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,270 times
As a point of reference, you will NOT find condos in all areas. For example there are none listed in MLS for sale in Cape Carteret...............There are however, 11 condo units listed for sale in Cedar Point.

Huh, you do realize that Cedar Point and Cape Carteret abutt each other and have a combined width of maybe 4 or 5 miles.

Besides-as you very well know-Where a property is listed is a Realtor "Thing". That's why a lot of the listing down HWY. 24 have a Newport address although not located in Newport.
But I do find it fascinating how all roads seem to lead to the far western end of the county according to some.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Smile This is getting way off track

I am not interested in doing anything but helping the person find the school she wants and a place close by the school.

I am not interested in arguing with you.

I am just providing information as to where to look. And if you are looking for condos that feed students to Croatan High, the best places to start are Cedar Point and Emerald Isle.

I don't want them wasting their time looking in Cape Carteret which happens to be where I work.

If you want to discuss this off line. I will be glad to do that, but I stand by my recommendation to look in Cedar Point & Emerald Isle not Cape Carteret.

It is not just a Realtor® thing, lots of people do searching without Realtors and giving them specific locations helps them especially if they are trying to stay in a particular school zone.

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-06-2009 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,750,911 times
Heck, I was surprised Carteret County has more than one ZIP Code . Good on you!

lln

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Best I can tell Carteret County has nineteen zip codes of its own and borrows one 28584 from Onslow for a total of twenty, but I am sure someone else might have another total. We could sure use one of our own for Cedar Point, Cape Carteret, and Peletier. Insurance companies and delivery men would be a lot less confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina