U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 27,797 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to relocate in or near Winterville, NC. I am very confused though. I have read that Winterville is a great, safe, friendly place to live. But the schools in Pitt county are not that good. Also I have read that the closest place to do shopping, Greenville, has a huge crime rate. Schools and crime are very important to me and I want to make sure we don't move somewhere that we will regret within a year. I prefer to live in the country but close enough to a small city so that there are things to do. Any suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
Both towns have good and bad areas, with Winterville probably having lower crime. The two towns actually come pretty close to sharing a border in a few areas - they are that close together. Winterville's school district has a pretty good reputation.

The Firetower Road area has pretty high growth and lots of nice subdivisions in a variety of price ranges, but definitely does not qualify as country living anymore. If you look out in the eastern side of the area there are a lot of subdivisions outside of the city limits.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 27,797 times
Thank you so much for your input! Can you recommend any places in particular that would be better than others? How about areas to stay away from?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:03 PM

I would say areas like Firetower Road, Evans/Old Tar Road, Portertown Road, etc. would have good safe neighborhoods. If I werer moving to the area, i'd look in the southeastern, eastern parts of town which is where you'll find many of the areas suburban locations. There are so many neighborhoods with varying price ranges that is tough to make a recommendation.

I shop in Greenville all the time...it's the only place to do shopping around here. Target, Best Buy, etc are all in town.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
The crime in Greenville/Winterville is no different than any other average metro with over 100,000 people living in it. If people are getting mugged outside of a bar at 2:00 AM you have to ask yourself why they're still up and outside at 2:00 AM next to a bar. You know what I mean?

A lot of the complaints about crime are coming from those people who remember back when Greenville was a sleepy little town with under 50,000 people living there. Back then the number of crimes was half of what it is now but guess what? There were only half as many people here then.

There are portions of Greenville I wouldn't go into after dark but those areas are readily apparent to even the most casual observer and are generally confined to northwest Greenville and north of the river.

As pointed out by Lithuania above, you can go from Greenville into Winterville and never even known that you've done it.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,962 times
Hi can anyone tell me is Worthington RD Winterville NC is it in a safe, friendly place to live at as i'm looking to move my family there from england uk also what are the house prices like there???

Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Worthington Road is about 3 or 4 miles long. It runs from east Greenville right on into Winterville. You're probably just wondering about Winterville it's self. It's not too bad. There are some new subdivisions there. It will be significantly different from where you are now.

As an aside.... One of my customers was a small girl during the London Blitz. She has some very interesting stories about what went on during that terrible period of time.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:27 PM

107 posts, read 215,019 times
I understand that Winterville has a great seafood restaurant, and people come from all around to eat there...

Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Are you speaking of The Dixie Queen or Wimpies? Wimpies closed as the owners retired but a new restaurant has opened in its place.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM

107 posts, read 215,019 times
Dixie Queen....Have heard alot of good things about it...Also supposed to be a great Amish Restaurant down Hwy 118 somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina