Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 29,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How is the diving in NC.

Is the water very clear for diving either in the lakes or on the coast?

Are there alot of places to go diving?

Living in FL now of course where the waters are crystal clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
the water in florida esp near the gulf is clear due to it being in that location. Our coast line is part of the atlantic ocean and the depth in general is deeper and rougher seas but there is deep sea diving options You can find companies who will assist in your exploration on the outer banks, the crystal coast and down in wilmington.

You might find one that will take you out to explore the many ship wrecks around diamond shoals.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 AM

85 posts, read 428,396 times
This website should provide a lot of information on North Carolina.

Visit NC | The Official Tourism Site for the State of North Carolina.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 29,683 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM

150 posts, read 599,277 times
Default NC Diving

The diving here is perhaps some of the best on the east coast. Off shore we get the gulf stream that keeps the water at least 60 degrees year round with the temps increasing during the summer. as far as visibility you will see it range from 10ft to as much as 100ft

We have the best wreck diving on the east coast with several wrecks in the 80 ft or shallower. I have been down on at least 10 different wrecks ih this depth range as well as a few others 100 ft and deeper. My favorite is the german U-Boat U352. If shark diving is your bag there are several sites that will provide an amazing number of sand tigers. Enough to keep you watching your back.

There are a few really good dive operators on the coast of NC. I particularly like Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City as well as Discovery divers across the bridge from Morehead in Beaufort NC. They both have nice boats big enough to handle choppy seas in comfort as well as six packs depnding on the destination and number of divers. There are not as many operators in the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area and the boats tend to be smaller craft handling six or so divers. The dive sites in this area are not as good as around the Morehead City area. Oh by the way it is believed that a dive expedition has found Black Beard's flag ship Queen Anne's Revenge some where in the sound around Beaufort Inlet, however the site is being kept secret. Discovery Divers was the operator for the expedition to find the ship. A special was aired on the Discovery Channel several years ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions about NC diving. I will answer as best as I can. So long and happy diving.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 13,511 times
I need help. My son is a marine, loves to dive and is coming off a 8 month depolyment. He has had water all around him, but could not get in. He returns next week to Lejune. I would love to surprise him with being able to get him in the water as soon as he returns. I need to know where to take him and if they have dive partners to pair him up with in NC. I can not dive so he is solo at the moment. If you have any info, I would appriciate the help and direction. Thanks, Marine Mom

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM

169 posts, read 583,255 times
As southernpixie said, best diving on the east coast. Go to

Olympus Dive Center

Olympus Dive Center is in Morehead city about 30 miles from Camp Lejuene.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Go to YouTube-Tons of GREAT underwater video of dives out of Discovery and Olympus Dive.
Waters south of Hatteras are different than the waters north of it. The southern waters are warmer and clearer year round.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina